INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes, Smashes and Art  (Read 5192 times)

kayleigh07

Crashes, Smashes and Art
« on: January 26, 2007, 02:04:36 pm »

I notice that in MC12 Beta the cover art is inaccurate for different and when I change it, it still displays like one cover art picture for different songs by different artists and albums. How can I change it. How do I stop the same art from being displayed on an mp3 or audio file that it doesn't belong to, incorrectly. I also want to report that I have been trying to use the latest beta version of MC12 but it keeps crashing. I hope they correct that area of things.

Just tell me what to do to stop the cover art problem mentioned above. Thanks.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Crashes, Smashes and Art
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 03:04:13 pm »

Clear all cover art from the Options menu.  Then, it will rebuild everything.

I am thinking the cover art database got messed up.

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 04:53:51 pm »

I also want to report that I have been trying to use the latest beta version of MC12 but it keeps crashing. I hope they correct that area of things.

Please give more details, crashes are not that common. It would be best to start a new thread specifically about your crashes.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

kayleigh07

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:57:01 am »

When I say it crashes I mean that it opens and runs fine for a while then I get an error message and the program stops functioning and disappears.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:12:17 am »

Uninstall any third party plug-ins.

Try looking for a clue here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

kayleigh07

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 09:58:04 am »

Hi Jim,
   I took your advice and went to the link for disabling plug-ins but the entries are old and I can't figure out how to disable. I go to the plug ins option but I don't know how to disable the plug-ins and which ones I should disable. I don't want to disable burning or ripping so is there other plug-ins I can disable? I can do without visualization but I dont want to lose ripping or burning but at the same time I want to use the program without crashing. Suppose I even disbale all the plug-ins and it still crashes what do I do then? What do I disable and how do I do it?

Please reply soon!

kayleigh07

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 01:35:54 pm »

Does anyone know how to uninstall MC12 plugins, especially manually (one by one)? I want to use MC12 for ripping and burning but if I have to uninstall those plugins I guess I will. But I really want to know if the plugins thing will fix my frequently crashing MC12. If I do uninstall the plugins and the problems still continue what should I do then? Please help and please reply soon!

Thanks.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:48:43 pm »

I assume he is only talking about third party plug-ins, not the built in ones.  Could be mistaken though.

kayleigh07

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 03:47:10 pm »

I don't think I have third party plug-ins. I just have the ones that came with the download exe file. I didn't update or anything like that. So if I have no third party plug-ins, just the built in ones...what is causing all these crashes and all this instability with MC12? My guess is that it is the specific type of beta Media Center 12.0.154 I hope things will get better in the next beta, if that is the case. If anyone thinks it is the beta version mention it to me. If you think otherwise let me know also. I value everyone's opinion!

Peace Out!

kayleigh07

Re: Crashes, Smashes and Art (Please Help Me)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 11:22:01 am »

I don't know if I have third party plug-ins. I didn't update or anything that would apply third party plug-ins. I am just using the raw program. So if I have no third party plug-ins, just the built in ones...what is causing all these crashes and all this instability with MC12? My guess is that it is the specific type of beta Media Center 12.0.154 I hope things will get better in the next beta, if that is the case. If anyone thinks it is the beta version mention it to me. If you think otherwise let me know also. I value everyone's opinion!

One last thing...do MC12 Betas get released on a weekend and particularly on a Sunday? I want to know cause I am looking forward to an update.

Peace out!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:30:47 am »

MC12 isn't really a 'beta' anymore.  The word 'beta' has been removed from the forum title and the product splash screen.

What all do you have MC12 doing?  As in:
Any folders set to auto-import?
Any podcasts set up and auto-downloading?
What are you doing when it crashes?

As another poster suggested you would be best served to start a thread specifically about any crashes you are experiencing with details on what auto-processes are set up and what you are doing when it crashes.

kayleigh07

Media Center 12 Crashes
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 01:20:01 pm »

Thanks to BartMan01 for telling me that Media Center 12 isn't a beta anymore. I didn't know that. That would mean that future releases of MC12
wouldn't be a beta update but just slight improvements on the existing version, you know...just fixes for glitches and all that.

All I have MC12 doing is playing media files like music and videos. I haven't ripped anything yet or burnt anything as well because I am afraid of getting an error message and have the program fail on me. I have not set folders to auto import and I don't use podcasts. I just do the basics...playing media. Sometimes when I double click on a media file, whether pictures, videos or audio it will give me an error message and then disappear. Or sometimes when I try to play a file within the interface in the library or now playing window it will crash occassionally but not as much as when I double click on a file on my desktop or in a folder.

