INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB cover art submission  (Read 8411 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
YADB cover art submission
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:26:52 pm »

1. NEW: Added YADB cover art lookup / submission. (please submit any albums you have good covers for)

Yay!!!
Is the cover art associated with every track or is a representative track with the Artist and Album in the tag sufficient.

If the latter, I've just submitted about 100. If the former, I've got to do it again.

Also, if the latter, can it be done en masse from the cover art directory if the file name also has the "Artist - Album"?

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re: YADB cover art submission
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:51:50 pm »

It's associated by album title.

JR Staff.....

I did a specific test for you.
Artist: Enuff Z'Nuff
Album:  Welcome to Blue Island

also Journey - Departure and a few others

I picked this really obscure album since noone else would affect the test.
First, I uploaded it when art was around 200x200.
Then I uploaded it again when art was 900x900.
You could check to see if the larger one replaced the smaller one or whatever you want to happen in the case of multiple submissions.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:30:31 pm »

I
First, I uploaded it when art was around 200x200.
Then I uploaded it again when art was 900x900.
You could check to see if the larger one replaced the smaller one or whatever you want to happen in the case of multiple submissions.

We need some better kind of criteria at some point but the way it works now is that the larger one replaces the smaller one.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:30:31 am »

So should I select the audio files that have cover art and do right-click > image > submit to internet?

What happens then? Does it retry on each album track? How the images are identified in the database?

What happens on a lookup?

The function seem to be available also with video files. Does this work too? Does it use only the name tag then?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:12:01 am »

It's associated by album title.
I hope that artist is included with the album title, otherwise, there's going to be a lot of Greatest Hits up there.  ;)
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:37:40 am »

It's fine to pick your whole audio library and submit.  It'll only do each album once.

Currently it keys off of the artist and album.  We're still brainstorming about DVD support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:42:16 am »

I have a bunch of dvd art already.  Let me know when you'd like me to submit it.

Can you verify if my re-submission of larger coverart worked properly?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:35:09 am »

Question from another thread that I'd also like the answer to.
Need a smartlist that includes album art with dimensions less than 300x300.
In order to exclude them from submitting to internet and also having a nice playlist that details what we can search for better art for.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 11:39:07 am »

So to get the album art into our files, do we do a Get Image From Internet, or a Get Track Info From YADB?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 11:47:33 am »

So to get the album art into our files, do we do a Get Image From Internet, or a Get Track Info From YADB?

Use "Get Image From Internet".

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:46 pm »

Use "Get Image From Internet".

And does that only pull from YADB now?  (i'm not exactly sure where it pulled from before).  Will that be a step backward in the short term as YADB gets populated?

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 12:59:29 pm »

I'm submitting at this very moment all the covers from Artists starting with "0-9" and "A". That's 1,025 covers.

The problem is that MC becomes irresponsive during the procedure, as it does (did?) when getting cover art from the internet, so I probably will have to let it run overnight.

Is yadb relying on the "Album Artist" by chance?? If so, we'll have to sort something out for submitting the Compilations albums.

RobOK

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 01:05:41 pm »

The problem is that MC becomes irresponsive during the procedure, as it does (did?) when getting cover art from the internet, so I probably will have to let it run overnight.

I noticed this too.  The display stops updating and when you get to the end of song, playback does not continue.  You can hit Cancel though, and it pops back to normal.  Just very single threaded at the moment.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »

Is yadb relying on the "Album Artist" by chance?? If so, we'll have to sort something out for submitting the Compilations albums.

It should always use "Album Artist (auto)". Though, even that is not going to work if more than one various artists albums happen to have the same album name.

Another problem can be album names like "name - CD1", "name (Disc 2)" etc. At least there should be a tooltip that would instruct to use just the plain album name exactly as it is written on the CD cover and the disc number field separately.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Deivit

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 02:30:25 pm »

Ok, I've submitted some 3,000 covers (not files, albums) so far... for artists starting with numbers (0-9) and letters A, B.

Would you like to take a look at how are you receiving them before I continue to submit more albums or shall I go ahed and leave the thing on tonight??

LonWar

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 02:43:34 pm »

I just uploaded 1200 albums... All with art.
-

RobOK

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 02:48:20 pm »

I've uploaded a bunch ~1000.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 03:49:45 pm »

Thanks for uploading everyone. 

