INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: show tag info on startup  (Read 2031 times)

alexbreugelmans

• Junior Woodchuck
show tag info on startup
« on: October 15, 2006, 05:42:40 am »

Is it possible to show the tag-info on the leftside by default on startup, instead of Display and Action Screens?

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: show tag info on startup
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:10:00 am »

Not that I'm aware of.
Jeff

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:33:21 pm »

If you don't "fully close" MC -- i.e. if you let it minimize to the systray -- it will return to the last position when you re-open it (until you reboot.)  Also, if you load the Media Server, you can open/close MC without it "fully" closing, so it will return to the most recent layout.  I realize that these are only workarounds, and that they don't help when re-booting the system, but I thought that they may help a bit.

Larry

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 04:28:03 pm »

I have the same wish. I work with tags all the time, and can't recall the last time I needed anything in the Display and Action menus that appear instead of tags.

Also, I use a few more tags than appear in the default tags window, but I can't resize it large enough, or get the resize to stick. I'm forever scrolling.

So, the wish list is for MC to remember more of the user's last UI config, including what's where and at what size/position. There's nothing more satisfying than an app that does what YOU want, not what IT wants.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 04:38:18 pm »

Try Alt-Enter to get Tags.

Doing what you want may not always work for others.  We've seen some amazing things in user testing.  People set something one way, then forget they've done it.

We're trying to make the program work for geniuses, but also allow people like me to use it.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:48:39 am »

There has been one thing that has been requested for so long and should be simple to implement, but has never been done.

That is when MC is run and the Action Window is displayed. That's great, especially for the very first time a brand new user runs MC. The user can then click the down arrow to minimize it and the up arrow to maximize it, both very common actions that the Windows user is aware of. There are even minimize and maximize buttons for MC itself in the upper right corner, in fact probably every Windows program that exists.

If the user decides to minimize it because they don't want it taking up that precious tree real estate, the next time they run MC, it should remember that it was minimized and keep it that way. It still is very clear that there is an Action Window there with an up arrow so the user should understand that they have to click that up arrow to see the Action Window again. After all, they minimized it, and most likely maximized it before to see what it did. Just simply remember the previous state when closing MC.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 08:19:56 am »

If the user decides to minimize it because they don't want it taking up that precious tree real estate, the next time they run MC, it should remember that it was minimized
A significant percentage of people will wonder what happened to the functions.  We've seen it in user testing.  Some users will click everything in sight to find what they're looking for.  Others will just sit there and look (and not see).  You would have to see it to believe it.

The only downside of the current implementation is that you have to click on minimize once each time you run MC.

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:12:39 pm »

That is really hard to believe people are that, uhh what's the word, oh anyway you understand. Seems to me that if they minimize it and see it get small, they certainly can see what they need to click to make it bigger again.

Oh well, if that's not possible and an option isn't possible to make it happen, then I guess we'll just have to wait for macros for MC to do various things like this, expanding certain trees, giving focus to areas, switching display views like track info to cover art, etc. Yeah, maybe in 13.  ;D
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up