INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error: Key Exchange for DVD copy protection Failed. Can't playback this DVD.  (Read 6892 times)

snapperocks

• World Citizen

Hi  :)
I just upgraded to Version 12 0.125 and it is a giant leap forward so I can't understand why I can't play a DVD I just got from my local DVD hire shop. this message sounds pretty final.
Although media center 11 played DVD's with no worries now that MC 12 is installed MC 11 is displaying the same message and won't play DVD's either. I've tried 4 different DVD's so its not the disc at fault. Help Please.
snapperocks.  :(

Media Center Registered 12.0.125 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2812 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 267 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: ASUS     DRW-1608P3S        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:17  MaxSpeed:17  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:
nlc

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Check the setup for DVD playback.  You can choose another decoder.  Not all will allow another program access.

snapperocks

• World Citizen

Jim
 None of the decoders MC 12 has available have enabled me to view DVD's. I am able to use ASUS player that came with my ASUS DVD Player, also VLC Media Player shows DVD's as well. I have Community Combined Codecs installed. However the Zoom player that came with it, used to work fine before I installed MC 12 and Windows Media player no longer work on DVD's. I suspect My problem is MC 12 is not locating the Mpeg 2 codec, while ASUS and VLC are.
nlc

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

Jim
 None of the decoders MC 12 has available have enabled me to view DVD's. I am able to use ASUS player that came with my ASUS DVD Player, also VLC Media Player shows DVD's as well. I have Community Combined Codecs installed. However the Zoom player that came with it, used to work fine before I installed MC 12 and Windows Media player no longer work on DVD's. I suspect My problem is MC 12 is not locating the Mpeg 2 codec, while ASUS and VLC are.

Installation of MC would not break DVD playback, because we do not install codec. It must be an coincident that Zoom Player stopped working after MC installation. It most probably has to do with codec pack installation or Windows Media Player installation. What version of Windows Media Player did you install?

What video and audio decoders are listed in MC's DVD options window? If you do not select any decoder, i.e. choosing "Automatic Selection", MC would rely on DirectShow to automatically select decoders. Do you know what decoders are used in those players that do work?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team

If you have CCCP installed, it should be simple to fix any filter problems.  Try this:

1. open Start --> Programs --> CCCP --> Settings (red icon)
2. make sure everything on the front page is checked (every single box) and set your FFDSHOW Audio Settings to the proper number of speakers.  Click Next.
3. Under Haali Media Splitter, check everything except AVI support.
4. Under Special Settings, check Re-Register Filters
5. Click Apply.

That should reset it for you.  You may also want to ensure you are using the most recent stable build of CCCP.  I'm also wondering if there could be a problem with region coding?  Could your drive somehow have gotten set to the wrong region code?

BTW... VLC doesn't use external codecs as it is not a DirectShow player (which is why they have versions for every OS under the sun).  It uses internal codecs almost exclusively, and certainly for MPEG-2 playback.  It's also fairly likely that the ASUS DVD Player app is the one causing the issue, as it's filters might be elevated to "high priority", but the may also be restricted so they only work with the ASUS player.  If resetting CCCP doesn't work, try uninstalling the ASUS player and then resetting CCCP again.  That could potentially solve it (and if so there should be a way to manually de-prioritize the ASUS codecs if you want to reinstall it again!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matthew

• World Citizen

snapperocks,

I'm glad you fixed your virus problem.  :)

snapperocks

• World Citizen

Hi Glynor
I followed your instructions and uninstalled the ASUS player. The result started out promising, previously it said in the MC playing Now window there were 0 files, that became 1 and even started playing but only Audio no Visual except curiously the opening Menu in the Action Window. I have tried the different decoders in MC It reverts back to Automatic. One thing I haven't looked at cos i don't know how to access it is the Region code so maybe you could help me check that out. MC 12 plays mpeg, wmvand avi files I can watch a movie off my hard drive on AVI no worries its finding out whats preventing me watching Standard DVD's is a mission. When I reset CCP I noticedThat VS Filter Subpicture Pre- Buffering was not checked. Should it be?

Another unrelated query is I am a great fan of King Sparta's Lyric Finder can you tell me if he has upgraded it for MC 12?
Thanks for yours  and other MC Interacters kind assistance.  :)  :)
nlc

snapperocks

• World Citizen

BUMP
This problem still exists and persists
Would appreciate more ides and a solution Please.  :(
nlc

jgreen

Snapper--

I got that exact error message some 3 months ago.  I followed it to the MSFT database and it points to a failure to find a DVD decoder.  In my case, I had deleted it.  Downloading a new one solved that.

WheelToTheStorm

• Recent member

I also have the same problem. I can play DVD's on other software, but MC 12 gives the error message.

The post above from "glynor" looks like some great info about cccp etc., but this is way over my head. I'm thinking cccp is an application that I do not have? Is this something I need in order to use MC 12. Non the less it didn't seem to correct the problem for snapperocks.

I have also went through all the various decoders available, as someone else suggested. None will play the DVD, but not all give the error pop-up. If you would like a list of the ones that did not vs. did give the error pop-up, please just ask and I will post. But once again I believe we are barking up the wrong tree here as with above.

