INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Best XVID ripper  (Read 1168 times)

JONCAT

OT: Best XVID ripper
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:36:18 am »

Trying to archive my music concert DVDs and curious what people who store in Xvid are using...

thanks
DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OT: Best XVID ripper
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:48:14 am »

I love AutoMKV.  It's free, works very well, and is being actively developed.  It also supports a wide variety of different compression types including:

Code: [Select]
Container Formats:
AVI
MP4
MKV
WMV

Video Codecs:
XivD
X264
WVC1

Audio Codecs:
neroAAC
LAME
OGG

I've been using it to rip all my DVDs and new media to X264 MKVs.  The quality is quite a bit better than what you can get with XviD, at similar bitrates.  But, like I said, it can easily handle XviD AVIs as well, and has profiles optimized for Set Top Players (if that's what you're after).  The other great thing is that it's being actively developed, and the guy who's writing it is great (almost as responsive as JRiver), though he's Italian and his English is a little spotty.   ;)

Another nice thing about it is that it even includes a good DVD Ripper built in (DVD Fab Decrypter Express) and it can handle episodic DVDs easily (you simply select the PGC you want to rip and check two options under Advanced Options).

The other classic option which, for XviD AVI conversions only, works about perfectly is AutoGK.  In fact, buzzqw's (the AutoMKV developer) stated goal is to build a new AutoGK that supports the new codecs and container formats, and provides more configuration options, while staying simple.  AutoGK is not being actively developed currently (mainly only showstopper bugfixes and new builds of XviD show up), but if all you want is simple XviD AVI conversion, it'll work perfectly.  It does not include a ripper and it does not handle episodic DVDs (it doesn't process the IFOs or PGCs), so you'll need to handle those tasks yourself.  AutoGK is available here: http://www.autogk.me.uk/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:25:59 am »

thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

I am new to archiving videos, and my understanding is that these are lossy formats, correct?

I have some rare concert footage that I want to archive but if I want to burn it for someone else I should obviously copy the original?

I am testing out the app now using MKV and X264.

thanks Glynor

DC

robydago

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:45:51 am »

I tried AutoMKV  and it seems very good, especially because if you load a .IFO its able to parse everything inside the .VOB, including subtitles (something mkvtoolnix doesn't seem to be able to do).

One feature missing (i think, i didn't explore all options) is no video compression: it can retain two audio tracks in their original format, it can retain two subtitle tracks (in their original format I guess) but there is no option to not compress the video.

If it had that option, it would be the perfect tool to change a .VOB container to a .MKV one with no recompression or format change of the contained data.

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:58:40 am »

I set up the drive letter and chose Check Drive; it then defaults to the IFO of a non-episodic DVD. When all is said and done I have the rip and an audio file of the DVD but no movie, just a Temp folder. My problems never end....I followed the manual for the setup using MKV x264......

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:04:39 pm »

I set up the drive letter and chose Check Drive; it then defaults to the IFO of a non-episodic DVD. When all is said and done I have the rip and an audio file of the DVD but no movie, just a Temp folder. My problems never end....I followed the manual for the setup using MKV x264......
Please use another forum for support of other applications.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up