INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marko's list  (Read 2676 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Marko's list
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:06:33 pm »

[ List replaced below by JimH ]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Marko's list
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:39 pm »

Any changes to this list, Marko?

We're trying to clean up and finish.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:09:49 am »

--------
'Tag' Action Window
(Panes view, Tagging mode: On) Select an image, open the [people] tag in the AW and tick a person. Keep the file selection and leave the AW as it is, and now tick a different tag in a pane. Notice the previously tagged people in the AW gets cleared.
--------
After working inside the tag window, then moving the mouse over the file list, the scroll wheel will not work untill the list is clicked on, or scrolled manually via the scroll bar.
select a file, open the people tag in the AW. Set a tag and close [people], returning the AW to the main tag window. now move the mouse over the file list and use the scroll wheel. Nothing happens.
--------
'playlists' takes a long time to open, MC hangs until the playlists tree displays.
This gets worse as more files ae listed. For a single album, it's instaneous, for 15,000 tracks MC hangs for around 16 seconds, and if you keep the playlists window open, and change view schemes, it will hang for another 16 seconds before the view loads.
--------
Camera (aquire)
.avi files are not being aquired from the camera. (Discuss?)
MC is not able to determine how many files it's aquiring, merely stating "image 1 of ??". Elements and, IIRC, windows, are both able to present this information.
--------
scanner (aquire)
This tool appears targeted fair and square on aquiring images for audio files. I would like to use it to initiate import of scanned photos directly.
Consider things like location, and incremental naming rules. As it is, it's not feasable to use MC+scanner for this task.
--------
expression based fields
Is this expected behaviour?
It has become markedly slower since build 47.
Clicking to tag six people is taking around 14 seconds from last click, to tick. The VS I'm testing this in has 12 panes, the expression based pane being the first.
With build 90, this is down to 10 seconds. Let me know when the time is "as good as it gets" for a viewscheme such as this.
--------
thumbnails
Place the cursor on the bottom toolbar. If there is thumbnail text just out of view, ie, behind the toolbar, the thumbnail fades out to reveal its play tag stuff.
--------
tooltips - extended desktop
This one's annoying as it makes tooltips useless near the right edge of the screen.
The TV is the secondary display device, and in the display setup, it's configured to the right of the monitor. MC's tooltips do not detect the right edge of the monitors' display area and instead, display out of view in the extended desktop area.

The context menus know where the edge is, and display to the left if there's not enough room to the right. Hopefully tooltips can be given the same 'awareness'.

both images taken from the extreme right edge of the screen.
--------
Display View:
When using two split views, launch display view (by double clicking an image?). When returning to standard view, focus has switched to the other view in the split.
--------
After loading a viewscheme, the panes will often re-adjust themselves width-ways, usually after a track change, or after a click or two when in tagging mode. I've lost count of the times I've lined up a click to tag, only to have the pane move away from under the mouse.
--------
The default parameter for "send to > external" is [FILENAME]. Since the change to allow library fields/expressions in there, this is broken if the [FILENAME] contains spaces and should be changed to default to "[FILENAME]" instead.
--------
the following expression is no longer working in the 'image playback settings' caption field:

if(isempty([caption]),if(isempty([events]),if(isempty([places]),[subject],[places]),[events]),[caption])

It always returns "Unknown caption". This suggests that I should alter the expression to use if(isequal([caption],unknown caption), etc. etc., but the same expression works fine in the thumbnail text area, leading me to believe it got broke somehow. If it's by design, what changed to stop it working, and are there any base rules other than trial and error that give us a clue when to use isempty or isequal?
--------
Wishes
  • hopefully, these tag window tweaks are still on the list.
  • An "Apply" button for the 'Edit/Add View Scheme' dialogue. (Discuss?)
  • Expressions in the 'base path' field of the rename from props tool. (Discuss?)
  • .tif file tag reading at a minimum, writing would be nice too if possible (Discuss?)
  • the ability to set a library field to be used as a caption for images and/or thumbnails when using the 'send to > web/ftp > create html' tool
  • I would like to be able to use a date expression in the aquire images general "path" option, and for the scanner, I'd like to be able to setup some incremental file naming rule
  • when playing both audio and images, the dislay's context menu has "send to... (currently playing track)" would love to see "send to... (currently displayed image)" on there too.
  • Could we get a "loop slideshow" option in the image playback settings? If that's possible, could we also have access to the setting when right-click on a slideshow display? This would help greatly with image playcounts being messed up when absent-mindedly left playing in the display window.
  • Navigational favourites could use a little spit and polish. (Discuss?)
--------

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:16:05 am »

couple of additions posted in build 95's thread. Our eldest daughter is having a tough time atm, time is precious and she gets most of it right now. When alzheimer's sets in here, perhaps she'll remember and not put me out to pasture.... ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:41:39 pm »

expression based fields
Is this expected behaviour?
It has become markedly slower since build 47.
Clicking to tag six people is taking around 14 seconds from last click, to tick. The VS I'm testing this in has 12 panes, the expression based pane being the first.
With build 90, this is down to 10 seconds. Let me know when the time is "as good as it gets" for a viewscheme such as this.

Next build:
Changed: When using "Tagging Mode" in the panes, other panes are no longer updated when checking or unchecking a box. (updating is too slow for complex views -- click refresh button at top of view to refresh all panes)

Hopefully this does the trick without tripping anyone else up.

