INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last list for 94  (Read 1847 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Last list for 94
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:27:41 am »

One last time for posting my list of problems/features/questions for MC 12. This list also includes a couple other users issues that I strongly agree with. It seems like the topics get discussed and then disappear in the netherworld never to be heard from again.  :-\

I thought J River said they were going to do something for item 1 but nothing yet.

1. Let's say I have the Playlists menu open and am nested in a few child items. If I close the Playlists tree by clicking the Playlists down arrow, if I open up Playlists again, the tree has been collapsed again and I have to work my way down the tree again to find out where I was. I have Auto Expand turned off. The tree should be remembered when opening the Playlists again.

--------------

2. There is no way to find out what size cover images are to determine if you want to find better ones elsewhere. It would be nice to have the File Size and Dimensions displayed just as if the image was imported and you were looking at that by itself. Right now if you hover over the cover art you get a tooltip of the filename. In the simplest solution, add a second line of the tooltip with this information like: 300x298 - 17.5KB. Another solution is to add a header or footer in the Image window with the information of the image name and dimensions.

--------------

3. It would be nice if the Help button like in Options actually opened Help for that page. Trying to dig through the help for the page you're asking for help on is really difficult. But I'm sure that will come as in most programming, documentation is last.

--------------

4. Remember Right Click Commands on menus between closing and opening MC.

--------------

5. Adding a new User Library field still has the Category drop down. This was used in MC 11 in the tag window. Is this still needed in MC 12?

--------------

6. In the Also Show menu for the tag window, Reset all checks doesn't uncheck Playlists even though you can do it manually. No other checkmarks are selected, even the defaults.

--------------

7. Playing Now should be in a static location.

--------------

8. iPod device window should have Eject button in the top by Sync and Resync.

--------------

9. When moving out of Playing Now that has a Track info, the Display Window should display Cover art instead of the Track Info being displayed. Switching back to Playing Now would display the track info again.

--------------

10. Adding smartlist with the wizard that uses Lyrics field should have an "<empty>" selection.

--------------

11. Recent Imported playlist icon should be different than the Scheduler icon.

--------------

12. The Startup icon in the Options menu is a white flag. A white flag in racing is one more lap to go until the finish. It should be a green flag.

Jeff

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Last list for 94
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 08:04:23 am »

Nice list. Hope it doesn't disappear into the nether world  :P

You have my vote for all of these, but especially 2 & 9

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:13:48 am »

1. Let's say I have the Playlists menu open and am nested in a few child items. If I close the Playlists tree by clicking the Playlists down arrow, if I open up Playlists again, the tree has been collapsed again and I have to work my way down the tree again to find out where I was. I have Auto Expand turned off. The tree should be remembered when opening the Playlists again.

Changed for playlists area.  For view schemes (where there can be millions of entries), this will not be changed.

2. There is no way to find out what size cover images are to determine if you want to find better ones elsewhere. It would be nice to have the File Size and Dimensions displayed just as if the image was imported and you were looking at that by itself. Right now if you hover over the cover art you get a tooltip of the filename. In the simplest solution, add a second line of the tooltip with this information like: 300x298 - 17.5KB. Another solution is to add a header or footer in the Image window with the information of the image name and dimensions.

Next build:
NEW: The tooltip in the "Image" tag window (click small image in tag window to zoom in) shows the image dimensions and size.

3. It would be nice if the Help button like in Options actually opened Help for that page. Trying to dig through the help for the page you're asking for help on is really difficult. But I'm sure that will come as in most programming, documentation is last.

v13

We believe a clean slate is better when starting.  Feel free to keep MC running.

5. Adding a new User Library field still has the Category drop down. This was used in MC 11 in the tag window. Is this still needed in MC 12?

Still under consideration.

6. In the Also Show menu for the tag window, Reset all checks doesn't uncheck Playlists even though you can do it manually. No other checkmarks are selected, even the defaults.

Reset falls back to defaults. (varies by media type -- only playlists for audio)

7. Playing Now should be in a static location.

Use a toolbar button.

Next build.

9. When moving out of Playing Now that has a Track info, the Display Window should display Cover art instead of the Track Info being displayed. Switching back to Playing Now would display the track info again.

We want to preserve a feeling of continuity between the small and large display.

10. Adding smartlist with the wizard that uses Lyrics field should have an "<empty>" selection.

It does for me.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 11:35:06 am »

We believe a clean slate is better when starting.  Feel free to keep MC running.

Bummer.  I had so much hope.  Maybe a sneaky external script could do it.... hmmm.

I can understand your "belief", it just would be super-cool (and useful for me personally) to ignore it this time.   ;)

As far as keeping MC running all the time.  If only you didn't release new versions so often with so much good new stuff that I just need.  Oh, wait...  I'm not going to complain about that!!

Still under consideration.

Ooh... We might get our categories back??   :D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:09:18 pm »

Next build.

Great!! I asked for this before, but it never happened.... This is something that a few people were asking for...

Thanks,.
-

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:35:43 pm »

Matt,
Thanks so much for responding. At least it tells us what's going to be changed, what's not going to be changed, and what's under consideration. It certainly makes it easier for us and most likely for you too so we don't keep pestering you guys on the same things.

Changed for playlists area.  For view schemes (where there can be millions of entries), this will not be changed.

I assume this is next build as I don't see it in 94.

Next build:
NEW: The tooltip in the "Image" tag window (click small image in tag window to zoom in) shows the image dimensions and size.

Next build.

Fantastic!

What glynor said.  :)

It does for me.

Sorry, I finally discovered <empty> way down in the list of my lyrics checkboxes. That is because there were lyrics that started with the characters ' - space(?) " & ( * : [ and finally came <empty>. It would be nice if you could put <empty> at the top of the list.
Jeff

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 07:44:59 pm »

Adding a new User Library field still has the Category drop down. This was used in MC 11 in the tag window. Is this still needed in MC 12?

I like the categories idea for tags. It would be really nice if we could make our own field categories, and have it so fields could belong to more than one category.

The tag AW could have the following options:
 - show all tags
 - show tags in current view
 - show tags with values
 - show tag categories

The last one could work similar to how MC11 handled tagging, with dropdowns for each category created.

So I could create a field category called "Classical" and when I want to tag classical music, all I have to do is click on the "Classical" category and all the relevant fields would display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up