INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing  (Read 2700 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Importing
« on: October 13, 2006, 10:03:51 am »

I think suggestions go here too, right?

I miss an 'errors only' option at the import status. When I import 17000 files and 10 failed I don't even bother trying to find the failures in the list.

Also, I miss multiple paths for import locations like the later versions of MJ 11. Not sure why this was taken out? it was ideal if you ask me.

Grtz,
Ingemar.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Importing
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 10:30:54 am »

I think suggestions go here too, right?

Yep.  Right place.

Also, I miss multiple paths for import locations like the later versions of MJ 11. Not sure why this was taken out? it was ideal if you ask me.

It wasn't taken out, it just changed.  One of MC12's best new features is that it now has an oft-requested Auto Import functionality.  To use it, go to Tools --> Auto-Import Options, which will take you to the "regular" Tools --> Options --> Library dialog.  In there, you can add folders for MC to search (and exclude them and set the options to ignore previously removed files and Fix/Remove broken links and all that).  If you check the Run auto-import in background box (under Options in that dialog) then MC will monitor those folders and automatically import any new stuff it finds (it scans when you first load MC and then when it detects that new "activity" has happened in those locations).  If you don't want MC to automatically monitor for changes for some reason, you can simply uncheck that box.  To manually start the scan of those locations, go to Tools --> Run Auto-Import Now (which is also nice if the Auto-Import isn't quick enough for you or didn't detect the new files for some reason).

I miss an 'errors only' option at the import status. When I import 17000 files and 10 failed I don't even bother trying to find the failures in the list.

Me too!!! This is a great suggestion, and I'd certainly vote for it.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 11:47:40 am »

Oke, right.

Auto import is nice, thats not the issue. But I don't want all my folders watched all the time.

I miss the folder search list in the Import screen. I understand I can set folders under Options/folders (or tools/auto import folder) but that is actually for auto import feature. I would really like to see that list of folders back in the import screen as MJ11 had it and be able to enable or disable certain paths/folders for my current manual import. I was so happy with it and now its gone. :-[

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:05:01 pm »

I miss the folder search list in the Import screen. I understand I can set folders under Options/folders (or tools/auto import folder) but that is actually for auto import feature. I would really like to see that list of folders back in the import screen as MJ11 had it and be able to enable or disable certain paths/folders for my current manual import. I was so happy with it and now its gone. :-[

The folder list is also for manual import. Just untick the "Run auto-import in background" option. You can start the import process manually by selecting Tools > Run Auto-Import Now. (Perhaps this should be changed to "Run Import Now".)

You can keep the folders in the list and change the behavior between include and exclude. Click a defined folder path in Auto-Import Options and select "Edit Folder"

Though, it would be better if the "Run Auto-Import Now" function could display the selected options and allow changing them before executing. Currently you need to check the options separately.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:20:03 pm »

One thing that bothers me is that if I select specific import folders and also select "Update for external changes" MC wants to check my complete media library. (At least it starts counting my 50739 files and because I don't want that I press cancel.)

I want it to check only if the files in the selected folders have changed. I guess this is not possible.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 12:52:53 pm »

I'm in total sync with InflatableMouse. I mostly prefer manual importing and I also liked being able to simply add multiple folders, (using the Import Folder button)which only took 2 clicks and now takes 4 clicks just to get to the import screen if you go through otto, (tools>options>library & folders>add folder>and then folder). actually thats 5 clicks.

This was one of those simple improvements from MC10 to 11 that I really liked.

This has always kind bugged me as well.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 12:54:39 pm »

Tools/Import Folders should work.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:00:13 pm »

If there are moments you would want to speak face2face this is certainly one of em  ::)

Tools/Import Folders should work.

Of course that works thats not the point. Point is that it imports one folder, the one I choose. Under Options there are more folders for auto-import that I can run as 'auto-import now', but then its all those folders. No control.

In MC11 in the import screen itself I could enable/disable the folders that were there and add new ones. Total control.

In MC12 I need to go to options first to add/remove folders I dont want and then import, or settle for 1 folder only via the import screen and run the import for every folder I want.

So the folders under options are nice, but show me these folders in the import screen so I can enable/disable them like I could with MC11. Right now its less transparent and doesn't give any control over what folders are imported without modifying auto-import settings permanently.

Thanks,
Ingemar.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:10:30 pm »

... In MC12 I need to go to options first to add/remove folders I dont want and then import, or settle for 1 folder only via the import screen and run the import for every folder I want. ...

I guess you didn't notice this:

...You can keep the folders in the list and change the behavior between include and exclude. Click a defined folder path in Auto-Import Options and select "Edit Folder"...

Are you running the latest MC12 build? The options can be accessed directly from the Tools menu in the few latest builds.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:24:03 pm »

I guess you didn't notice this:

Are you running the latest MC12 build? The options can be accessed directly from the Tools menu in the few latest builds.

Yes I noticed that but its not accessible from the import screen. It changes the general behavior of auto-import. MC11 allowed me to customize right from the import screen.

I guess what I would really like to see is the same import screen from MC11 without touching the current MC12 auto-import features. The import screen would simply allow to customize a manual import without touching other settings.

I am running the MC12 12.0.90.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 03:46:14 pm »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 05:31:14 pm »

I wish I could add more other than my vote here, but InflatableMouse explained it exactly.

Couldn't you just put back the ability to manually import more than one album at a time?
Jay.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:24:45 pm »

Though, it would be better if the "Run Auto-Import Now" function could display the selected options and allow changing them before executing. Currently you need to check the options separately.

I would like to change the quoted comment to this:

Though, it would be better if the "Run Auto-Import Now" function could have separate options from the background import. Also it could be named differently. Only Otto should be allowed to do auto-importing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 06:27:28 pm »

Only Otto should be allowed to do auto-importing.
Hear, hear!

Edit:  I had to check my spelling and found this:
The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

To which, I add "Amen".

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 06:28:31 pm »

Though, it would be better if the "Run Auto-Import Now" function could have separate options from the background import. Also it could be named differently. Only Otto should be allowed to do auto-importing.

Three imports seems excessive.  We think two is already a little cheeky.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

modelmaker

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 09:58:28 pm »

Cheeky for who? Maybe a lot  of us users like things a bit cheeky! ;D
Jay.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 08:18:25 am »

Three imports seems excessive.  We think two is already a little cheeky.

Two would be fine for me, auto and manual. Just let me set the manual options from the import screen and I'll stop whining  :-*  ;)

modelmaker

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 12:20:46 pm »

Two would be fine for me, auto and manual. Just let me set the manual options from the import screen and I'll stop whining  :-*  ;)

Ditto.
Jay.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:04 am »

I also REALLY don't like the current manual import process in 12.  11 was much better.  Going to 'auto import' to do a manual import is just counter-intuitive.  Plus adding clicks to do what used to be a simple process isn't a good thing.  The other thing missing from the manual import screen is that it does not remember your previous folders like 11 did, and the 'defaults' are not anywhere I would ever want to search.
Pages: [1]   Go Up