If our experiment is a success, we'll likely make getting missing cover art work in an (optional) background thread instead of blocking the UI like it does now.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 03:58:16 pm »

A feature request: Add a YADB cover art browser to the Start page. It could be a password protected HTML page. It should have a mechanism for downloading. MC could handle the password part automatically so that outsiders would not be able to steal our YADB bandwidth.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 04:31:05 pm »

Almost 8000 images uploaded now!

j

Deivit

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 04:54:14 pm »

I'm gonna let it uploading overnight, then  ;)

OK, 13,500 more images are on the way. Hope they get thru.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 08:13:57 pm »

Dontcha just LOVE us?
That's right.
I'm cool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 10:21:58 pm »

Will it be possible to ask MC to get Image From Internet and have it download higher quality art than what we already have?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 01:09:08 am »

1. NEW: Added YADB cover art lookup / submission. (please submit any albums you have good covers for)

Does this feature allow one to "see" the new cover art before actually applying it to the file?  I have some albums lower quality art that I'd like to "upgrade" to better images, but I'd like to view the new art and compare it to the existing art before commiting to the change.  Does the new feature allow this, or does it simply immediately replace the old art when you activate the feature?

Thanks,

Larry

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 07:58:12 am »

Does this feature allow one to "see" the new cover art before actually applying it to the file?

no

just like YADB thats one of the problems with it.

There is also no user settings so you have no idea what your going to get.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcwebman

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 08:34:41 am »

It sure would be nice to be able to have multiple selections to choose from. Somebody might upload the wrong cover art and since there's only one kept, you'd be getting the wrong one. Plus for some artist / album titles there are multiple covers. A recent example of this is Hoobastank's Every Man For Himself which came with a red or green cover. I would want to be able to get the correct one that I had, and if someone had the other cover, they would want to be able to get that one.
Jeff

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 08:44:17 am »

Up to 21,500! Thanks!

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 09:10:01 am »

I uploaded a few too.   :)

Does your server provide any statistics? How many discarded duplicates? How many replaced with higher resolution files?

BTW, what do you actually check? The pixel count or the file size? I think you should make a table that contains rules for the quality estimation and check both variables.

For example: Sometimes a 500x500 file can be 15 KB and sometimes it can be 100 KB. You can guess which one is compressed too much. Also, if a 400x400 file is 70 KB and a 500x500 file is 15 KB, probably the 400x400 file looks better. However, it may not be good to replace a 500x500 / 60 KB file with a 250x250 / 65KB file.

Deivit

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 01:24:41 pm »

Up to 21,500! Thanks!

j

Great! Seems that the overnight run went smoothly. That completed my single-artist albums. For the multiple-artist albums we have a small problem, though. All of them have the "Artist Album" populated according to my personal needs, in this format "Compilations - Blues", "Compilations - Country", "Compilations - Jazz", "Compilations - Pop/Rock", "Compilations - Soundtracks", and so on, you get the idea.

Therefore, submitting them as they are would be useless if you guys at JRiver rely on the "Album Artist (Auto)" field for building your images database. If you're interested let me know how do you want to get it thru.... there are around 2,000 more albums.

I could probably backup my library, get rid of all the info on "Album Artist" for those albums (they will then be (Multiple Artist) albums), submit the covers, and restore the backup. If it fails to restore, I'm dead  ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 05:16:51 pm »

You can úse the clone option in Library Manager and make a copy of the library. Disable tag writing (Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags...) and clear the Album Artist field before submitting.

Deivit

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 05:23:03 pm »

You can úse the clone option in Library Manager and make a copy of the library. Disable tag writing (Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags...) and clear the Album Artist field before submitting.

Sounds a good idea, Alex. Will try to do so.
Thank you.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 03:07:06 pm »

Does this mean that with the current system, each new submission just overwrites the current one?  Many people use 300x300 images for cover art, but if somebody submits their entire library of 100x100 images, will all the 300x300 images simply be overwritten?  It seems like this system needs to be much more robust about the way it handles multiple submissions, and offer "choices" to people when they check for cover art.  If I want to check to see if there is "better" art for an album, I don't want to wipe out my existing art for that album only to find out that the new art is even worse.

Thanks,

Larry

Deivit

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 03:15:45 pm »

Larry,

It seems not. This is what Bob said in another thread about this:

We need some better kind of criteria at some point but the way it works now is that the larger one replaces the smaller one.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 03:52:56 pm »

For example: Sometimes a 500x500 file can be 15 KB and sometimes it can be 100 KB. You can guess which one is compressed too much. Also, if a 400x400 file is 70 KB and a 500x500 file is 15 KB, probably the 400x400 file looks better. However, it may not be good to replace a 500x500 / 60 KB file with a 250x250 / 65KB file.

