INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.203  (Read 4204 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 12.0.203
« on: April 02, 2007, 03:07:03 pm »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120203.exe

12.0.203 (04/02/07)

1. NEW: USB-UUIRT remote control plugin is included with the build.
2. Fixed: Seeking back in an MP3 stream after 100+ MB of data could cause playback to stall.
3. Changed: MP3 streaming nicely deals with seek requests that fall outside the rolling time-shifting buffer. (i.e. seeking back 2 hours when the window is only 1 hour long)
4. Fixed: Options > Tree & View > Build Missing Thumbnails... while connected to Library Server could cause a crash.
5. Fixed: Generic AW 'X' honored.

12.0.202 (03/30/07)

1. NEW: Reworked how internet streams are buffered so that even after many hours, you'll still be able to seek back inside the cached window. (uses a rolling cache so there's always the last hour or so)
2. Fixed: Internet streams wouldn't nicely stop when the server stopped sending data.
3. Fixed: Playback of internet streams could error out after extended playback.
4. Fixed: Some PLS playlists were not being properly parsed from servers.
5. Fixed: Media Center would not play rtsp:// links unless they were manually converted to http://.
6. Changed: Improved analysis speed of mms:// streams.
7. Changed: "Avoid WMV Acceleration" checkbox is changed to "Use WMV Acceleration if available" on DirectShow Playback Settings window. The default is checked.
8. Fixed: Smartlist Editor - dates entered with a '-' separater weren't recognized as dates.
9. Fixed: When right-clicking to edit a Smartlist the view did not change to the Smartlist being edited.
10. Changed: DVB-T channel names are no longer tagged with numbers.
11. Changed: Asf and wmv streams are sent to play in DirectShow (if configured to do so) directly without testing.
12. Fixed: Library Server would build thumbnails over and over for some files.
13. Fixed: 3D visualizations could crash.
14. Fixed: Showing Theater View on Vista could result in Theater View not showing until the mouse moved. (Vista bug)
15. Fixed: The mouse cursor could show incorrect sizing arrows in Theater View.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Media Center 12.0.203
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:10:46 pm »

12.0.201 (03/29/07)

1. Fixed: Creating a field with the SDK would ignore the strDisplayName and the bSaveInTag parameters if the field already existed.
2. Changed: Playlist parser no longer reject MPL playlist that are greater than several MB in size.
3. Optimized: Many improvements to greatly improve the speed of parsing huge MPL playlists.
4. Changed: Date format used in TV recording file names now obeys user's locale setting.
5. Changed: More logging and error handling in TV.
6. Fixed: Some files would not properly thumbnail using Library Server.
7. NEW: Reworked how thumbnails are transmitted using Library Server so that the server builds (if necessary) and sends thumbnails in a binary package -- resulting in much faster thumbnailing for clients.
8. Fixed: Smartlist Editor - empty ratings (and similar fields) weren't working.
9. Fixed: Smartlist Editor - string 'contains' searches breaking strings with spaces.
10. Fixed: Smartlist Editor - searches on paths are being done differently.
11. Fixed: Smartlist Editor - path fields like 'Filename (Path)' were not getting written correctly to the 'Notes'.
12. Fixed: Picking "?" in the Rating pane wouldn't work properly.
13. Changed: APE file tagging stores rating as "Preference" by default.
14. Changed: Added 'Edit Smartlist' to Smartlist context menu.

12.0.200 (03/28/07)

