INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encountering playback errors - fixing invalid APLs  (Read 1104 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Encountering playback errors - fixing invalid APLs
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:56:32 am »

Continuing the saga of library reorganization:

Building expressions is very powerful! I was able to totally revamp my media storage structure with a couple of well-built commands--over 25,000 files! Only about 60 orphan files that had various problems....

However, I frequently get the following error on playback:

"Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location"

Invariably, these are APL files. Doing some checking shows that the APL exists in the correct location. The master APE file resides in the same directory as the APL.

My guess as to what's happening is that in the move/rename process, some of my master APE files got renamed, killing the link to the APL. Now, I like my new APE names better, so here comes the questions:

1) Is there a way to 'test' the link files to see which ones have problems and which ones are okay?

2) Is there a way to batch-edit the link files to fix them? (Text editor?)

And an RFEs...

A) Based on my past few days experiences, I know I'd love a way (log file, big dialog box, etc.) to see what library changes were actually made. For example, applying my rename expressions to 20,000 library entries meant that only 176 files had changes. However, there's really no way to find out which files changed--is there?

Thanks!
brad

gappie

Re: Encountering playback errors - fixing invalid APLs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:07:11 pm »

hum, i also get this message frequently. also on ape files. but i dont have apl. restarting mc always solves it. i actually wanted to look if it was an hardware problem first.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:44:45 pm »

I've never seen this on local APE files.  A missing network drive or NTFS permissions could cause it.

Also, if it is a bad APL, it'll be 100% reproducable.  The front of an APL is a simple text file, so could be edited by hand.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:27 pm »

im running the ape files local. it happens when i want to play a file that is not in playing now at that moment. i tick play and i get the message, whatever ape file i try from then wont play including the once that were playing before, until i restart mc, and than everything works fine. ill run xp pro as admin. guess there are no permision problems. but i will copy some files as a test to an other drive and also try to open some other files when it happens again. are there other things i should look at when it happens again?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:28:16 am »

I've never seen this on local APE files.  A missing network drive or NTFS permissions could cause it.

Also, if it is a bad APL, it'll be 100% reproduceable.  The front of an APL is a simple text file, so could be edited by hand.
Yep... Hit the NTFS permission problem and the read-only problem (a very few of my files had the wrong permissions, and a couple were read-only).

The majority were as I suspected--the master APE had been renamed, so the APL didn't know where to search. A couple of hours of work with a multi-file search & replace utility sorted out all of the ones I could think of.

Now to see if the Monkey's Audio front-end can verify all of the APLs in the library....

Apropos of nothing else, I did figure out that the MC log can keep track of what files are being renamed. It would still be nice to expose that a little more in the UI--like is done with importing.

Best,
brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up