INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze audio problem  (Read 3785 times)

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Analyze audio problem
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:31:15 pm »

OK, I'm about to give up on Analyze Audio.  I have tried everything I can and no matter what it will cause my computer to just randomly shut off and reboot, it will happen on the average of about 10 times an hour, doesn’t seem to be song specific as the next time I try it works fine on the same file it crashed on earlier.  The path names are short as can be and there are no special characters in the file name that I can see.  Version is 11.1.183 and all third party plugin have been disabled.

Anyone know what is going on?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Two easy questions..
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:39:02 pm »

It would be worth testing the latest build (194) from this board, but you may have a corrupt file.  Try dividing your files into smaller groups.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
Re: Analyze audio problem
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 08:07:56 pm »

OK, tried it, seems to work in small groups of 15 files of less, but can’t be sure.  Every time I select and significant portion of files it will randomly crash, doesn’t matter what the song is, and as usual the song that made it crash works perfectly the next try after reboot.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 09:02:04 pm »

Hmmm... a random crash with more files might mean something else.  Firewall?  Is the drive a local hard disk? 

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:09:52 am »

Memory going bad ?

Try running two of the free tools here for a few hours: (each with half your memory)
http://hcidesign.com/windows/

Good luck.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 03:00:53 pm »

It’s a slave disc (F) and not more then a year old, in fast the whole computer had a recent rebuild where only the motherboard/processor was kept.  It does seem to be memory related though.

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 08:18:53 pm »

Could be a processor going bad/overheating.  Maybe something happened and the heat sink slipped a bit... moved your computer lately?  If you have an app that will test your system (my favorite is SisSoft's Sandra), put it in torture mode (burn-in) and watch the temperature of your CPU to see if it is overheating.

Bill

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 03:20:58 pm »

All hardware checks good, CPU temp is normal.  All fingers point to software or memory sharing conflicts as far as i can tell.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:07:43 pm »

Rebooting is never caused by user software - at worst (if it's software related), if your drivers have failed you should at least get a blue-screen-of-death (unless your pc is set to automaticaly reboot)
ps to check that
right click my computer, click on properties, click the 'settings' button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section
Unclick 'Automatically restart' and then restart your PC

The two main sources of out-of-nowhere reboots i usually deal with are
1) Power supply - if your PSU isn't up to the job, when your PC uses too much power due to the computer running at 100% you can get random reboots
One way to check this is to try a cpu intensive test - encoding a video is usually a good bet
2) RAM - try testing your memory with a few diagnostic programs
Try running MemTest86 or similar for a few hours and see what happens

One thing I'm certain of though - there's nothing in MC that actually makes your pc reboot, it's a problem somewhere else that MC reveales when it's busy

First I'd check the automatic restart thing and if you still get reboots without a blue-screen, then I'd run the memory test programs, and if it was still ok, I'd try a bigger PSU
<grin> I can't even turn my pc on without a 650 Watt PSU

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 10:22:40 pm »

Some possibilities

You mentioned that it only occurs when you deal with more than 15 files
1) windows will use more memory in this case - possibly hittting a bad bit of ram (doing it in smaller groups might mean that the memory is being reused and it never gets to the bad bit)
2) your cpu is running too hot - it copes for small periods of overheating but fails after a longer time
3) bug ridden drivers - I'd rate this as the lowest probability, MC shouldn't be useing the drivers to just analyse a file
4) PSU can't deliver enough power over a sustained period

Could you give any specs on your system and Psu?

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 10:28:19 pm »

All hardware checks good, CPU temp is normal.  All fingers point to software or memory sharing conflicts as far as i can tell.

Have you got any values for these?
What's your temp at idle and under load?

Unless the software is runing in a higher ring level than user mode, it takes a lot of work to make a pc reboot - and even then it does the normal shutdown routine
Memory sharing is controlled by windows - if there was a problem with it, I'm pretty sure that we'd all now about it by now, you'd be able to hear the screams from 10 miles away

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 10:36:41 am »

:) kingdaddy, I hope you have solved your problem by now.  But, if not, you  could be running into the same problem I have had when trying to Analyze very short audio files of less that 4 seconds or so.  MC (through 11.1.196) seems to have a problem with these.  Files this short are pretty rare, but when you have a live album with intros to each song being seperate files of something like 4 to 12 seconds, this becomes an annoyance. 

