INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WinTV for British users  (Read 1441 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
WinTV for British users
« on: September 08, 2002, 07:42:58 am »

Hi,

Has anyone got MJ's TV interface to work?

When it asks for the country the UK is not listed.

After searching thru google it seems that PAL I is only supported by these countries:

Hongkong, Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, South Africa, UK

None of which are in the list of dropdowns so I can't even use a compatible entry.

So any ideas?

Yaobing

RE:WinTV for British users
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 01:17:59 pm »

This puzzles me. What driver do you use?

The TV control in MJ asks the driver what formats it supports, and then displays country names whose format match supported ones. If PAL_I is supported, I have the following countries or regions:

Angola, Namibia, Lesotho, South Africa, Ireland, United Kingdom, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Hong Kong SAR, China, Macau SAR, China.

Maybe it is a driver problem?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 10:30:14 pm »

I am using the drivers from here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/xp/software/xp_wintvpci.htm

I can't remember seeing such a prompt ... I got:

1)  Select a video device from the list
2)  Select a country and TV Tuner Input Type

I tried entering PAL_I but it got rejected saying "Please choose a country from the list" ... and the list doesn't contain UK.

If it was a dirver issue then why would WinTV2000 and the excellent DScaler program (http://www.dscaler.org/) work just fine?

I am currently using v9 but I will uninstall and try v8 but I'm pretty sure it was the same there as well.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2002, 03:30:39 am »

All of Europe is PAL...

I find the BTwincap open source brooktree drivers to be about the best out there though you can get dScaler of my PC when you can wrench the controls from my cold dead fingers !!!
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 03:39:07 am »

There are different sub versions of PAL, for example:

UK uses PAL-I
Germany uses PAL-B/G

Yaobing

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 06:51:28 am »

I can't remember seeing such a prompt ... I got:

1) Select a video device from the list
2) Select a country and TV Tuner Input Type

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. The above two are the prompts that you should get as a user. After you have chosen the correct device from the devices list, the program would query the DEVICE what format it supports, and the device should return a value that includes PAL_I. If you do not see any countries or regions that I listed in my other post, the driver has not returned a value that includes PAL_I. That is why I said it could be a driver problem, but I could be wrong.

Yaobing

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 06:58:11 am »

And you might want to try BTwincap driver as suggested by PhatPreddy. The link is here.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2002, 07:06:10 am »

I'll try the BTwincap driver when I get home but to recap:

1)  I am using the hauppage recommended WinTV drivers for Windows XP
2)  Hauppage's WinTV & WinTV2000 programs both report PAL I as a supported type and pick up my channels correctly.
3)  DScaler reports PAL I as a supported type and it also picks up my channels correctly.
4)  MJ does not report PAL I as a supported standard and as such I cannot pick up my channels.

To me that points to a MJ issue but we'll soon see.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 08:10:21 am »

As I suspected the issue still remains.

Installing the BTwincap drivers produces exactly the same results, i.e. MJ does not show UK as a country.

Looks like there's a problem.

Yaobing

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 08:27:36 am »

Thanks for reporting it. I will have to look harder into it. It is strange. My WinTV card is for NTSC format so the returned value from querying the driver would not include PAL_I. But if I add the PAL_I value (0x100) to it in debugging session, "United Kindom" would appear.

Just in case, did you choose "Connexant's BtPCI Capture" from the Devices list when you tried BtWinCap driver?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2002, 09:02:12 am »

Yes I did choose it and as part of the BTwincap installation it removed all references to the old drivers.

I presume MJTVControl.dll is where you guys have encapsulated all of the checking as I can see "United Kingdom" as a string in there if I scan thru it with a hex editor.

If so then why not email me a patched version that does a MessageBox after calling the driver to gets it's capabilities so we can see what exactly is being returned?

If you want to do this then contact me at:

jamie@jda-ltd.com

I would like to get this sorted as I want to use MJ for all my multimedia experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up