INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Images Best Practices  (Read 1733 times)

rmbean

• Recent member
Cover Art Images Best Practices
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:05:21 am »

I truely apologize as I know this has been discussed before. I am just trying to get simply clarifcation before I start this major undertaking...

I recently upgraded my iPod to one that can show cover art (new 5.5G iPod) and need to update my extensive mp3 collection to get with the times. I have 2 questions realated to this subject:

1) Is there a tool or addon that will search through my collection and attempt to find the best cover art from some repository (or repositories)?  How well does it work?

2) Does best practice dictate that I should store all my images directly in the mp3 file (I have heard this is possible but have not attempted yet), separate folder, or in the folder with the songs?   The main use of the cover art will be to upload to the iPod, but I would like to use the most managable/standard approach to make my life easier in the long run.

Any help or links to relevant threads would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to have to do this twice.

Thanks in advance!

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Re: Cover Art Images Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 06:26:42 am »

Here is an earlier thread on same topic.... there are several.  FWIW, I am still keeping mine in one central location.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35326.0

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 07:25:34 am »

The FAQ here has a couple of threads.

rmbean

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:56:11 pm »

RobOK - that thread was perfect.  Thanks for the point in the right direction.  In the files it is for me.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:18:46 pm »

HA!  Sorry but I laugh at the fact that this is a "major undertaking!"  TRY scanning at 360 DPI, auto-contrasting, cropping, and fixing defects for EVERY piece of cover art you own.

I did.  Over 700 CDs scanned and imported to FLAC quality 8 to date.  It took a while.  It was well worth it.  I have 1200x1200, high quality scans of every piece of cover I own.

Then try ripping 250 DVDs...each of which taking 3-6 hours.

Or, try scanning in 10,000 physical photos & 10,000 slides with a slide scanner.  by the way, this item isn't finished yet.

I consider those major undertakings...
I do not consider: select all, right-click, find cover art, wait a major undertaking...the portion that can't be found, okay, a few minutes there.

Sorry for the rant but it just made me laugh.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 08:58:30 am »

.. need to update my extensive mp3 collection
maybe the parent poster has a lot more than 700 :P

guessing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up