INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback bugs  (Read 964 times)

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
DVD playback bugs
« on: November 12, 2006, 12:04:03 pm »

I still can't quite bring myself to use MC for playing DVDs - there are too many things in it that just don't seem right.

I don't know if it's my setup or what, but here's a list of some of the things that are going wrong for me:

- I get an extra item in the task bar when playing back DVDs. It's called "Media Center DVD Player". When I switch to it, I get a small back box, which is presumably meant to be something to do with video overlay, but I presume it's not meant to be visible at all. I don't *always* get this, but I get it pretty regularly. I haven't been able to spot a pattern.

- I can't use 'enter' to select options on the DVD menus. When I do, it takes me out of display view and back to standard view (or theater view - whichever one I was in previously). Actually, at the moment, I don't even seem to be able to use mouseclicks to click on options on the DVD menus :-(

The playback engine behind it all is, I think (at least the DVD decoders are saying that it is), WinDVD, if that makes a difference. WinDVD says it's version 5.0 DXVA B11.768. It came on the PC.

There are a number of other things that I would like to see improved, but they're not 'bugs' like the above. They're things like easily switching between stretching a 4:3 video to widescreen and so on.

Is no-one else getting the problems I'm having? I find it hard to believe it's really my setup.

At the time of writing, this is all with v12.0.111.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DVD playback bugs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 01:59:50 pm »

I can't reproduce either of these.

Do you have any other DVD filters installed you could tell MC to use in DVD options?  The filters let us know when we're at a menu (so Enter shouldn't be trapped) and also handle mouse clicks so it's possible it's a filter problem.

For what it's worth, Media Center has been my only DVD player for years at home. (through a projector)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 02:17:34 pm »

You might want to read this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35781.0

I did find multiple problems with WinDVD 6 as the playback engine.  Switching to other playback engines solved the problems (at least most of them).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 05:06:23 pm »

Hm, OK, that other thread is certainly interesting.

Actually, I have turned off VMR9 - the picture is unbelievably flickery with it enabled on some DVDs (to the point where they're really not watchable).

My problems are definitely not the same as any described on that other thread though - the menu highlights always appear, I just can't click on them quite often - but then I guess the combination of software is a bit different.

I did have a version of PowerDVD installed at one point, and I also tried the NVidia software, but there's no trace left of either now.

I've just crashed the PC horribly trying to access the settings, so I might post more later when I've actually recovered it all :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up