Very true, and i found this problem when i was making "Cover Art Finder 3" So what i did was pull it up in a invisible image box and got the real size from that to put them in a category of small, med, large and huge.

It may not have been the perfect solution to the problem but it helped cut out the bad images stretched by some users to a obscene size for no apparent reason.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 09:29:26 am »

A question:

If I already have coverart for a file, and select Image-->Get from Internet and then "Download (Always)", does MC compare the image I already have to those on the online database? Ideal behaviour would be for it to upgrade if the online one is better quality, but do nothing if mine is better (or even better, prompt the user to submit their coverart...)

Edit: Just started an upload of a few hundred movie soundtracks! I really like this feature!!! All we need now is user selection of which coverart to use and this will be unbeatable.

dcwebman

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 01:10:09 pm »

Per request of Alex B:

Request:

Now that getting cover art from the internet is working pretty well, there is no way to find out what size cover images are to determine if you want to find better ones elsewhere. It would be nice to have the File Size and Dimensions displayed just as if the image was imported and you were looking at that by itself. Right now if you hover over the cover art you get a tooltip of the filename. In the simplest solution, I wouldn't mind if a second line of the tooltip had this information like: 300x298 - 17.5KB.
Jeff

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 08:27:40 pm »

What would be REALLY nice is if you were able to actually SEE any new cover art (along with properties) while ALSO seeing the current art.  This would allow you to check for new cover art and see if it was any better than what you currently had, and select the art that met YOUR needs the best.  It's really not enough to just see "size" since I've see higher res album art that didn't look as good as lower res art due to other issues (color, etc.)

Larry

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 10:12:27 pm »

What would be REALLY nice is if you were able to actually SEE any new cover art (along with properties) while ALSO seeing the current art.  This would allow you to check for new cover art and see if it was any better than what you currently had, and select the art that met YOUR needs the best.  It's really not enough to just see "size" since I've see higher res album art that didn't look as good as lower res art due to other issues (color, etc.)

Larry
Here here!
Thanks!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 11:34:59 pm »

I'm sending ~1000 up now.  I don't use this feature myself as I like to control, on a case by case basis, the quality of the cover art.  Kind of hard to do with technology - images are difficult to judge.  Anyway, maybe people can benefit from the one's I send up.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2006, 12:31:33 am »

Of the ~1000, 840 uploaded as new.  A little surprising.  Anyway they are all high quality, enjoy.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2006, 06:43:12 am »

Uploadng 561 covers now.

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2006, 06:56:12 am »

Uploading 1350 covers... (at the same time as Qythyx)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2006, 07:18:04 am »

Of the ~1000, 840 uploaded as new.  A little surprising.  Anyway they are all high quality, enjoy.

Maybe your's is bigger
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2006, 09:58:47 am »

It doesn't matter how big it is, it's how (you use it) it works...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2006, 10:20:33 am »

Maybe your's is bigger

Most of my stuff is pretty common, so what surpirsed me is that they were not already uploaded by someone else.

I'm not sure how they do it from a quality point of view (do they keep multiple uploads based on size, etc.).  This may also be why so many got uploaded. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2006, 11:23:22 am »

It doesn't matter how big it is, it's how (you use it) it works...

"Image > Submit To Internet" works.

The YADB track info system for individual tracks has been offline for some time. I made a bug report here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35872.msg244574#msg244574

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2006, 11:26:07 am »

I uploaded a few too.   :)

Does your server provide any statistics? How many discarded duplicates? How many replaced with higher resolution files?

BTW, what do you actually check? The pixel count or the file size? I think you should make a table that contains rules for the quality estimation and check both variables.

::) ?

Edit

A few was a bit over 2000. Only about 50 was rejected, but that was just after the new system was started.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2006, 12:20:57 pm »

Is there a way, within MC, to see the image quality (size and pixels)? 

If there is, I would turn this on.  I could do a quick check & if it's OK I would keep it.  Otherwise I could put in a better quality one manualy.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2006, 01:04:22 pm »

I have had a couple of images that displayed "image not found", and some completly wrong. I would like the option to accept or cancel every image, better than finding and removing the wrong ones later.

This is a step in the right direction, the first time I have found YADB usefull.

dcwebman

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2006, 02:16:10 pm »

Is there a way, within MC, to see the image quality (size and pixels)? 

No way yet. I requested the same thing a number of posts up in this topic.
Jeff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up