INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 choking when playing m4p  (Read 1715 times)

Tanguero

• World Citizen
MC12 choking when playing m4p
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:24:34 pm »

I have problems when I play m4p files through MC12 (and MC11).  If I re-arrange Playing now or add files to Playing now while playing a m4p file, there is sometimes a short silence (<1 second). If i move a column separator in any of the panes while playing a m4p file, MC goes silent until I release the mouse button, and MC is using around 95% of the processor capacity. This locking does not affect the time keeper of the play engine (which I assume is QuickTime), so if I hold the button for 10 seconds, I am 10 seconds further into the music when the sound comes back.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 choking when playing m4p
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:57:12 pm »

Are you using the latest MC12?

Is playback perfect in iTunes?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:32:03 pm »

This appears to be a Quicktime problem. I do not know if there is anything we can do. It affects not only m4p but any type that is played in Quicktime engine. The QT engine mutes audio whenever the application that uses it takes focus away from it (I think).

Try playing a tune in QT player itself. There are two windows, the main QT window and the player window. Switching to the main QT window silences the audio.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 02:54:11 pm »

Tanks for looking into this. I am using the latest version (12.0.98),  and in iTunes there is no problem.

I experimented a bit with QuickTime, and verifyed the behaviour described by Yaobing: "Switching to the main QT window silences the audio. "   But when I unchecked the option "play only the active movie's sound" and left "play sound in the background" checked in QT's Player settings, that helped the internal QT behaviour so now the QT player keeps playing even if I swicth to the main window.

Unfortunately, it did nothing to help the MC problem.

BTW: I found out another detail on when MC hangs: If I move or copy tracks quickly with the pointer it may work, but if it takes more tha 3 or 4 seconds the music stops.

Note: The names of the checkboxes are my translations from the Swedish version, so the real names may differ

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:17:02 pm »

What's the status on this one? Is it on the list?  The fact that QT works just fine with iTunes suggests that the problem could be solved, doesn't it?

It would help me a great deal if the issue was solved. As it is now I have to use MC and iTunes in parallel when DJ:ing, which is quite annoying.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:46:04 pm »

I'm also having problem with playing mp4 files in MC (I've been reporting these issues in the main build thread.)

I am using the latest versions of MC, and playback of the SAME files is fine if I play them in QT.

The problems are especially bad when playing over Media Server, but the issues are NOT just a network issue since I can play the same files over the same network in QT without problems.  Normally, mp4 files won't play at all over Media Server.  I have discovered, however, that when I shorten the filename and path, they WILL open and start playing, but not very well.  There is a lot of starting/stopping/skipping, etc.  When I use my standard name and path, however, they don't play at ALL over Media Server.  I have NO problems playing them with Quicktime, both locally and over the network (using the longer version of the path/filename.)

Thanks,

Larry

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:02:05 pm »

A 'me too' post--but for me it's not just limited to protected iTunes files (m4p).

I'm having pausing, hanging, stuttering issues when playing back video as well. The specific video files are XViD-encoded. I'm using ffdshow as my DirectShow filter.

All of my files are coming from a fileserver on a gigabit ethernet network.

I also occasionally get hiccups when playing back more 'normal' audio files--ac3, ape, apl, m4a, but they are much more infrequent.

Best,
Brad

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 10:35:59 pm »

A 'me too' post--but for me it's not just limited to protected iTunes files (m4p).

I'm not sure what you mean by "protected iTunes files."  You can have mp4 files that were not created or downloaded with iTunes.

Larry

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:22:06 pm »

True, you are right. I was responding primarily to the first post in the thread where 'm4p' files were referred to. They are the DRM-protected files you download from the iTunes music store. AFAIK, they must be played back via the QuickTime engine (using either iTunes or MC as the user interface).

I do have some mp4 video files as well. They also exhibit the problems being discussed in this thread.

I always find it a little confusing to deliniate between container formats and actual codecs...then throwing DRM into the mix....sigh. Sometime I wish for those LPs...only 4 choices then (16, 33, 45, 78) ;)

Best,
Brad

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:16:08 am »

I'm having pausing, hanging, stuttering issues when playing back video as well. The specific video files are XViD-encoded. I'm using ffdshow as my DirectShow filter.

A couple of suggestions:

1. FFDShow video decoder allows you to choose which decoder library to use for a particular format. You can try "libavcodec" or "XviD".

2. In MC, Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DirectShow Playback Settings ...

Uncheck "Use Video Mixing Renderer" at the lower left corner.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up