INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snap, crackle, pop and wobble  (Read 1139 times)

Araj

• World Citizen
Snap, crackle, pop and wobble
« on: December 27, 2006, 06:24:57 am »

I have a problem which is driving me insane - namely that in playback, I get cracks, pops and rapid wobbles (rather like a skipping CD) at irregular intervals. So far I have found out that it seems to be at least partly dependent on CPU load, which is very volatile and shoots up to 90 to 100 just when I move the mouse over the MC play controls or menu (without actually clicking anything) for example.
I have tried everything I can think of, another sound card, new drivers, re- and deinstalls etc. - and while the phenomenon started occurring around the time I installed MC12, it doesn't seem to matter which program I use for playback - MC12, MC11, Windows MP, Audacity etc. - the distortion remains more or less the same.
The only difference between the soundcards is that the SB Audigy 2 ZS makes much louder cracks and pops than the old SB PCI 128 that I dragged from the grave for comparison.

Any suggestions more than welcome !

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Snap, crackle, pop and wobble
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:06:10 am »

Others will probably come up with better ideas, but here's one that
used to effect me, having a TV card etc to close
to the sound card.
Try moving the sound card into different PCI slots if you've got others available.

Also try turning off all audio sources except the wave out,
microphone, aux, line in, etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:02:31 am »

There may be some similar problems in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

rjm

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:16:50 pm »

Any chance your media hard drive is connected to non-motherboard IDE controller?

I ran into clicks and pops when I added a PCI IDE controller (so I could have more hard drives than my motherboard would support).

Only solution was to connect my media hard drive to the motherboard IDE controller.

My theory was that interrupt activity needed to support the PCI IDE controller was disrupting the audio codec.
Pages: [1]   Go Up