I don't know if J River is going to release another updated version of MC12. Does anyone know if there will be an update for MC12 really soon? Like a follow up to Media Center 12.0.154 or is everyone skeptical?

jalaneme

• Recent member
Re: Media Center 12 Crashes
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 01:26:10 pm »

mine crashes when i go to options and enter CD ripping options, by default it's set to Windows media but when i change it to mp3 media center crashes and i have to force it to close :( it also says "audioscrobber not found" i usually like to use mp3 VBA, media center 11 was more stable than this, i also get crashing error messages when i click on library aswell in option.

yep, it seems my mp3 encoder is missing, when i go into plug in setup and click on this the error comes up and media center closes, how can in uninstall and re install plugins?

another major bug, when clicking on library and folders in options media center crashes, also when clicking on the shortcut on desktop my whole computer crashes nothing on screen and i have to to a forced reboot :( this build should have been released it's far too unstable!

modelmaker

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 03:26:18 pm »

Also, what other programs are running; virus checkers, adware, Nero, etc.

As no one else is reporting crashes, it seems the problem lies with your system/configuration. We will all try to help you solve the issue. Please also post your system info (Help>System Info).

There are no releases over the weekend, but the guys at JRiver do check the forums over the weekend.
Jay.

kayleigh07

Re: Media Center 12 Crashes (Repeat)
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 03:32:50 pm »

Repeat: All I have MC12 doing is playing media files like music and videos. I haven't ripped anything yet or burnt anything as well because I am afraid of getting an error message and have the program fail on me. I have not set folders to auto import and I don't use podcasts. I just do the basics...playing media. Sometimes when I double click on a media file, whether pictures, videos or audio it will give me an error message and then disappear. Or sometimes when I try to play a file within the interface in the library or now playing window it will crash occassionally but not as much as when I double click on a file on my desktop or in a folder.

I don't know if J River is going to release another updated version of MC12. Does anyone know if there will be a follow up update for MC12 really soon? Like a follow up to Media Center 12.0.154 or is everyone skeptical?

kayleigh07

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 09:30:23 pm »

Actually modelmaker there have been other complaints of crashes if I am not mistaken. I have seen reports on this forum. I would have to search for the specific messages and users who have reported crashes but that would take a while. But trust me...the program has faults which they are working out now. Hopefully I can get a more stable and updated release early this week. And I don't run a lot of graphics and memory driven applications with MC12. I dont run virus checkers, adware, Nero, etc. I just use it with regular folders and applications that are stable and not time or graphics or memory driven. I do think it is MC12 and I hope they clear up the bugs in the system.

Peace Out!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 10:11:01 pm »

There may well be other complaints of crashes but that doesn't mean that MC is causing those crashes. The vast majority of users of MC12 are using it without any crashes which points to a system specific issue.  The best way to get your problem solved is to post specific information about it on this board. If, as you say, you don't run virus checkers, perhaps you should sweep your system for viruses.

If you're adamant that it is MC, then it is possible you have a corrupt audio/image file in your collection that's causing the program to choke.

I suggest spending a little time trying to work out if there is any common behaviour with your crashes, i.e. MC is playing/accessing a certain file or it happens when you click a certain button or menu item.

modelmaker

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »

Yes, what prod said.
Jay.

JONCAT

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 11:15:08 pm »

Your cover art problem, strangely enough, sound like a simple location issue and I am surprised no has mentioned to ask how you are storing your cover art. If it is stored in a folder with many different artist/albums then it can get attached to the wrong files.

What files are you playing when you get crashes? Audio, video? What filetypes?

Have you tested your PC with some stress testers?

When I get crashes, I am asking for it and I have had many many crashes. Most often it is some system specific conflict; system instability, a corrupt file, or a bad codec may exacerbate the issue. . .

Stick with it...they are a lot of  very intelligent and helpful people hanging out here. The more details you can provide, the more light you will shine on the problem, and usually you'll glean some tip here that will allow you to solve your own problem.

DC

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:59 am »

Actually modelmaker there have been other complaints of crashes if I am not mistaken.

No you are not mistaken - I am one of those users.  The problem is that MC is not an island all by itself, it relies on many additional third party components (CODECS and possibly DLL's) to play back some content.  In my case, the 'crash' only happens while MC12 is running and is attributed to MC12 by Windows.  But, the 'crash' usually leaves MC completely responsive (content continues to play, I can click around within the UI).  The crash for all intensive purposes appears to be 'caused' by MC12, but it is likely due to the interaction between MC12, a specific piece (or pieces) of content, and a third party CODEC or program.  Tracking this down (unless it is happening to several people and can be intentionally reproduced) to even see if there is anything JRiver can do about it can be difficult.  The more info you provide, the better the chance that it can be resolved.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 08:46:12 am »

Media Center 12 isn't a beta anymore. ... That would mean that future releases of MC12 wouldn't be a beta update but just slight improvements on the existing version, you know...just fixes for glitches and all that.

