INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G-Force 3.5.7 & MC 12.0.xxx  (Read 1348 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
G-Force 3.5.7 & MC 12.0.xxx
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:08:07 am »

G-Force has been crashing Media Center for quite sometime and I found that if I change the G-Force General Prefs file to Net=0 then it disables the network connection to the toolbar and a lot my crashes go away. While looking for solutions to these crashes in the SoundSpectrum forum, I saw that taking the communication between G-Force & the Toolbar was on the to-do list. I hope this can be done soon. I miss the toolbar  :cry: I tried the nOGL=0 tweak but it did not help.  I'm running Nvida 6600. I've swaped out the whole system recently and still getting the crashes so it's something in a G-Force / Toolbar relationship or G-Force/media Center relationship. I'm guessing it's the first. Anyone find any solutions or better ideas?
Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: G-Force 3.5.7 & MC 12.0.xxx
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:24:01 am »

I haven't been having any similar problems, though I do not make heavy use of the toolbar.  When you swapped out the system, did you do a complete nuke and pave (start with a fresh Windows install)?

I have seen crashing issues with G-Force and MC though, where I was able to solve it by:

1. Uninstall G-Force
2. Delete all G-Force user folders:
Code: [Select]
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\G-Force
C:\Program Files\SoundSpectrum\G-Force
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\Visualizations\G-Force_JMC.dll
3. Remove references to G-Force from the regustry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 11\Plugins\Display\G-Force
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 12\Plugins\Display\G-Force
4. Reboot. (Maybe un/reinstall MC just for good measure and reboot too)
5. Reinstall G-Force.

Updating (or in some cases downgrading) your video card drivers (or network drivers maybe in your case) also can sometimes help.

But perhaps you just have a bug.  If it's reproducible, you should send an email to: support@soundspectrum.com.  They don't always monitor the forums extremely closely there, so it's good to send the email if you're pretty sure it isn't something on your system.  Make sure to try updating any relevant drivers (and again, maybe downgrading to the second or third most recent driver too), and trying the above listed un/reinstall routine.

Make sure to use this template for the submission though:

Code: [Select]
Please "copy and paste" the below into your bug report:

Subject:
Bug Report - brief description of problem

Your System Information
Version of your OS: ________
Version of G-Force ________
Version of your media player: ________
Graphics hardware info: ______
CPU info: _______
Other info: ________

Detailed Description of Bug
________
________
________

Description of How to Replicate Bug
________
________
________
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:25:38 am »

Just out of interest, is the bug/crash always the same?

My MC has just recently started crashing, but ONLY when I stop music playback, and I always have G-Force running for that - I haven't don't much analysis or testing of it yet, but was starting to suspect it was G-Force. It doesn't do it EVERY time I stop playback though - it seems much more likely to do it if I'm been playing music for a while...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 06:46:23 am »

Try updating G-force.  Sometimes they fix a minor bug but don't change the version.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:45:03 am »

That's always a good suggestion with G-Force (he's admitted that he shouldn't do that as much -- not tick the version number for new builds).... However, in this particular case, the build of 3.5.7 hasn't changed since release.  I checked the MD5 hash...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:12:05 pm »

I also get a lot of crashes.  Andy has done some debugging with me and made some tweaks to his code, but I am still crashing with the latest of MC and GF.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:08:28 am »

Thanks guys, I'll give glynor's tweaks a try tomarrow and let ya know how it goes.  ;)
Thanks!

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 10:54:38 pm »

Well tried Glynor's tweak suggestion with no luck :( I ended up running Windows Media Player 11 w/ G-Force for my Christmas party this weekend (yuck). Luckily it ran for almost 12 hours straight with no hiccups with Windows Media Player. I ran it full screen so nobody had to know it was WMP and not my highly recommended JRiver Media Center. Everyone loved G-Force with some Christmas color maps. I'm going to post a detailed system report with JRiver's & G-Force's log files soon to both forums. Thanks for the help.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up