1. NEW: When editing a field (tag window, in-place, etc.) you can enter expressions to do advanced manipulations.  Start the text with an equal sign to use.  For example, you could edit comment to "=[Name] by [Artist]"
2. Changed: DVD audio decoder selection is now zone-specific.
3. Changed: The default data burning mode is "No Conversion" instead of "Convert to MP3".
4. Changed: Installing with /Silent will automatically attempt to close a running copy of Media Center.
5. Changed: Updated language files.
6. NEW: Added new expression functions RemoveLeft(...) and RemoveRight(...) to trim junk off a string. (i.e. RemoveRight(Abba abc, 4) will give Abba)
7. Changed: Visualization plugins could advance to the next track before the player display advanced to the next track.
8. Fixed: A few seconds before the end of a track, the status area at the top of the player could blink.
9. Fixed: TV Options window, when started from Tools -> Options -> Playback -> TV Settings..., was modeless.
10. Changed: Added some logging to CreateFieldSimple.
11. Changed: When the program checks for updates (configurable in Options > Startup), it no longer shows a popup status message or prompts about Vista UAC. (unless there _is_ an update, then Vista UAC will fire)
12. NEW: Added expression function Counter() to return a counter that starts at one and increments with each use. (resets after 5 seconds of inactivity)
13. NEW: For Web Media, added header & menu to Web Favorites, adjusted columns.
14. NEW: Reworked how thumbnails are stored so that multiple clients sharing the same library (and Library Server) stay nicely in sync with each other. (sorry, but thumbnails will need to be rebuilt)
15. Fixed: Some "Don't show this message again" checkboxes were not working properly.
16. NEW: (Web Media) Added header & menu to Web Favorites, adjusted columns.
17. NEW: Continuous mode (now repeat mode) has 3 states - off, playing now and current.
18. Changed: Skin submenu moved to View menu.
19. Fixed: Smartlist Editor units were being ignored for 'Limit time to' modifiers.
20. NEW: Added import/export functionality to Smartlist Editor.
21. NEW: Added option to save smartlist description to 'Notes'.
22. Fixed: Expand to full albums wasn't working in Smartlist Editor.
23. Fixed: The Smartlist Editor was still dropping multiple values ("4,5" would become "4").
24. Changed: Plyalist names are now sorting in the drop list in Smartlist Editor.
25. Changed: <empty> is no longer the default selection for new rules.
26. Changed: Some rudimentary filtering has been added to Smartlist Editor - this will be improved shortly.

12.0.199 (03/27/07)

1. Fixed: TV sometimes got stuck with "Waiting" message in "Current file" window.
2. Fixed: TV channel info was not updated in "Current file" window when user changed channel by using right-click menu.
3. NEW: Installer supports /Silent and /NoAssociations command line parameters. (useful for scripting installs)
4. Changed: Better error message when user inserts a blank DVD for an audio burn rather than the required blank CD.
5. NEW: Context menus added for Featured Web Media websites (accessed from the title).
6. Fixed (hopefully): Stopping recording HD channel in DVB-T TV resulted in loss of sound.
7. Changed: TV Pause function ignores repeated Pause/Resume request until previous request has been handled.
8. Changed: TV playback will now jump to fullscreen if the jump on play mode is set to "Fullscreen (if has display)".
9. Changed: Digital TV audio decoder selection is now zone-specific.
10. Changed: When starting TV Options by clicking the "Options" button on TV view without first playing a channel, the Options window is slaved to the current playback zone (to prevent the window from becoming modeless).
11. Changed: Web Media main page added to Images and Video, context menu added to main page.
12. Optimized: Several changes that make Theater View load faster.
13. Fixed: In Theater View, exiting a view with the focus on a control that got hidden could result in the focus getting stranded.
14. Changed: Make public is the default for PixO1 galleries.
15. Fixed: Smartlist Editor was not working in other languages.
16. Fixed: Smartlist Editor wasn't handling rules that contained playlists/Smartlist in a usable manner.
17. Fixed: Edit box cells in Smartlist Editor didn't have the correct colors for all skins.
18. Fixed: True/False values getting flipped in Smartlist Editor.
19. Changed: Smartlist Editor saves and restores last dialog size and position.
20. Fixed: The Smartlist Editor could drop multiple values ("4,5" would become "4").
21. Fixed: In some cases, JRThumb.exe could report a crash when thumbnailing files that had bad filters.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:32:55 pm »

The "Set 'Notes' to description of Smartlist" checkbox (under Smartlist Editor) does not initialize properly and displays the last selected value (even if you Cancel).  So, you can bring up another Smartlist and the box is checked and the Notes are really not set.  Pressing Ok will set the Notes (even though you never really turned on the 'Notes' checkbox).  It does work, but it's just not  initially displaying checked or unchecked correctly (and uses whatever the last state the screen had displayed for the checkbox).

Also, on the Import/Export screen for Smartlist editor, the Smartrules data area is big (the input box), but the text in the box never wraps.  So, why is the box for the data so big?

Also, on the Import/Export screen, the tab order of the controls is not right (the data area is out of order, it seems).