And good luck with the daughter.  I saw a bumper sticker I liked once: "Be nice to your children, they pick your nursing home"

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 02:28:52 pm »

thumbnails
Place the cursor on the bottom toolbar. If there is thumbnail text just out of view, ie, behind the toolbar, the thumbnail fades out to reveal its play tag stuff.
--------
tooltips - extended desktop
This one's annoying as it makes tooltips useless near the right edge of the screen.
The TV is the secondary display device, and in the display setup, it's configured to the right of the monitor. MC's tooltips do not detect the right edge of the monitors' display area and instead, display out of view in the extended desktop area.

The context menus know where the edge is, and display to the left if there's not enough room to the right. Hopefully tooltips can be given the same 'awareness'.

both images taken from the extreme right edge of the screen.

Both should be improved next build.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 02:35:26 pm »

'playlists' takes a long time to open, MC hangs until the playlists tree displays.
This gets worse as more files ae listed. For a single album, it's instaneous, for 15,000 tracks MC hangs for around 16 seconds, and if you keep the playlists window open, and change view schemes, it will hang for another 16 seconds before the view loads.

Is it slow to click the expand arrow in the tree, or slow when you click on a playlist?

Are you sorting based on an expression?

I just made a test playlist of 500,000 songs.  Switching to it takes less than half a second.  It makes me think something more is happening for you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:36:35 pm »

The default parameter for "send to > external" is [FILENAME]. Since the change to allow library fields/expressions in there, this is broken if the [FILENAME] contains spaces and should be changed to default to "[FILENAME]" instead.

The default does contain quotes now. (going back several builds)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:26:01 pm »

Is it slow to click the expand arrow in the tree, or slow when you click on a playlist?

Are you sorting based on an expression?

I just made a test playlist of 500,000 songs.  Switching to it takes less than half a second.  It makes me think something more is happening for you.
oops!
by 'playlists', I mean the playlists tree in the tag action window, apologies for any wasted time.

The default does contain quotes now. (going back several builds)
So it does! :o Sentence case now too! Don't know what I was looking at this morning  ::)

Thanks for the rest, and for the good wishes too.
-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:33 pm »

After working inside the tag window, then moving the mouse over the file list, the scroll wheel will not work untill the list is clicked on, or scrolled manually via the scroll bar.
select a file, open the people tag in the AW. Set a tag and close [people], returning the AW to the main tag window. now move the mouse over the file list and use the scroll wheel. Nothing happens.
--------
the following expression is no longer working in the 'image playback settings' caption field:

if(isempty([caption]),if(isempty([events]),if(isempty([places]),[subject],[places]),[events]),[caption])

It always returns "Unknown caption". This suggests that I should alter the expression to use if(isequal([caption],unknown caption), etc. etc., but the same expression works fine in the thumbnail text area, leading me to believe it got broke somehow. If it's by design, what changed to stop it working, and are there any base rules other than trial and error that give us a clue when to use isempty or isequal?
--------

Both changed next build.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 11:57:20 am »

Build 96 was something a bit special!! Very fast indeed. My list has now been decimated....

--------
'Tag' Action Window
(Panes view, Tagging mode: On) Select an image, open the [people] tag in the AW and tick a person. Keep the file selection and leave the AW as it is, and now tick a different tag in a pane. Notice the previously tagged people in the AW gets cleared.
I'll drop this. It's no big deal as I know how it works, though I did ponder over whether that close [ x ] button should have a 'save and close' tooltip or perhaps be a 'save and close' button, but couldn't make my mind up...
--------
scanner (aquire)
This tool appears targeted fair and square on aquiring images for audio files. I would like to use it to initiate import of scanned photos directly.
Consider things like location, and incremental naming rules. As it is, it's not feasable to use MC+scanner for this task.
I guess this one's more of a feature request than a bug. It just seemed logical that MC should be able to handle a project such as this a lot more smoothly than it currently does. It can wait 'till the next time around...

Which just leaves these two:
--------
Camera (aquire)
.avi files are not being aquired from the camera. (Discuss?)
MC is not able to determine how many files it's aquiring, merely stating "image 1 of ??". Elements and, IIRC, windows, are both able to present this information.
--------
Display View:
When using two split views, launch display view (by double clicking an image?). When returning to standard view, focus has switched to the other view in the split.
--------
I can pull the video files off the camera using directory opus, and then let Otto take care of them, and despite MC not knowing how many files are coming, it does get them all, so I can live with this if I have to. Would be nice if I could do it all from a single press on that aquire button though.

The split views switching focus thing is quite unnnerving though. It would be neat if that could be caught. Generally, I get ack to standard view either by bouble clicking, and sometimes, via the 'close display' button. Either way, the view that is, erm, on view, has always lost focus on return from full screen display.

Thanks for the others. Things are a whole lot snappier now, and tooltips that stay on the monitor.... finally, brilliant,

regards,
-marko.
--------
Wishes
  • hopefully, these tag window tweaks are still on the list.
  • An "Apply" button for the 'Edit/Add View Scheme' dialogue. (Discuss?)
  • Expressions in the 'base path' field of the rename from props tool. (Discuss?)
  • .tif file tag reading at a minimum, writing would be nice too if possible (Discuss?)
  • the ability to set a library field to be used as a caption for images and/or thumbnails when using the 'send to > web/ftp > create html' tool
  • I would like to be able to use a date expression in the aquire images general "path" option, and for the scanner, I'd like to be able to setup some incremental file naming rule
  • when playing both audio and images, the dislay's context menu has "send to... (currently playing track)" would love to see "send to... (currently displayed image)" on there too.
  • Could we get a "loop slideshow" option in the image playback settings? If that's possible, could we also have access to the setting when right-click on a slideshow display? This would help greatly with image playcounts being messed up when absent-mindedly left playing in the display window.
  • Navigational favourites could use a little spit and polish. (Discuss?)
--------
Pages: [1]   Go Up