INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D-Link DSM-320...can you say Format Not Supported?  (Read 1693 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
D-Link DSM-320...can you say Format Not Supported?
« on: January 21, 2007, 03:37:12 am »

I just got my DSM-320 today and must say it is somewhat worthless.  I'm wondering if I need to setup MC better to serve it.  Is there any way to play DVD folders on it?  It supposedly supports .vob files and MP2 video.

benn600

Re: D-Link DSM-320...can you say Format Not Supported?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:40:14 am »

Well, it looks like it kind of supports VIDEO_TS.  It appears to play all the video fine but it can't handle the menu at all.  It also doesn't buffer really at all so the start of each piece of video lags and stutters.  The only video I've seen is the stuff before the actual movie (because I can't get to or past the menu).

I couldn't get any of my other videos to play, many of which I thought were WMV.  If VIDEO_TS worked, I'd be relatively happy.

Addition: if I break the DVD up so all the VOB files are separate, it plays the video quite well.  I am able to manually force it to play certain VOB files but it can't handle the menu so it would be a pain.  I need to email their support and request this feature be added.

I just emailed them and asked for FLAC & DVD Menu support.  I really doubt they'll answer my request but why can't media player companies see that file support is KEY, especially for anyone with limited time.  I'm not going to re-encode all my video to Nero Digital Format...LOL...like they tell me to do.

The audio level is VERY low.  I don't even see the bars on my equalizer display on my stereo and I have to turn it about twice as loud as I usually do for a decent level.  Audio isn't as bad and actually, they might be about the same.  Both levels are way too low.  I could try optical audio.  If I can find an extra cable laying around, I'll try it.  Technically my stereo is only RCA but the RadioShack video switcher I use has optical and I think it can down convert optical to RCA in the box.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:08:08 am »

I could get the movie to play by playing the VOBs instead of the IFOs. I'm not sure how the menu should work here. I *think* this is a problem on the DSM-320 side - it should handle the menu itself, and just request the various VOBs from the server. Anyone think different?

For the audio level - mine seems to be fine. Could be hardware, or a phono level cable plugged to a line level jack?

j

benn600

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:41:02 am »

That's what I was thinking.  I know Vob's play fine but the problem is that if you're using Media Center as the UPnP server, then you have to have a duplicate of each DVD.  One with a VIDEO_TS folder and one without.  The VIDEO_TS would let my regular computers import the correct "single pointer" DVD and the VIDEO_TS free folder would let the UPnP server send the correct stuff to the DSM-320.  Besides, however, who wants to play VOBs manually.  I want the DVD menu!
Pages: [1]   Go Up