INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transcoding Crashing MC  (Read 1681 times)

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Transcoding Crashing MC
« on: October 17, 2006, 08:30:21 pm »

I am currently evaluating MC. I have a number RealAudio 10 files I want to transcode to Nero's AAC using their free encoder. (I read a couple of previous threads and am familiar how to setup the external encoder.) MC gets about 50% done, crashes, and closes down. This happens in 11.x and 12.x beta.

When I try to transcode some m4a files to Nero's AAC, MC says
"Failed to play XYZ.m4a. You may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play." I have PowerDVD 7 Deluxe, Nero Ultra, RealPlayer 10.5 Premium, and few other tools. I don't think all of them are registered decoders, but I know some are, like PowerDVD 7. What does MC need?

I attemped a work around my transcoding to WAV and then back to Nero AAC. Existing m4a's continue to fail before anything gets under way. The RealAudio files go to the end of conversion process (progress bar reaches the end) and then MC crashes.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the files are on a network server. The PC is Athlon X2 w/2 gig memory. XP Pro w/ all patches.

Any ideas on how to achieve what I seek?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transcoding Crashing MC
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 08:36:41 pm »

Try converting a few to WAV first.  I'm not sure how well Nero's AAC encoder will work.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 08:41:12 pm »

Try converting a few to WAV first.  I'm not sure how well Nero's AAC encoder will work.

Right. I tried that too. No workie.  :(

I attemped a work around my transcoding to WAV and then back to Nero AAC. Existing m4a's continue to fail before anything gets under way. The RealAudio files go to the end of conversion process (progress bar reaches the end) and then MC crashes.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:40:40 pm »

Anyone successfully use Media Center with Nero's CLI encoder?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 04:02:09 pm »

I use this configuration: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34823.msg237555#msg237555

I have had no problems. I just converted a bunch of APE files to Nero AAC with MC12. This time I used the quality setting 0.4.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 04:15:18 pm »

When I try to transcode some m4a files to Nero's AAC, MC says
"Failed to play XYZ.m4a. You may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play." I have PowerDVD 7 Deluxe, Nero Ultra, RealPlayer 10.5 Premium, and few other tools. I don't think all of them are registered decoders, but I know some are, like PowerDVD 7. What does MC need?

DirectShow filters for MP4 media splitting and AAC decoding. I use Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow.

This DirectShow option makes possible to use MC's internal audio engine (replay gain, internal volume, DSP effects etc.) and convert files.

Also, Apple QuickTime can be used for decoding and playback with MC, but then the decoded audio stream is not directed back to MC's audio engine. Conversions or any adjustments inside MC are not possible.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 07:02:32 pm »

I installed ffdshow and can now transform m4a files if I desire. Attempting to transform RealAudio files no longer crashes the system, which is interesting. However, the transformation still locks up at 50% when transforming to non-Wave format and 99.9% when converting to uncompressed wave. I won't lose sleep over this because if all fails, I can use RealPlayer to do it. I would prefer to pass through Nero's tool.

So, I'm making progress. Most things are working now. I'm excited about this program and might be buying it if the rest of the trial goes well. Thank you Alex B!
Pages: [1]   Go Up