INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Speakers  (Read 4263 times)

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Travel Speakers
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:53:31 am »

When I travel, I take my music collection with me on my laptop. But, the laptop speakers really stink. I often travel on motorcycle, so I don't have enough room to bring my Klipsch computer speakers with me.

What's a good solution? Are there any lightweight small speakers with great sound? (Headphones aren't an option - the music is for my wife and I).

j

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re: Travel Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:56:09 pm »

I had this question last year for the same reason. I was pretty pleased with the Creative, although it probably depends on your definition of 'great sound'. I guess things may have moved on a bit since then. I think its a fairly obvious trade off between sound quality/volume, size/weight, and price. Good luck. Ill be interested to hear what you end up with.

johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:34:36 pm »

The creative ones are pretty good from everything I've heard about them.

I think the higher end manufacturers also make portable ones but a higher cost.
Without specifying a budget its a 'how long is some string' type qu :)

The other option of course is just two sets of headphones and a headphone splitter - you and your wife sorted and you wont have to listen to her nagging you - free bonus lol.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:34:11 pm »

I have three Creative Travelsound speakers.  The first version stopped working correctly and I'm not willing to open it up and fix it...mainly because I'm having lots of difficulty.  The cable connection isn't solid enough...moving the cable around sometimes makes them work.

So I got two new sets.  The newer ones are much better.  The black ones with a base and front buttons are very nice.  They tilt and have nice buttons on the front with light indicators.  The sound from all three sets is very similar.  I'm still interested in more than micro speakers.  I'd like to buy a little boombox type setup that I would be able to "blast" at times.  These tiny speakers are barely enough for a small room.  although we did listen to my laptop in the theater during our last production (while we worked) and they sounded okay in the large area.

Anyone know of a good set of $100 of medium sized, portable, all-in-one speakers with good volume and inclusion of bass?

johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:27:35 pm »

So what'd you end up getting?

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 06:10:04 pm »

Myself, I'm tempted to get a pair of low-end powered studio monitors, for portable situations where 'blasting" is required.  For example, the KRK RP5's will come in under $300 for 75-watts per side, 5-inch woofers.  Anywhere you can string a power cord, you can be thumpin'.   

Of course, the only problem with low-end powered studio monitors is that they're sold alongside amazingly cool $2,000, $3,000 and $4,000 studio monitors.  For those with hardware lust (and a lot of cash), sticking with the $300 option gets tougher.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 06:50:38 pm »

So what'd you end up getting?

Nothing yet... it's still too cold up here for a long motorcycle trip. The studio monitors (KRK RP5) are WAY too big for a bike.
I'll probably just get the tiniest speakers I can find, and live with mediocre sound. Space is really tight, considering we have to bring two laptops as well as the speakers, and other little necessities like changes of clothes and toothbrushes.

j

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:55:17 pm »

Gateley--

Sorry to bust your chops with the RP5's.  i agree with johnny--headphones and splitter or separate headphones for each laptop.  Personally, I don't see much difference in sound quality between dinky computer speakers and the little squeaky speakers on my laptop.  I actually listen to the laptop speakers occassionally, mostly streaming trance/electro through MC's great caching streamer.  For audio fidelity, nothing beats (IMO) the Etymotic 4p earbuds.

Going OT here, have you tried an EV-DO card through sprint or Verizon?  If you're on the road, it is the (only) way to go for mobile web access.  Anywhere you get a cell signal you have internet.  Snarfing WI-FI is unreliable--not that I've ever tried it.  Besides, more and more people are locking up their WI-FI. We really are living in a selfish age.

Do you have a built-in XM or Sirius rig on your scooter?  I would say that's worth looking at, particularly with a bluetooth headset fitted to your helmet.  But I suppose the two of you already have the walkie-talkie headsets.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 01:10:06 pm »

Nothing yet... it's still too cold up here for a long motorcycle trip. The studio monitors (KRK RP5) are WAY too big for a bike.
I'll probably just get the tiniest speakers I can find, and live with mediocre sound. Space is really tight, considering we have to bring two laptops as well as the speakers, and other little necessities like changes of clothes and toothbrushes.

j

John,

Are the 2 PC's only used for music or do you have to have them on the trips anyway?

We use iPods with headphones for motorcycle trips.  Also, with the iPod, there are many small speakers made for it. (I'm not trying to sell you on iPods, just telling what I do).

What kind of motorcycle do you have?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:22:46 am »

The 2 computers are for working, we need them anyways.

The bike is an 01 triumph tiger - a really nice all around bike. I'm going to order two side cases today...

j

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:15:03 pm »

The 2 computers are for working, we need them anyways.

The bike is an 01 triumph tiger - a really nice all around bike. I'm going to order two side cases today...

j

Nice bike.  I have a BMW R1200RT.

The good news is I do not have to take PC's with me for work when I ride.  ;D

The bad news is I cannot get off work long enough for anything but a day ride. :(

Good luck on finding your speakers...

Randy

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:11:04 am »

Nice bike yourself... Any experience with renting BMWs? We rented a harley last trip, and it just didn't satisfy. I was suprised at how well built the bike was, but the riding position wasn't what we like. The BMWs are much better in that.

j

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:19:44 am »

Nice bike yourself... Any experience with renting BMWs? We rented a harley last trip, and it just didn't satisfy. I was suprised at how well built the bike was, but the riding position wasn't what we like. The BMWs are much better in that.

j

Before this bike I had another BMW and a Harley.  I liked the Harley, but almost never rode it.  The BMW was just a better ride - at least for me.  So I got rid of the pair and now have the R1200RT.

Sorry, I have no first hand experience renting bikes.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:05:53 am »

I'm looking at 3:

Tritton Technologies Sound Bite (small, cheap, best balanced sound)

Altec Lansing XT1 (big, expensive, best base)

Create TravelSound Notebook 500 (medium, almost expensive, best treble)

Anyone own any of these?

j

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 08:46:50 am »

I have the JBL Ontour. Price is very reasonable, very compact, sound is bright and transparent, bass is astounding for the size. Battery or adapter power. Volume control. Definitely worth a look.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 09:18:59 am »

They look nice. The Sound Bite has no external power, the other two I mentioned are USB powered, and the JBL is battery/external. I'm guessing that externally (either USB or battery/adapter) is the way to go...

j

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 12:55:01 pm »

Do you really, really need speakers or would a nice set of bluetooth headphones do the trick for you??

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 11:41:40 pm »

I'm looking at 3:

Tritton Technologies Sound Bite (small, cheap, best balanced sound)

Altec Lansing XT1 (big, expensive, best base)

Create TravelSound Notebook 500 (medium, almost expensive, best treble)

Anyone own any of these?

j

I suggest the Altec Lansing XT1.  I don't own this one, but used to have another model and the sound was very good for portable speakers.  I did some reading up on the 3 you listed.  I would bet that this one will have the best sound and will be one you want to keep.  Usually you have to have a subwoffer to get decent sound.  This one appears to be designed so you don't need one.  It also comes with a nice travel case.

The TravelSound unit is designed for an add on subwoofer.  This is a little much for motorcycle travel.    I'm sure you can get by without one, but you won't get the base sound. Also, the TravelSound unit is designed to clip on the PC.  A bit strange for me.  I guess that is OK if you are listening to music while you are on the PC, but that is not your purpose.  You want to use the PC to play music for both you and your wife.  Otherwise you could use earphones.

My guess is that you would be happy with the Tritton Technologies Sound Bite.  After your next trip these may end up in the closet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up