Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

POLL: What's the impact of Intel's Viiv?

(1/4) > >>

JimH:
At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) a year ago, Intel announced thier grand plan for distribution and playback of media.  It was called Viiv (rhymes with five).  Tom Cruise helped out.

Are you aware of it?  Have you used it?

KingSparta:
never heard of it, never seen it on TV

it sounds to me that the Viiv was built more for Windows Vista

--- Quote ---PCs based on Intel® Viiv™ technology are built with Intel's high performance dual-core processors, chipsets, networking silicon, and special software.

Intel® Viiv™ Software version 1.5 supports Microsoft* Windows* XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2.

Intel® Viiv™ Software version 1.6 supports Microsoft Windows Vista* Home Premium and Windows Vista* Ultimate (32-bit).
--- End quote ---
Maybe it is too soon?

http://www.intel.com/personal/our-technology/viiv/index.htm?cid=cim:ggl|dig_hom_viiv|k426F|s

jmone:
Yawn....the only time it has impacted me is on a Vista PC Build as I get a "Unknown Device" that needs a driver from Viiv to support an Instant On feature in the BIOS.  The "fix" from Intel is to turn it off in BIOS (I just ignore it).

benn600:
I remember watching the CES show (from dl.tv's feed) and thinking how it could be revolutionary.  Lol.  Now that you mention it, I haven't really ever seen or used it at all.  I vividly remember watching all those keynotes and now looking back...lol.

datdude:
It looks like it is just a way for Intel to try and make money other than from chips.  I don't think viiv actually has any technology or services that can't be found elsewhere, but I could be wrong as I haven't looked it over much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version