INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not able to associate MC12 with .mp3 files in Vista  (Read 1696 times)

wotan

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Not able to associate MC12 with .mp3 files in Vista
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:07:53 am »

Hey guys -- Just purchased the newest build of MC12.  I have checked and unchecked the mp3 box about a hundred times, and I still can't open mp3s from explorer in MC.  I also have tried to use "Open With..." and chose MC12 but when I double click a file, media center opens -- hourglasses for 10-15 seconds -- and then never plays anything.  If I browse inside of MC then it works just fine.  I've also tried reinstalling and using the previous version -- no dice.

Any ideas?

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: Not able to associate MC12 with .mp3 files in Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:15:49 am »

Do you see the files in the library? Or don't them show up at all. If...
Yes: If you click on them in the library, do they pop into playing now, and do the spectrum meter start to pump in the "display" on top?
No: What happens if you try to drag and drop into playing now? May you then play them?

Terminology explaination:
When i refer to library, i mean clicking on audio/images/video tabs in MC12, viewing whats loaded into MC library.
When i say explorer, i mean the Microsoft file explorer you get, when pressing "windows key" + e at the same time.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

wotan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:41:55 am »

Playing from inside of the library works great!  Dragging and Dropping gives me the option to "play" or "cancel" -- and the "play" command locks up the player.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:08:52 am »

This also works:
Push "start" - then "default programs" - and choose "Associate a filetype or protocol with a program". find .mp3 in the list and change it to Media Center. do the same for all other filetypes you would like to use with MC.

Vista associates filetypes regardless of your settings in MC12. I guess its a bug?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 04:27:52 pm »

I haven't seen this on Vista.

What happens if you navigate to the same file inside MC > Drives & Devices > My Computer

I'm trying to figure out if it's a bad file confusing us, or if it's a drag-n-drop issue.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 05:53:58 pm »

Im running 12.0.179 on Vista X64

And MC is not able to take control over fileassociations in explorer(If in conflict with WMP). Everything works like it should browsing folders from within MC. And I can manually change those settings like I described in my previous post, but not from MC or WMP.

wotan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »

I haven't seen this on Vista.

What happens if you navigate to the same file inside MC > Drives & Devices > My Computer

I'm trying to figure out if it's a bad file confusing us, or if it's a drag-n-drop issue.

Thanks.

Navigating to ANY file within MC works just fine.... double-clicking any file in explorer (or anywhere else).... even if associated causes a freeze/nothing.

cool_y2kca

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »

Running Media Center 12 in compatibility with Windows XP solved all the problems i had. It did for this one too. ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 06:20:29 pm »

It's possible Vista's UAC will make it impossible for MC to change file associations.

You can run MC as administrator to make system changes like that.

We should probably add a warning to the options page explaining this when UAC is enabled.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up