Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

POLL: What's the impact of Intel's Viiv?

<< < (4/4)

acheslow:
Disclaimer: I work for Intel, not in the Digital Home Group but with that group. There are actually a number of features in Viiv PCs that aren't very well explained or marketed but which I think are a lot more valuable than the freeware that AMD bundles in AMD Live. The most useful to me is that I can stream content from my Viiv PC to a Viiv DMA (like a DirecTV STB) and it 'just works' -- the two are verified to automatically find and configure themselves, and the Viiv PC transparently transcodes files that the DMA wouldn't otherwise be able to play if it were connected to a non-Viiv PC. Both can also access online media that is not available when connected to a non-Viiv PC. Intel has also invested a lot to try to free people from restrictive DRMs by building transcryption, for instance between WM-DRM and DTCP-IP. I think many people confuse Intel's work in this area and think that Intel is enforcing DRM where it doesn't exist, but in fact Intel is really just trying to provide open standards-based options where DRM already exists and can't be avoided. Then there are lots of performance enhancements around networking, power management, etc, but these are even more transparent to most consumers. I think the main thing that is lacking in Viiv is the marketing behind it, because Intel is focusing more on the top-level Core 2 Duo brand for now.

mlefebvre:
So that's what I got when I bought my HP computer with Viiv? Didn't know that....

(Goes to show how important it was for me when I bought the machine LOL!)

Michel.

JimH:

--- Quote from: acheslow on March 28, 2007, 12:54:19 am ---Disclaimer: I work for Intel, not in the Digital Home Group but with that group. There are actually a number of features in Viiv PCs that aren't very well explained or marketed but which I think are a lot more valuable than the freeware that AMD bundles in AMD Live. The most useful to me is that I can stream content from my Viiv PC to a Viiv DMA (like a DirecTV STB) and it 'just works' -- the two are verified to automatically find and configure themselves, and the Viiv PC transparently transcodes files that the DMA wouldn't otherwise be able to play if it were connected to a non-Viiv PC. Both can also access online media that is not available when connected to a non-Viiv PC. Intel has also invested a lot to try to free people from restrictive DRMs by building transcryption, for instance between WM-DRM and DTCP-IP. I think many people confuse Intel's work in this area and think that Intel is enforcing DRM where it doesn't exist, but in fact Intel is really just trying to provide open standards-based options where DRM already exists and can't be avoided. Then there are lots of performance enhancements around networking, power management, etc, but these are even more transparent to most consumers.

--- End quote ---
Thanks very much for posting.

--- Quote ---
I think the main thing that is lacking in Viiv is the marketing behind it, because Intel is focusing more on the top-level Core 2 Duo brand for now.

--- End quote ---
I completely agree.  If they would just explain it, as you have, to consumers, it would have a chance.

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version