INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Questions.  (Read 2179 times)

Twit

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Server Questions.
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:45:30 pm »

Hi,

I was using the media server to access MC12's library from another computer.

1 - The client computer can connect and load the library and play music.
2 - I can see the playlists on the server from the client.
3 - I created a playlist on the client - It did not show up on the server - Is it supposed to?
4 - The playlist worked on the client - IE i could add the playlist to 'now playing'.
5 - I closed MC on the client and when I reopened the playlist was gone - Is this supposed to happen?

Is there a way to make the playlist show on the server from a client?

Later
Simon.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
Re: Media Server Questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 01:52:36 pm »

Hi,

Yes, Unfortunately CLients connected to the Media Server are read-only connections. no updates make it back... maybe we'll get privileges and read-/write access inthe future.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

Twit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 02:09:18 pm »

Thanks - Quick reply.

Maybe MC should pop up a warning stating that the playlist is temporary?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:27:30 pm »

Running into the same problem I've found this thread with the forum search. Pretty late for a response but maybe somebody else is interested in my workaround:
create playlist(s)
go to File -> export playlist and export to M3U
store this M3U(s) in a separate folder on your local drive
add this folder to auto-import

works if you start your client and if you switch from standard to server library as well

I would like a function that merges a local and the server library. This way my son could store his music (and playlists) on his local drive and gets full access to my library with the comfort of the media server. My workaround is a sufficent solution with playlists but would last too long if it has to auto-import a few hundred tracks as well
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:34:30 pm »

Thanks for the info, it would be good in the Wiki, maybe here:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#After_the_Library_is_Served

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:43:58 pm »

Thanks very much!!!

j

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:27:48 pm »

I assumed to that playlists created on a client would automatically be saved to the master server. My client's "Media Center Server" is in a server room in the basement. He wants to be able to quickly create playlists from client PC for parties etc and I really don't want him in the "server" itself as that's when things tend to get messed up.

What would it take to have playlists automatically saved to the server or a "save playlist to server" option.?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:28 am »

Library Server does not save changes made on the client, other than last played and playcount info.

If it is quick playlists for parties, Library Server is perfect, the playlists are there, but not saved permanently.

If you want to save changes, it probably would be better to use a library shared on the network instead of library server.

j

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 03:48:02 pm »

In my client's situation, we are using Cinemar's MusicLobby to control music in general. MusicLobby controls the master JRiver Server. I'd like to set his office PC up with Media Center so he can make quick playlists that will show up on the primary MediaCenter server. I don't want him in the server itself.

So...is there a way o create shared playlists from a client?
Can playlists be stored in a shared folder? This would work then it would not matter where the playlists are created from the server would in theory automatically pick them up.

Need a simple solution

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 02:32:35 pm »

Having issues with this and trying to understand how things work

On the library client I make a play list and export it as a playlist to a folder on the shared NAS called "~playlists". This works and I see it on the NAS.

On the Library server machine (primary media center) I've set auto import to monitor this folder and included playlists in the auto import function

Nothing shows up on the library server side. Auto-Import does not appear to be working automatically? Auto import is set to run in the background.

I tried "import playlist" from server and It duplicated every song in the existing library. Then I tried a single song test playlist and it worked BUT it did not automatically import....I had to import it manually. When the play list imported it also now shows up as a duplicate song entry on the primary media server...this is NOT what I want. Imagine everytime a playlist is imported it actually duplicates and adds all the music that is in the playlist to the existing library. this seems really stupid to me.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:58:27 pm »

Even if you get the auto-import working, I don't think this will do what you want it to.

Clients will not see the new playlist on the server until the library is re-downloaded, not immediately.

Please start a new topic with a different title about the auto-import problem - it's not relevant to library server.

Thanks,

j

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:17:16 pm »

John

Sorry about his but I think it's actually it's relevent to media server as I am trying to get play lists made from clients to show up on the media server...not the other way around. I'm not trying to use clients to play music at all...just manage playlists on the main media center server. The scenario is this. Media server is running on a primary server PC in a server room in the basement. I have a client set up in the office. Tablets control the media server itself for playing music around the house via MainLobby. For simplicity sake, I'm trying to make playlists from the office client PC so that those playlists show up automatically on the tablets...which are reading playlists from the media server. the reason for this is:A it is easier to use a full PC to make playlists than the mainlobby/musiclobby UI on the tablets and B it's not practical to go down to the server room everytime a new playlists needs to be added.

The bottom line is how can you make a playing on one PC and have it show up on another automatically?

Perhaps I should not be using a media server/client setup at all? if that's the case then of course none of this is relevent to the topic and appologize for mis posting.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 03:22:36 pm »

Sure it makes sense. But people who can help figure out the auto-import problem probably aren't reading threads about library server.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up