INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using my microwave oven crashes MC12 !  (Read 2895 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Using my microwave oven crashes MC12 !
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:44:33 pm »

Hi,

I have been seeing some random crashes in MC12 and was never sure what was going on. This always happenned when I am playing something (audio/video doesn't matter). I am using MC12 in Client mode connecting to a Library Server in the home network using 802.11g wifi connection.

I saw a correlation today that whenever I use my microwave oven, one of the two things will happen.

• Whatever is playing will pause. The playback will continue 1-2 seconds after microwave is no longer in use.
  • Whatever is playing will pause. MC12 will crash shortly after.

I am guessing that microwave is creating too much noise in the wireless network (all operate near 2.4GHz as I understand). This made me think how well does MC12 client mode handles network disconnection with LIbrary Server. Is there a way to enhance MC12 Client mode such that

• Network disconnections are handled gracefully. Whatever is playing should pause with network disconnection. And, it would continue whenever the connection is established again if it is within certain time limit.
  • MC12 Client mode would survive ACPI Suspend to RAM (S3) and wake-up. This would enable me to just leave MC12 in theater view mode all the time - even through ACPI suspend to RAM (s3) and wake-up.

These are both different requests. But, both are connected to how well M12 client handles diconnection/reconnection to network and Library Server.

thanks a lot!
Osho

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Using my microwave oven crashes MC12 !
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:50:32 pm »

I would say you need a new WAP.   :-\

It's true that many of the cheaper ones are prone to interference on the 2.4GHz band, but certainly not all of them.  I would like it if MC handled network disconnects more gracefully, but I'm not sure there's much it can do without much more robust buffering (which has problems of its own).  It also could be the WAN cards in your computers that are troublesome, rather than the WAP...

More importantly, IMHO, I'd like it if MC could somehow tell the OS to reconnect to "disconnected" shares on play.  As is, if the OS thinks the share is disconnected, MC refuses to start playback until you manually "open" the share using Windows Explorer.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:24:18 pm »

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=413459&rl=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

I'm not sure how it can crash MC though, this is really strange.
Media files are transmitted with TCP (in Library Server). TCP guarantees that
1) you either receive data or an error message.
2) the data you receive is correct. (well, at least as far as the checksum can tell).
This tells me that the crash is unrelated to the data being transmitted, and is somewhere else, perhaps in the network driver.

Any more info or details you could provide would be helpful

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:37:55 pm »

It maybe time for a new microwave, and or new wifi network.

Danger: Exposure limits (Safety Code 6)

for radiofrequency-exposed workers: 5 mW/cm2 (50 W/m2) when averaged over 0.1 hour (6 min) and when spatially averaged.
for persons other than radiofrequency-exposed workers (i.e., general population): 1 mW/cm2 (10 W/m2) when averaged over 0.1 hour (6 min.) period and when spatially averaged.

Part III (Microwave Ovens) of the Radiation Emitting Devices Regulation (C.R.C., C. 1370) specifies the following limits for the leakage radiation at 5 cm from the surface of the microwave oven:

1.0 mW/cm2 with test load
5.0 mW/cm2 without test load
X-ray exposure not exceeding 0.5 mR (milliroentgen) per hour spread over an area of 10 cm2
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 04:58:18 pm »

I thought this was a joke lol.
Guess its a real post :P

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:27:01 pm »

I thought this was a joke lol.
Guess its a real post :P

Microwave ovens are actually serious problems for devices that work in the 2.4 GHz range.  2.4 GHz Phones are also very susceptible to this -- if the microwave is active, it can really interfere with the signal.  The extent to which this is a problem depends on many factors, such as the specific hardware involved (BOTH the microwave and the router) as well as specific placement, etc.

I've never heard of a microwave causing a program to actaully crash, but based on what you're describing, it really doesn't surprise me.  I'd say that a new router "may" solve the problem, but it may not if it's still 2.4 GHz.  You may, however, find that moving things around a bit alleviates the problem to some extent.

Please let us know what happens -- I'd actually be interested to hear how you solve this, including the things that did NOT work.

Thanks,

Larry

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:35:31 pm »

Microwave ovens are actually serious problems for devices that work in the 2.4 GHz range.

Yes, and more devices are using the 2.4Ghz range (I have a few wireless spy cameras that uses this range) I think some new phones do also.

The Cameras Looks Like This:

http://www.spartasoftware.com/images/SpyCam.jpg

Our network (at work) was effected by other devices used around our store\Office and we actually had to have our local network hardwired because of it (about a year ago).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:50:31 am »

I would like it if MC handled network disconnects more gracefully...

Hmmm.. this is the second time my entire library (on a client pc) has got wiped out due to my media server dropping off the network for a little while. I don't recall this ever having to me in v11. Is this a new "feature"? In the past, if media content residing on a network share became unavailable, the worst that would happen is MC would throw up an alert box when attempting to play something. A re-map of the drives and you're off again. Having MC delete this content from your library and then requiring a complete re-import seems very unneccessary (to say the least).

This is not somehow tied to Auto Import is it? I have the "Fix Broken Links" option set to "yes" but this should apply to watch folders only right?

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:01:38 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried moving things around. My microwave is built into the kitchen cabinets (over the stove) kind. So, I can't move it. I tried moving the WAP around but that didn't help. My HTPC is in entertainment center cabinet which can't be moved. I do not want to upgrade my 802.11g router or wifi because I am waiting for 802.11n wifi network in near future. So, at this point I have ordered two of the following powerline ethernet adapters

http://www.amazon.com/PL-100-PowerLine-85Mbps-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B000FGADVA/sr=8-1/qid=1166122432/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4310789-9752748?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Hopefully, this will completely solve this issue.

thanks,
Osho

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:10:03 pm »

Makes me glad I rely on wired networks for everything except for the laptop and the WM5 PPC! Still, my microwave oven is in the far southwestern corner of the house, and I'd have to be outside to get interference, I think. Oh, and I thought this was a joke post as well, but you seem legit. :) I think using powerline adapaters may work, but they are hysterically prone to interference (you don't find signals any more dirty than on the power lines). Still, as long as you stick to music you should be good. A full quality DVD probably won't work, though.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 05:57:23 pm »

Makes me glad I rely on wired networks for everything except for the laptop and the WM5 PPC!

Yeah. Anybody building a new home should get the gigabit ethernet plugs all over the place in the house, man! This would be so useful :).

thanks,
Osho

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:37:30 am »

Well, my house was built in 1980, and I bought it in 1997. But I didn't wait long, I ran cables up the walls and in the attic. Looks like a deranged spider has been loose up there! ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 03:27:14 pm »

This is not somehow tied to Auto Import is it? I have the "Fix Broken Links" option set to "yes" but this should apply to watch folders only right?   

You might think that but you'd be wrong.  Fix Broken Links should be set to "Yes, Leave Network Files" unless you like recreating your library every time your network goes down.  It is NOT limited to the Watch Folders.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 03:31:32 pm »

Like I said: That stuf should be turned off by default when installing! :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 03:35:58 pm »

Agreed.  Though, in that particular case, it is.  "Yes, Leave Network Files" is the default.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 04:14:47 pm »

Agreed.  Though, in that particular case, it is.  "Yes, Leave Network Files" is the default.

Hmmm but it's on the Auto Import options page  :-\ ....
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

bigmikey

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 06:32:57 pm »

As a technician, I can also tell you Microwave ovens generate huges amount of electro-magnetic energy, not just RF energy, and I have more than once watched a microwave oven peg the needle on a voltmeter, setting on a bench on the other side of the shop, that wasn't even turned on :>) They can cause all matter of problems in other electronic equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up