INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDTV from Cable Box via Firewire  (Read 866 times)

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
HDTV from Cable Box via Firewire
« on: February 05, 2007, 05:34:46 am »

I've been trying to get HDTV from my Motorola cable box into my PC for weeks.  My video capture card is pre-HDTV so I'm looking at other resources.  After doing much research I've begun experimenting with Firewire.  I can record an HD signal as a .ts (transcoded stream?) file, but still having some trouble converting that to mpg.  Still, 5c encryption aside, is it possible to watch TV via Firewire in MC12? 

My firewire linked STB (set top box) shows up as device #1 in the Tuner dropbox, but the instant it's selected the PC reboots.  I've heard this is not an uncommon occurrance.  Can anyone shed some light on viewing TV via Firewire (possibly even changing channels)?  It (supposedly) works in MCE in HD.

The reason I'm not stressing my box specifically (I know Firewire's just the cable, and it's the device that's important) is that my STB is properly installed with correct drivers and does function in other software.  Also, if this isn't going to get the job done (HDTV in PC), can anyone who has achieved this give me a practical blueprint?
-Tanoshimi

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: HDTV from Cable Box via Firewire
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:04:22 am »

The only Firewire support in Media Center was added with digital camcorder in mind. It works with DV devices. I do not know how it should work with a cable set top box. It is found under TV Tuner. Once the device is selected in TV Options (on TV Channels page), you can start the device by clicking "0" and then "Enter" on the keypad.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HDTV from Cable Box via Firewire
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:08:06 am »

Thanks for the reply.  Apparently it won't work, since the PC reboots as soon as the Cable Box is selected from the drop down.  I suppose I can use the normal (ATI) card to watch regular TV and if I end up on a HD channel switch over to VLC.  I'll just put a VLC shortcut on the Theater View menu.
Thanks,
Pages: [1]   Go Up