Also, when on the Export screen, the titlebar says "Smartlist Rules Importer" instead of "Exporter"

Also, if you cancel an Import screen, you lose the rules for the currently edited Smartlist entry.  Pressing Cancel again and doing Edit again restores the lost rules.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:49:02 pm »

14. NEW: Reworked how thumbnails are stored so that multiple clients sharing the same library (and Library Server) stay nicely in sync with each other. (sorry, but thumbnails will need to be rebuilt)

Please clarify. Do thumbnails need to be rebuilt regardless of whether or not I have a client/server configuration? If yes, please comment on the stability of this change. It is a big deal for me to rebuild thumbnails due to the size of my library. If this is likely to change again in the near future I may wait a while for things to stabilze before updating.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:26:05 pm »

12. NEW: Added expression function Counter() to return a counter that starts at one and increments with each use. (resets after 5 seconds of inactivity)

im very curious what is the idea behind this. and how it could be used.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:29:37 pm »

Please clarify. Do thumbnails need to be rebuilt regardless of whether or not I have a client/server configuration? If yes, please comment on the stability of this change. It is a big deal for me to rebuild thumbnails due to the size of my library. If this is likely to change again in the near future I may wait a while for things to stabilze before updating.

You will need to rebuild thumbnails.

We have no plans for this to happen again.

Use Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build Missing Thumbnails... to let it work in the background.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:23:14 pm »

Everyone please realize that if this fixes the issue I was having forever, then this will greatly improve my MC experience.  I had huge thumbnail building problems.  I'm surprised people complain about having to rebuild thumbnails.

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:34:54 pm »

MAtt,

I was playing to post on my x64 issues. Don't have time to rebuild now so I tuned up my system and plan to test a bit more. My thumbnails folder was about 3GB. I manually rebuilt them and all was said and done with 624mb. No more hangups since I did this ....hopefully this helps preventing the behavior from starting anew.

thanks
DC

robydago

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:59:59 pm »

Just tried to rate some photos and the New Value dialog box says "Assign selected files to this value"

Assign files to a value? Looks like a typo

benn600

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:33:46 pm »

I've got to say,

7. NEW: Reworked how thumbnails are transmitted using Library Server so that the server builds (if necessary) and sends thumbnails in a binary package -- resulting in much faster thumbnailing for clients.

AND

look amazing.  I can't wait until I get a chance to try that tomorrow when I use library server!  I'll be sure to download the latest build on my server and laptop...I've already updated my main desktop!

I'm really lookin' forward to those improvements!  I have casually been requesting them for a little while and what do you know, there they are!

Who else here finds reading the change list entertaining?  I just find it interesting and I just imagine all the hard work that went into making all those changes!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 10:59:45 pm »

im very curious what is the idea behind this. and how it could be used.

Select 10 files.

Right-click the "Name" column and pick "Rename".

Type:
=Counter(). [Name]

The 10 files will be numbered starting from one, and then use the name field.

You can use the full expression language this way, so this is just a simple sample that uses a counter.

Press Ctrl+Z to undo the change.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:19:22 pm »

Does Media Center really need an undo feature?

You know, as it often confirms changes, it would be great if it could show a few example changes, ideally showing exactly what will be done...just something to think about for the future.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Center 12.0.203 - bombs on thumbs rebuild
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 01:31:50 am »

Matt,
I just installed the 203 and started to rebuild the thumbs. MC bombed 3 times after building about 1500 thumbs each time (I have about 50,000 titles). It bombed again a second ago (with MS message/dialog - Media Center has encountered a problem and needs to shut, asking if I want to send Error Report. This time I didn't click Don't Send, just let it hang, and I could see that the thumbs were still being built.. I guess, I'll just let it finish.
Is this just me or it's a bug?
--max

You will need to rebuild thumbnails.

We have no plans for this to happen again.

Use Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build Missing Thumbnails... to let it work in the background.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 08:32:43 am »

I guess it would be annoying if you had a few hundred thousand items.  I have close to 30K.  I say let it run overnight...best yet, it can rebuild while your using it without interfering with your incredible music experience...although crashing would!  I haven't had a crash but I probably haven't gotten much past 1500.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 11:07:17 am »

Well, it finished in under 1 hour. And actually MC kept functioning and thumbnailing even with that crash dialog (I just dragged it off screen).

I guess it would be annoying if you had a few hundred thousand items.  I have close to 30K.  I say let it run overnight...best yet, it can rebuild while your using it without interfering with your incredible music experience...although crashing would!  I haven't had a crash but I probably haven't gotten much past 1500.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 11:59:22 am »

Well, it finished in under 1 hour. And actually MC kept functioning and thumbnailing even with that crash dialog (I just dragged it off screen).

