INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipod set up  (Read 3518 times)

tterrag

• Recent member
Ipod set up
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:45:37 am »

I have MC11 - I've tried and tried to get it to accept my ipod.
I've gone over the quick start instructions 10 times -
MC accepts it for 1 second than I get the handheld message no handheld available.  I follow those instructions and still get "no handheld available"   I've turned off itunes - tried and tried.   
I seldom ask questions - and I love MC but I'm getting anxious to load this thing.   HELP.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ipod set up
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:56:52 am »

It's OK to ask questions.  That's what this place is for.  Do you have a very recent version of MC11.1?  If not, please update.

You can copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 10:11:03 am »

And it keeps shutting down with warnings.  I've backed up and rebooted - here is the system:
Media Center Registered 11.1.191 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1816 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 660 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: SONY    CD-RW  CRX225E    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX225E     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: SONY     DVD RW DW-U14A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 10:48:05 am »

This has become a real problem -  I plug in the Ipod and MC shuts down completely.   I'm real nervous about taking MC off and reloading.   Lots of music on there.
Whatever you advise - do it simply.
Thanks.

SwellGuy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 11:52:04 am »

First, make sure you have the latest build (11.1.194) installed (available at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35261.0).

Second, follow the suggestions in this post (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35395.msg241414#msg241414) when updating your iPod.

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »

I'm a regular person, with a lot of music, pix, videos.  I am fair with computer but a lot of this I don't understand - I installed 11.1 and still get the same message re: the IPOD.  The second message is beyond me - but it doesn't matter anyway as MC does not recognize my handheld (i-pod).   
Frustrated!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:09:10 pm »

And it keeps shutting down with warnings.
When you say "it", do you mean MC or the iPod.

It sounds like there may be a basic hardware issue.  Did you try the suggestions on the Apple site that are listed in our "Getting Started" thread?

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:34:04 pm »

it means MC is shutting down.    MC hasn't shut down since i installed 11.1 BUT I still get the "no handheld message".   I was following the instructions - never got beyond the part "MC will detect, etc".

SwellGuy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 02:18:19 pm »

You might have corrupt information on your iPod that is causing this problem. There are two things you should try to fix this problem:

Make sure you're running the latest version of MC
You are running MC version 11.1.191, there have been several iPod related fixes since that version. The latest version can be downloaded by clicking on this link:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter111197.exe

Restore the iPod with iPod Updater
If you don't have the iPod Updater application installed on your machine, download it from Apple's website. Once installed, run it and select "Restore". This will wipe your iPod clean and restore the iPod to factory settings. When done try running MC again to see if the problem is still happening.

Send us a log file
If, after trying both of those things, you are still having problems disconnect the iPod and open up MC, turn on handheld logging as described in this post (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34887.msg238911#msg238911), reconnect the iPod, wait for MC to crash and send me the log file.

Regards,
Rick

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:57:46 pm »

I've pretty much had it.   I tried the restore - it looked like it was going to work then didn't.   
I'm not going to "let it crash" & send a log - simply beyond me!!
I do not like this forum - half the time, I can't find my way back to where I began.   
I have a problem - it's serious to me - I'm not a tech person, I'm not a geek.  I'm better then average with the computer. 
I've used MC, liked it, and as you know - I can convert my music and still get it on the ipod - just an extra step - pain.

Today I still like MC - but am disappointed with the support system.  I do not like fixing a problem this way.   I've had it for today - which has been mostly wasted  waiting for messages on trying to load an ipod.
My email is [removed].   I'm not checking back here - I simply don't like it. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 10:21:15 am »

Sorry you're frustrated.  We're trying our best to help.  You've received prompt help from multiple JRiver employees.

Could you please try SwellGuy's suggestions, one-by-one and let us know what you find.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 07:54:20 am »

Well here I am "at least" 120 days later with trial verison of MC12 and guess what?   My IPOD is still not recognized - even when I do the redirect/opions thing.  Any comment?
IPOD Model MA002LL.

SwellGuy

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 08:03:42 am »

What version of MC 12 are you running? (Make sure you are running the latest.)

Please go to the Help menu in MC 12 and turn on handheld logging to a file, restart MC, wait a few minutes, go back to the Logging screen and email me (rick @ jriver) the log files.

Can you respond to the suggestions I made in my earlier post?

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:53:49 am »

Version - it just says MC12 .0164- downloaded as an update.

I've tried everything you have suggested on MC11 except the Crashing - which I was reluctant to do.    I am exclusively using 12 now though 11 is still on the computer.

The handheld was turned on but I restarted anyway.  I'm not sure I can email the logging files as they say they are empty.  I have not tried set-up for the IPOD again.

tterrag

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:36:35 am »

I certainly can't explain it - but my ipod is now recognized and I managed to experiment with a few songs.   Relieved that a progam I like is finally doing what I want it to.
Guess this means - I'll pay for the upgrade.     
Regardless, I do not like this help forum  - gotta be a better way.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 08:57:19 pm »

Regardless, I do not like this help forum  - gotta be a better way.
Courage.  And patience, please.
Pages: [1]   Go Up