I take it you are new to MC.  JRiver has a fairly active release cycle, and adds new features all the time.  Their incremental releases (12.x) are also (historically speaking) free to existing 12.x users.

All I have MC12 doing is playing media files like music and videos. I haven't ripped anything yet or burnt anything as well because I am afraid of getting an error message and have the program fail on me. I have not set folders to auto import and I don't use podcasts. I just do the basics...playing media. Sometimes when I double click on a media file, whether pictures, videos or audio it will give me an error message and then disappear. Or sometimes when I try to play a file within the interface in the library or now playing window it will crash occasionally but not as much as when I double click on a file on my desktop or in a folder.

No offense, but this really isn't helpful in any way other than a generic complaint.  It would help to provide details, like:  specific file that caused the crash, how the file is encoded, MC logs, what CODECs/CODEC packs you have installed, and any other relevant information you can think of.

I don't know if J River is going to release another updated version of MC12. Does anyone know if there will be an update for MC12 really soon? Like a follow up to Media Center 12.0.154 or is everyone skeptical?
Ending all of your posts with this will only serve to alienate people.  As I stated above, MC has always had an active release cycle.  Don't know how you define 'really soon', but several of the staff and/or beta team have already stated (in your posts) that an update is expected this week.

kayleigh07

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 08:47:36 am »

Thanks for the info BartMan01 and you and others on this thread could be right but I am still puzzled as to why the program crashes. I know Windows XP (what I am running) has given me great success with all my media players and all versions of Media Center and I have been using Media Center when it was Media Jukebox and I had 99% success running that without any errors. I also used Media Center 11 and there were virtually no problems. I think it may be a codec or a bad dll file but watever it is I still think it is the program. I am not doing anything with the program so far except playing music and videos and occasionally view pictures. I dont know all the technical terms but I know how to get around programs like these easily and fix them. I am not bragging because I know I am not the biggest expert out there...that's why I am asking for help here. I do run virus checkers and I have Windows Defender and Registry Mechanic as well as spyware removal tools and I have few problems (no viruses or spyware and very little registry problems).

Look people I am not looking for trouble or bashing MC12 but I think these latest particular releases may be bad. And I think the developers may know this. And that's why they provide updates to their programs, to get out the bugs. I have done everything under the sun to get to the heart of the problem. "But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If the next MC12 release is bad then I think it may be something clashing with my windows xp."

I really hope there are no more crashes because I love MC12. It is the best media player of all time. It can do anything. I hope the next version sorts out the bugs because I think it is MC12.

Peace Out!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 09:11:20 am »

Thanks for the info BartMan01 and you and others on this thread could be right but I am still Look people I am not looking for trouble or bashing MC12 but I think these latest particular releases may be bad.

JRiver currently has a Beta team of which I'm apart of.  Part of the reason for this is so that
we can do some destruction testing before it gets sent out to the masses, and also so bugs
don't start doing damage to peoples librarys.
We pick up any trivial bugs almost immediatley, and many of us run MC round the clock, generally picking up bugs which may hide themselves over time as well.
Quite a few still leak out, but they tend to be more obscure bugs, or relating to specific hardware like portable devices.

If you're seeing crashes in every day use of MC using the latest build then it would definitley
seem to point to something obscure, possibly a hardware issue, or software mismatch.
You need to provide as much information as possible for JRiver and other users to be able to help you.

When did the problem occur?
What message was displayed?
Can you reproduce the problem?

There is one well known bug at the moment relating to Syncing portable devices,
but other than this I've not seen MC crash in several months.

kayleigh07

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 09:52:20 am »

The problem occurs when I start up MC12. The error message is

Critical Error

"Media Center has encountered critical error #30. Some essential compenent is missing or corrupted.

Please uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Media Center. If this error persists, report it to J River"

When I just started up the problem was reproduced. I just don't know why I am getting a problem like this. Well....now that you know the error message maybe you can check it out.

By the way, I have tried tio install and re-install MC12 several times and the problem still occurs.

kayleigh07

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 09:53:34 am »

Critical Error

"Media Center has encountered critical error #30. Some essential compenent is missing or corrupted.

Please uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Media Center. If this error persists, report it to J River"

When I just started up the problem was reproduced. I just don't know why I am getting a problem like this. Well....now that you know the error message maybe you can check it out.