I sent one of these short files to MC several months ago (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32783.msg224487#msg224487), but no response. 

I suppose this could be a problem not associated with MC.   If so I would appreciate anyone testing this theory and responding to this thread.

Thanks for any help with a great product, Chuck.  ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 11:38:34 am »

I am Finding this to be true on short files also

with short files normally before you hit 100 files MC will lockup and become non responsive.

when trying to brake the files down into smaller groups (like 25 files) to see if there is an offending file, i then find MC will do all the files just fine.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 12:42:42 pm »

OK, thanks, I will try that workaround.   :)

cberry1010

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 12:46:31 pm »

:-\

I tried it with 10 files selected.  MC crashed on the 8th file (4 seconds long).   :'(

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 12:52:04 pm »

I don't get MC to crash, it just becomes non responsive

I am also not on the same version.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 06:00:43 pm »

No, not a single one of these are short files, I've checked.  However I just recently got a real error dialog box without a shutdown so maybe it has some useful info.  I can post a screen shot if someone will tell me how to post a Jpeg pic on this forum.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 07:53:25 am »

I can post a screen shot if someone will tell me how to post a Jpeg pic on this forum.

You need to have a hosting site, put it on there and post the url to it in a message.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 11:32:29 am »

:) kingdaddy, I hope you have solved your problem by now.  But, if not, you  could be running into the same problem I have had when trying to Analyze very short audio files of less that 4 seconds or so.  MC (through 11.1.196) seems to have a problem with these.  Files this short are pretty rare, but when you have a live album with intros to each song being seperate files of something like 4 to 12 seconds, this becomes an annoyance. 

I sent one of these short files to MC several months ago (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32783.msg224487#msg224487), but no response. 

I suppose this could be a problem not associated with MC.   If so I would appreciate anyone testing this theory and responding to this thread.

Thanks for any help with a great product, Chuck.  ;)

This is a different problem to the origional posters 'reboot' problem  :)

Things like 'lock-ups' of programs can be usually split into 2 catagories eg
Hardware
  a file has a bad sector etc and windows hangs when trying to reading it making it look like the program has stopped
Software
  if the program locks up on totally different sets of files then you can usually assume it's a programming error (as long as you've stress tested your cpu and ram - an overheating cpu is easy to check for but ram errors are more of a pain to spot)

The origional posters problems was that his pc would reboot
Usually there are 5 main reasons for this that I deal with regulary
1) failed hardware component that dies when the temperature goes too high
2) badly written drivers
3) overheating cpu
4) bad/overheating ram
5) psu is faulty/doesn't have enough power (most psu's can only supply their peak power for about a minute their normal rated supply being about 60-75% of their rated output) after the psu hit's it's peak limit - it'll drop the wattage and your pc restarts when the motherboards sees the voltages drop below their proper values - then it'll run fine until you do the same thing again - putting your hand over the fan at the back's a reasonable test - check how warm the airflow is before and during the analysis

The most commen problems I get are
cheap/nasty ram - replace with a good brand, especially if you use more than one stick (try to get exactly the same parts)
psu - not up to the job, replace it with a decent one (if you paid £25 for a case and psu, swap it out now - a good psu alone costs more than that)
cpu overheating under stress - normally only a problem if someone has updated their cpu and not the cooler

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 04:33:06 pm »

CPU is not overheating, the PS is a 500W unit and pretty new, plus it has never done this before or since, it only happens when Analyze audio is in operation, I can peg the CPU for other processes and never get a shutdown.  I have run this (MC11) all alone with everything else shutdown and out of memory (clean boot) and it still does it consistently, the only common thing is the MC11 Analyze Audio command.  To me this says something in the software.

The dialog i got was pretty explicit and seemed to have good info but since I cant post a screen shot I'll try to summarize best I can.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 06:06:32 pm »

Here is the error dialog verbatum, looks like a media center problem alright.  Can someone help?

Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\ Media Center.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unuseal way.  Please contact applications support team for more information.

kingdaddy

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 10:27:35 am »

No ideas?   :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up