INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Loading Changes (build 119)  (Read 1266 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Image Loading Changes (build 119)
« on: November 22, 2006, 04:27:55 pm »

This build loads the next and previous image ahead of time in the background during image playback.  This makes image switching almost instant assuming you spent a little time looking at the current image.  (if you hammer through images as fast as possible, this method won't be any faster since the old build could already use 100% of the muscle the CPU had)

The cost is that it takes more memory during image playback.  A decoded 10 MP image takes over 40 MB of memory. (which is about double what MC itself takes when playing music and browsing the library!)

Anyway, play with image playback this build and let us know what you think.  Thanks for any feedback.

(NOTE: As an aside, this change combined with holding "Shift" while switching images (to preserve zoom and scroll) makes MC a great pixel-peeping tool if you're trying to pick the sharpest image from a burst, etc.)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Image Loading Changes (build 119)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 04:56:25 pm »

Matt,

The speed is great.  It looks like a good feature.  Worth (IMO) the incremental memory.

BTW - maybe I just noticed it and it's always been this way, but if I use the space bar to manually advance the image playback, I have to hit it twice.  The first time I hit it nothing happens.  If I use page up & page down everything is fine.

Randy

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 05:00:09 pm »

BTW - maybe I just noticed it and it's always been this way, but if I use the space bar to manually advance the image playback, I have to hit it twice.  The first time I hit it nothing happens.  If I use page up & page down everything is fine.

Spacebar is like pause.  It start / stops the slideshow.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:07:24 pm »

Spacebar is like pause.  It start / stops the slideshow.

Thanks... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up