INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of video playback suggestions  (Read 2953 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
A couple of video playback suggestions
« on: October 14, 2006, 07:46:22 pm »

Here's a couple of MC12 video/dvd playback related things I'm still missing in an otherwise perfect improvement from MC11 :)

1. Support for video bookmarking in the way it is offered for dvd
2. A hotkey sequence for cycling through dvd audio streams. I realise this can be achieved today through the menu system (fullscreen/TVew) but I'm talking of a potential way to achieve this this via remote control with a single button.
3. Likewise, a hotkey sequence for cycling through aspect ratio settings for both video and dvd content.
4. And again, a hot key sequence to show/hide the Display View info panel. I know you can do this with movement of the mouse but again, I'm thinking of a way to achieve this via remote control.
5. Chapter seek support for advanced video container formats which offer it, eg: MKV. Edit: This seems like it might be too much to ask based on AlexB's comments.

Does anyone else think the same?

That's about it. Otherwise working very nicely. Thankyou!

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: A couple of video playback suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:07:05 am »

1.Support for video bookmarking in the way it is offered for dvd

Bookmarking for video and also for audio has been requested here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35342.0

5. Chapter seek support for advanced video container formats which offer it, eg: MKV.

This would be nice. However, MC does not currently have code for "going inside" video container formats. MC relies entirely on DirectShow. This would need a lot of new code.

I think my suggestion in the linked thread would be easier to accomplish.

Perhaps I am not the right person to comment on these.

In my opinion the best remote for the MC interface is the MC interface. I have a PC in each location where I use MC. For my HTPC I have a cordless mouse & keyboard combo and a 17" LCD screen on a coffee table besides my favorite sofa.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:24:28 pm »

Thanks for your response Alex.

As far as using a keyboard and mouse for each MC installation, especially in a HTPC environment, this is niether practical nor desired for me (and many others). MC is excellent at providing a remote-ONLY solution in conjunction with Theater View/Display View. Points 2,3 and 4 above, I believe, are a small weakness in this area.

I like the hotkey solution because this is fast and simple but if this was not an option, then perhaps a series of new MCC commands would be fine also, just like the one added fairly recently for returning to the DVD root menu.

Thanks.

Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:26:54 pm »

raym,
Keep asking.  We'd like to get it right.

Jim

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 06:43:35 pm »

As far as using a keyboard and mouse for each MC installation, especially in a HTPC environment, this is niether practical nor desired for me (and many others).

As said, I am obviously the wrong person.

This is MC's strength. It can satisfy very different tastes. I hope the hotkeys can be added.

Any comments on my bookmark suggestion?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:57:28 am »

raym,
Keep asking.  We'd like to get it right.

Jim

Hi Jim. I'm asking again... as requested  ;)

Thanks for listening.
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 09:07:02 am »

I just read this thread for the first time, and I was actually about to post a separate thread myself pleading for #4.  I fully agree with all of raym's suggestions here, though I'd rank them importance-wise in roughly reverse order.

Windows Message/MCC commands would be fine with me, and really even preferred over adding additional hotkeys.

I'd really, really, really like a command to show the Display View controls from my remote.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:23:46 pm »

Next build:

NEW: DirectX video playback automatically bookmarks videos. (tap previous button to seek to the beginning) (doesn't apply to non-DirectX playback, or internet streams)

Showing the display bars with a remote only sort of makes sense, because they aren't designed to be used with a keyboard / mouse.  Jumping into Theater View's Playing Now may be better for these cases.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:29:21 pm »

Showing the display bars with a remote only sort of makes sense, because they aren't designed to be used with a keyboard / mouse.  Jumping into Theater View's Playing Now may be better for these cases.

I want to be able to see it because of the information it provides, not to actually use it (for that I would grab the mouse).

For example, quickly pulling it up tells me:

1. What video file is currently playing (episode number and name, etc).
2. What level my volume is set to.
3. How far along I am in the currently playing video, and how much is left.

I also can use my FF and RW keys on the remote, and the volume up/down keys, to modify some of the things shown on the interface.

In this way, it is very similar to the "Info" button on TiVO, BeyondTV, or DirecTV (except for those actually usually also provide a short description of the currently playing show).  Either way, it's very useful just to LOOK at, even if you need to grab the mouse to use it much.  And, all of this I can do without stopping watching the movie/show/whatever for even a split second.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 02:32:07 pm »

I want to be able to see it because of the information it provides, not to actually use it (for that I would grab the mouse).

I also can use my FF and RW keys on the remote, and the volume up/down keys, to modify some of the things shown on the interface.

In this way, it is very similar to the "Info" button on TiVO, BeyondTV, or DirecTV (except for those actually usually also provide a short description of the currently playing show). Either way, it's very useful just to LOOK at, even if you need to grab the mouse to use it much. And, all of this I can do without stopping watching the movie/show/whatever for even a split second.

I agree, as stated here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35996.0

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 06:59:39 pm »

Next build:
NEW: DirectX video playback automatically bookmarks videos. (tap previous button to seek to the beginning)

Thanks very much for this! Can't wait to try it.

Windows Message/MCC commands would be fine with me, and really even preferred over adding additional hotkeys.

Actually, I prefer hot keys where possible (or both would be perfect). Hot keys are just more responsive in most cases. The MCC command to return to the DVD main menu for instance can be far less than "snappy".

Yeah agreed. If Playing Now (Theater View) provided this sort of info via a viz or something (for video playback) then this would be fine but it doesn't.

Thanks again.
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 07:06:21 pm »

Actually, I prefer hot keys where possible (or both would be perfect). Hot keys are just more responsive in most cases. The MCC command to return to the DVD main menu for instance can be far less than "snappy".

I agree that using the mc12.exe /MCC commands is far less snappy than the hotkeys, but using Windows Messages through Girder beats both methods by a long shot in performance.

If you're programming a remote through Girder, and you're calling MCC commands rather than using Windows Messages, you can see vastly improved performance by switching methods.  Doof and I have had numerous conversations about this on Interact.  Try searching for Girder and Doof or Girder and me and you'll find enough information to figure out how (I'd link them myself but I'm on my HTPC right now).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 07:09:26 pm »

Yeah agreed. If Playing Now (Theater View) provided this sort of info via a viz or something (for video playback) then this would be fine but it doesn't.

Nothing in Playing Now in Theater View would really work for me.  The display in Display View is perfect for what I want (well, if the text were bigger that'd be good but I'll eventually go HD and it'll be fine, or I could probably figure out how to just modify the Noire skin to make it bigger myself).

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:06 pm »

I agree that using the mc12.exe /MCC commands is far less snappy than the hotkeys, but using Windows Messages through Girder beats both methods by a long shot in performance.

I don't use Girder. Hot keys at least can be used by all. As I said, I think this command should have it's own MCC command though as well to keep it consistent with the way the dvd menu is envoked.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:22:36 pm »

The display in Display View is perfect for what I want (well, if the text were bigger that'd be good but I'll eventually go HD and it'll be fine, or I could probably figure out how to just modify the Noire skin to make it bigger myself).

Yeah, I asked about making the fonts bigger but it's sized according to the skin used. I'd love to be able to change this somehow.
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up