The post directly above by jgreen makes the most sense, perhaps I need a new decoder for MC12. After all, the other software that does work is ancient technology. Perhaps I just need to upgrade the decoder. Do I just google for any decoder and download, the whole MSFT Database thing gets me, how did you follow it? Can you suggest a file to download. Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

Media Center Registered 12.0.125
Wheel To The Storm
http://wheeltothestorm.com

Yaobing

• Administrator

There is a possibility that your "other" DVD player is running something that interferes with DVD drive access. Here is a quote from Zoomplayer on-line documentation:

There are several reason. The first may be an improperly installed version of DirectX. Installing the latest version is the first step.

Another popular reason for this message is that you have some 3rd party program running in the background which is interfering with drive access. Common programs are DVD Background program (region-free and such) and CD/DVD Packet Writing drivers that may come bundled with CD/DVD Burning programs such as "RecordNow", "Nero" and "Easy CD Creator". You may be able to disable these programs interference within the DVD Drive's property page.

Here is a direct quote from a user who resolved this issue:
I have or should I say had a copy of Stomps RecordNow installed and like Nero & Roxio they have their own packet writing software called DLA. I wasn't even aware it was on my computer. there's no system tray icon. The only way you know is buy opening the properties of your drive or if you right click on the drive there will be an option to enable or disable DLA. I disable the sh.....t and uninstalled and I have Zoom Player back. Something you might want to remember because I'm sure someone else is going to run into this same problem. Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator

Here is a link to Microsoft regarding an issue that is similar to yours:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814846

Yaobing

• Administrator

snapperocks

• World Citizen

Hi
I did as suggested I uninstalled my Power DVD player and I managed to find 2 seperate mpeg2 codecs that didn't work either. On a whim I reinstalled Power DVD and whalla I can now watch DVD's. I can't watch them on Zoom or Windows Media Player which is still a drag. How do I get to watch DVD's on Zoom again I have uninstalled Nero and don't have Real Player.

I have another annoyance that will be easy for you guys to help me with I hope.
When I delete files fom MC I always send them to the RECYCLE BIN as a backup in case I need to recover them. Since I have installed MC12 those files I delete in MC are not showing up in the Recycle bin. Is there a XP or MC setting where I can make sure they go to the recycle bin and not into the ether.
nlc

WheelToTheStorm

• Recent member

That did it for me. Just needed to update the DirectX and now everything works fine. Thanks alot Yaobing, good detective work!!
Wheel To The Storm
http://wheeltothestorm.com

Yaobing

• Administrator

Is there a XP or MC setting where I can make sure they go to the recycle bin and not into the ether.

Recycling Bin has a size limit. When deleting files that are too large, they will not stay in Recycling bin. If your Recycling bin is already filled up, then additional deletion would cause some files that are already in the bin to disappear.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I did as suggested I uninstalled my Power DVD player and I managed to find 2 seperate mpeg2 codecs that didn't work either. On a whim I reinstalled Power DVD and whalla I can now watch DVD's. I can't watch them on Zoom or Windows Media Player which is still a drag. How do I get to watch DVD's on Zoom again I have uninstalled Nero and don't have Real Player.

Something odd is definitely happening, as this shouldn't be the case.  CCCP comes with everything you need for DVD playback and should work quite well via MC, ZoomPlayer, and WiMP.  That's all I use on most of my systems for DVD playback.

As far as your deleting issue... It's possible that you somehow disabled the recycle bin for one or more of your drives (or possibly alltogether).  Check here:

1. Right Click on the Recycle Bin and choose Properties.
2. On the Global tab, ensure that "Use one setting for all drives" is chosen.
3. Make sure the "Do not move files" option is deselected.
4. If you want, you can also adjust the max size of the bin and disable the "Are you sure?" reminder when you delete items here.

It's also possible that your Recycle Bin's "info" database file got corrupted, which will cause it to appear empty even though there are plenty of files in there.  Check this Microsoft Knowledge base article for a few solutions: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517

Lastly, if you happen to be getting an error telling you that the Recycle Bin is Corrupted, check this Microsoft Support document (Q297760).  This can happen frequently if you have a drive "mapped" using the SUBST.EXE command (or Citrix drives mapped) and you don't have XP SP2 installed.  Your best bet is to upgrade to SP2 if you haven't already (gasp!).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

snapperocks

• World Citizen

It was CCP that was preventing Windows media Player working. I uninstalled CCP and installed Xvd and Windows works. I realise Zoom will not play standard DVD's on my computer but is great for playing AVI movies. So Windows Media Player is not needed as Media Center is back in business.  :)

To recap my error message on MC 12 was solved by the decoder for Power DVD being recognized and used by MC.

About my invisible Recycle Bin. I can see files I delete from my HARD DRIVE in the recycle Bin. BUT WHEN I DELETE FILES FROM MEDIA CENTER THEY DO NOT SHOW UP IN THE RECYCLE BIN. Therefore I conclude theres something very odd about files being deleted from MC? :(
nlc

Mr ChriZ

• :-D

=(

I'm getting this on Vista.  Tried Glynors suggestion but no go at the moment....
Most links seem to be related to XP...

Mr ChriZ

Ah ha!
I tried one other thing - New ATI Driver.
No go...
Then restarted computer...
and wallah, so could have been Glynors suggestion or the driver (WMP's suggestion),
but either way it needed a restart, cheers Glynor!

I'm off to watch a movie!

Mr ChriZ

:'( A day later and after a hibernate/sleep and it's returned to the key exchange message =(
[Update]
Restart resolved the problem again, but for how long?!
Grr Windows!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team

This May Help

I Had The Same Problem

http://www.dvd43.com/
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up