I too have experienced the "crash dialogue" do you want to sent to microsoft.  If i ignore and drag to side of screen MC continues to function ok

Graham

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50:28 pm »

12.0.199 (03/27/07)

16. Fixed: Smartlist Editor wasn't handling rules that contained playlists/Smartlist in a usable manner.

Thank you for this.  :)

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »

This smartlist doesn't find any of my files with the Cover Art inside the file:
(NOTE: [] denote entry boxes, not actual [] characters)
Code: [Select]
Rules:
[Media Type] [is] [Audio]
[Image File] [is] [Inside File]
Modify Results:
[No modification]

But this one does:
Rules:
[Image File] [is not] [Folder.jpg]
Modify Results:
[No modification]

And this one:
Rules:
[Image File] [is not] [<empty>,Folder.jpg]
Modify Results:
[No modification]

ends up as follows, when I leave the edit window then return, though it does seem to work as it should:
Rules:
[Image File] [is not] []
Modify Results:
[No modification]

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 03:19:43 am »

I can't exit Theater View.

Dialog pops up to confirm exiting Theater View but it never leaves this dialog.

Edit: this happens after moving around a little bit in Theater View. If you start Thetare View and close
it right away it works.

gappie

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 03:50:26 am »

Edit: this happens after moving around a little bit in Theater View. If you start Thetare View and close
it right away it works.

had this happen also more then several times. using ctrl 1 with the confirm dialog open does help sometimes, when not i had to use ctrl alt del. trained myself to use ctrl 1 all the time for exiting tv.

edit:
an other thing i did before so i do not get the confirmation screen, is taking away the exit button from theater view options>theaterview, and made my own to totally shut mc down when pressing it.
in items to show>add custom item
name: Stop (or what ever)
type: programm
parameter: MC12.exe /Close

for exit to standard view without confirmation sceen use
parameter: mc12.exe /Mode [MegaMe]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 07:01:27 am »

it right away it works.
Try updating your video driver.  Start a new thread if you need more info.

gappie

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 08:25:36 am »

the playing now list when using tabs is not updated right. i did use locate>artist, to find everything of this artist. added something from them to playing now. clicked on a tab which shows playing now and it looks like this

bigger version: http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/plnow.png
see how the song above is not in the playing now list. could reproduce this easy also using other ways of adding an album to playing now.

Commando

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 10:11:25 pm »

MC12 hangs when trying to batch convert WAV files to MP3.  System is XP Pro, SP2, P4 3GHz 512 MB Ram.  Upgraded to V12.0.203 to see if problem persists.  It does.  I have about 2200 WAV files on system and in the library.  I wanted to convert them all to MP3 high quality VBR.  Set to save in different folder.  No consistent number of files converted before hanging.  Hanging occurs after as few as 10 files or as many as 90 are converted.  It is not related to a particular file.  Have tried turning off plugins without change.  Progress bar indicates almost to the end of conversion and then nothing.  Sorry if this has been addressed but I couldn't find a thread on topic.  Quite frustrating.  Any ideas?? Thanks.

benn600

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:29 pm »

It's crashing because it's not a "recommended" move.  Why would you want to throw all that good data out the window?  Encode it to FLAC and I betcha it'll work perfectly.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 02:45:48 am »

There's still some strangeness with the new smartlist editor. What i found are two effects:

- When giving more than one sort criterion, the second one is ignored (in my example, i tried to sort by "date (year)", and then by "random"). I had some smartlists that were working as expected in "pre-smartlist-editor"-builds, and now they don't work.
- The smartlist editor silently deletes modifiers it "doesn't like". I've tried fixing the above effect by adding a second sort modifier, which gets silently deleted when closing the editor. This is quite irritating, MC should at least tell the user it's going to delete entries.

A detailed description of my problem(s), and a wonderful workaround by marko is documented in this thread.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 05:32:39 am »

It's crashing because it's not a "recommended" move.  Why would you want to throw all that good data out the window?  Encode it to FLAC and I betcha it'll work perfectly.

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean someone else might not need to.
The Wav files may have come from else where, and MP3 maybe needed for a portable
player or such like.  MC should be able to handle it regardless.

Commando

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 10:35:16 am »

Not "recommended" by whom?  If a feature is included, it should work.  I am new to MC12 and need to convert my library.  In this case, my purpose was to convert a portion of my library and then download to an 80Gig iPod which is connected to my vehicle stereo by a Peripheral Electronics adapter, with full stereo and steering wheel control of the iPod and thousands of songs available without carrying CD's for long road trips.  Using FLAC was not an option and WAV uses too much space, so high quality MP3 encoding will provide the best quality/size compromise for my purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up