INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible No longer compatible with J River?!  (Read 3889 times)

ocenter

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Audible No longer compatible with J River?!
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:43 pm »

I just reformatted and reinstalled MC12 a few days ago and I every time I tried to play an audible file they would not play and I would get a message saying audible error (-42).So I contacted audible and they sent me this letter.

Thank you for contacting Audible.com.

I looked into your playback issue further. I found out that you did need to Activate your JRiver, with the exception of JRiver Media Center 11, unfortunately we are no longer compatible with the JRiver Media Center. I apologize that I was not able to inform you of that when we talked over the phone, that information was not availible to me at the time. If you have 12, you will be unable to Activate your account, the only alternative would be iTunes or Audible Manager.

If you do have M.C. 11, here is link off of our site:

Whats going on? I have not read anything in this forum about audible support being discontinued with MC12 and if it's not then someone should get in touch with audible because that is the impression that they are under. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Audible No longer compatible with J River?!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 11:28:53 pm »

No offense towards Audible but I just don't see how it can be worth the price!  I have often thought it would be great.  I use Yourmusic & Netflix.  Both of which let me buy (yourmusic) and rent (netflix) music and dvds, respectively, but Audible just seems so costly.  Their prices seem way out of line, considering for the price of my netflix account, I would get one book per month.  Ignoring the issue that I probably couldn't read more than one a month, another family member could use a second (for the same price).  Then it might be compelling.

I absolutely love internet management of my content to order.  I love the queue in Yourmusic and Netflix.  I wish Yourmusic would create a 4 CDs per month setup.  They should offer various plans for customers like Netflix (except Yourmusic means you buy, which is best obviously).

ocenter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:08:25 am »

Uhhhhh..... OK..... Not sure an op-ed piece was what I was looking for but I have to travel alot and being stuck (yeah JFK is my second home with all the delays) for a few hours it is the perfect companion when you want to relax your eyes and listen. I also find it very reasonable in pricing (2 books plus the Wall Street Journal daily +NY Times Daily for $19.95). I used to be able to podcast both papers from anywhere in the world with MC11.1. I really don't want to put itunes on any of my computers. If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated

ocenter

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:45:22 am »

Alright I've got it now. I guess there is no way of authorizing audible through MC12 anymore, so you have to either install itunes or audible manager to authorize playback of the files. I guess this only happen on a clean install since I've had MC12 for a few months and there were no problems before. I just installed itunes and authorized the files through it and now I have no problems playing them in MC12. I think you guys really need to let us know what is going on here. You have the audible store as a service but there seems to be no support. It seems quite ridiculous that I can buy and download the files through MC12 but I have to authorize them on a different player. What's going on?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:08:32 am »

Hi Ocenter.
I'd imagine somethings broken.
Bare in mind JRiver's time is offset to yours and they'll not be in the office
for another 4 hours or so.

They'll most likely let you know what's happening when they get in.
They were probably unaware of the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:04:33 am »

The Audible SDK lacks the capability.

ocenter

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:30:36 pm »

So why do you guys still purport to have support for audible and even have it as a service if I have to download some other software to use (authorize) it? And maybe a post in the forum indicating that in MC12 you will be able play the files but you will not be able to authorize from MC12 now. Thanks for the heads up >:(

justin@fathoms.org

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:01:15 pm »

ok so i'm really frustrated with this too.... i posted the following message about 10 days ago and haven't seen any responses to it....does anyone have any ideas?

i have authorized my audible account thorugh itunes...but still no joy playing the files in MC12 (error -42).

i bought MC in the first place because it was the only solution i've found that provides support for all of the following:  ipod, podcasts, tivo, and audible.  i've been happy with it thus far and hope to continue....

what have i not done???

here's my previous post:

I just purchased a new computer (AMD Turion 64 X2) running windows vista. (HP pavilion)

MC12 was working fine on previous computer with .aa files.

on new computer:
installed mc12.   pointed it to my music collection....then installed the latest update (12.0.233)
works fine with all music.

then

ran into a problem playing audible files (.aa) 

was getting: "audible error -42"  "Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location"

(it does)

realized i had not authorized this computer for audible.com.  had audible reset my account.  (since MC did NOT present the authorization dialog) installed audible download manager.  imported the files into windows media player (since MC was NOT presenting me with the authorization dialog (username and password))  went to windows media player, attempted to play a .aa file.  it then presented me the authorization dialog.  typed in my audible.com username and password.  it accepted it.  then successfully played several .aa files in windows media player.

then went back to MC12, and tried to play a .aa file.  no joy. same error.

then removed and reimported all the .aa files (thinking the library was pointing to the wrong place??).  no joy

restarted etc...

questions:
1) why is MC12 not presenting the authorization dialog for audible?  seems like it had done this on previous computers

2) Why are my .aa files still not playing in MC12 when the computer is clearly authorized.

3) what is "audible error -42"   i assumed this was the authorization error? 

4) is there a missing component, or some other reason why MC is not talking with audible etc....i'm at a loss

any ideas out there?

thanks...

SwellGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 03:40:48 pm »

We're looking into it.

SwellGuy

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:25:25 am »

This will be fixed in the next build.

justin@fathoms.org

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 10:17:37 am »

thanks.

looking forward to it!

justin@fathoms.org

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:36:35 am »

just downloaded and installed build 12.0.251

fixed everything.....well it fixed the not playing back part of it....my computer was already authorized so no dialog...

you guys are awesome!  thanks again.

been using mc since v10....and run into a few problems.....but so far everyone of them has been addressed....one of the reasons i love this product....just have to be patient...but everything always seems to evolve in time.

thanks for the support!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 05:59:37 pm »

Thanks for letting us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up