By the way, I have tried tio install and re-install MC12 several times and the problem still occurs.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 11:33:18 am »

I have tried tio install and re-install MC12 several times and the problem still occurs.

Just curious if you have tried the following:
Backup library
Completely uninstall MC (choose the complete uninstall option).
Disable or uninstall your anti-virus, spy blockers, etc (so that they are not running the next time you boot)
Reboot.
Install MC again.
Restore your library.
Re-enable/Re-install your anti-virus, spy blockers, etc.
Reboot again.

Sometimes AV/Spy Ware programs can prevent critical components or system files from getting installed/updated.

kayleigh07

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

Hey there BartMan01! Thanks for the tip. I did all you requested"

Completely uninstalled MC (chose the complete uninstall option).
Uninstalled my anti-virus (Even though I had a hard time getting it re-installed)
Temporarily got rid of spy blockers and of course rebooted.
It in all honestly it didn't crash that much but it did still crash frequently and when I double click on a file that is assciated with MC12 it didn't crash as much either but it still gave me the error message I told you about before. However I didn't backup my library, which made sense because I burnt all of my mp3s and videos to DVD as I am no longer keeping them on my hard drive.

Afterwards I reinstalled MC12. I then re-installed the spyware and anti-virus software but the program is still unstable even after several reboots. I don't know the problem but like I am telling everyone it didn't happen to me until this version of MC12. I dont want to bash the program as it is my favourite media player of all time and trust me...MusicMatch was the greatest back in its day and so was Winamp. However I am committed to MC12. I just know in my gut that it is the version and after they release an update it should be over.

By the way...after all this I installed MC12 curent version on my sister's laptop and similar things happend. Her laptop is very new. She just got it in October and has run other media players and they gave little trouble.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance and advice. Peace out!

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 04:15:46 pm »

kayleigh07,

i have had a lot of problems with cover art and crashes with MC12, worked perfectly with MC11...i decided
to change my codec from K-Lite to CCCP...and after that MC12 do much better  :)...even though it still crashes,
but normally there is a newly imported video that MC does not like, removing that one and it's running again...

...now i'm happy again when i can use MC  ;D
MT5FR

kayleigh07

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 04:19:48 pm »

Hey BartMan01 I am new to this forum and all. Sorry if I am alienating anyone. I am just eager to get another updated version of the software. You are right...when it comes, it comes! Sorry for the trouble.

Peace out!

modelmaker

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 07:08:31 pm »

kayleigh07:

We can see that you aren't bashing MC and are just frustrated, that's ok.
We also get a bit frustrated when we don't have enough info to solve someone's problem. Everyone's computer setup and its interraction with MC is different, there are no 2 alike. So hang in there, answer our questions as best you can and eventually we'll get to the bottom of it.

When I said earlier that crashes were not common, for the majority of users that was and is true. Yes there are individuals that are experiencing problems (like you) that can result in crashes, but there are thousands of other users that are not and have not experienced crashes or at least very rarely, I'm one of the beta testers and I haven't had a crash in almost a year. I have had probs with installing MC from time to time, usually caused by a browser issue or anti virus/spam progs.

Obviously, you are having a problem with MC12.154, but the majority of users are not, so the build is in fact stable and wouldn't have made it to public release if it weren't. JRiver doesn't just throw a build together and shove it out to the public, they are all tested by both the JRiver team and the beta testers (which are all users), before they are released, (we are 3 or 4 builds ahead of the public release testing and at some point JRiver will decide to make a cumulative update available to the public). As MC12 is still quite young, there will still be some bugs.

One last thought, in your original post, you mentioned the crashes almost as an afterthought. It is preferrable on this forum to post each issue in it's own thread, that way when we go through the posts we can zone in on the posts in our areas of expertise more efficiently and important subjects won't tend to get lost in long posts like this one. :)

So, hang in there and somebody here will figure it out. Enjoy. Jay.
Jay.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 03:37:00 am »

By the way...after all this I installed MC12 curent version on my sister's laptop and similar things happend. Her laptop is very new. She just got it in October and has run other media players and they gave little trouble.

Some more info would be good again, you say similar.
Are we talking the same error message on start up?

Do you have MC11 installed on the same machine still?  (This should cause no issues,
but may help in resolving problems)

Did the uninstall process complete ok, when you uninstalled it?
Try checking that all files were removed from
%Program Files%\J River\Media Center 12
When doing an uninstall.
Are you running XP or Vista?
(Far more people are still on XP so odd Vista issues may still be thrown up)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 04:18:34 am »

Critical Error

Historically, critical error #30 is caused by a virus, or something else, altering core media center program files. Once you've found, and dealt with, the culprit, usually a reinstall and re-liscence sort things out.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up