INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback Problem  (Read 1269 times)

bcrossan

• Recent member
DVD Playback Problem
« on: October 08, 2006, 07:08:29 pm »

I just started using MC11 on my newly built media PC.  I had played around with it for DVD playback on my primary desktop and had no issues.  But for some reason on the new media PC I can play music but my DVD files on my hard drive won't come up, it immediately says 'Closing DVD' after I hit play.  The biggest difference between the computers is simply the volume of other programs installed (vairous players, DVD playback software, etc.) so it got me wondering, are there certain drivers or video codecs that need to be installed to get MC11 to playback DVDs?  Any help is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD Playback Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:12:23 pm »

Try installing the DVD software that came with the drive.

bcrossan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 09:37:26 pm »

Did that when I installed the drive and just reinstalled it in case I missed part of the install the first time around, but no dice... same error.  I also tried putting in a disc and playing through MC and I get the same shutdown.  I can play it through the Nero software which is what the DVD player (Samsung) came with, so I know the drive is capable of playing movies.  Any other suggestions??  Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:16:00 am »

DVD Playback is complex and requires the cooperation of a number of separate pieces of software to work all in concert, so it can be troublesome.

My guess would be that it is very likely that the cause of your problem is related to the fact that you have a number of competing pieces of DVD playback software on your HTPC that isn't working.  Nero's DVD App (used to be called ShowTime, is it still?) will use it's own CODECs properly, but might not let other apps use it's CODECs correctly.  This can also be true of PowerDVD and WinDVD among others.  Generally, these apps all "fight" over control of your DirectShow MPEG-2 decoding duties and whichever was installed last "wins".

You may want to read my investigations in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35781.0

You can use an application like Rad Light Filter Manager (there are other options too) to selectively raise and lower the priorities of your different playback filters to find a combination that works.

I have tested extensively in that thread (as you can see) and CCCP's filters do provide everything you need, though it can be made to work with other filters as well.  You'll need to play with it a bit I would guess to get it all sorted if you have a bunch of playback software all jumbled up on the machine (and you might want to just clear some of it off).

MC12 (still in Beta) does have some built-in DirectShow filter selection capabilities.  If you're willing to deal with a beta program you could try that and play with it from within MC (rather than externally through Rad Light).  You will have to deal with some feature and program instability though as it is a beta program and still fairly early in the process.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 06:08:39 am »

Does the original software play dvd fine?

You can try and download trials of power/win dvd software too.

If everything fails, take a look at your video drivers as well and update those if you havent done so already. In case of a Nvidia or ATI card, I would suggest getting the drivers from their site instead of the card manufacturer website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up