INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MC12 User needs some questions answered.  (Read 3262 times)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
New MC12 User needs some questions answered.
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:56:29 pm »

Hi everyone... I've been using Media Center 12 for the bast couple weeks and have been loving it for the most part.  I've come up with a few questions that I haven't been able to really figure out on my own, and having the answers to them would greatly assist me in making my decision to buy MC12 or not.

1. Is there any way to get MC12 to NOT interfere with my multimedia keys?  When MC12 is focused, my media keys do not adjust system volume as they normally would.  They either do nothing [disabled] or adjust the volume in MC12.  I have never had this problem in any other program, and I would much prefer that the system wide volume was adjusted rather than the local application volume.

2. Is it possible to use partial transparency in full sized skins?  IE, would it be possible to replicate Vista's glass interface, at least to a degree? [Also, can I find some documentation on this somewhere?]

3. Is it possible to do some sort of normalization/replay gain when tracks are transcoded for use on a portable player?

4. Is it possible to copy album art [as folder.jpg] when using the MSC transfer mode?   I've gotten it working fine  with MTP, but I would really prefer using MSC instead.

5. Why do tracks get a weird number extension in MTP mode?  For example: 01 The Cause1290.mp3, 02 Every Day1291.mp3...  Not a big deal, but annoying none the less.

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New MC12 User needs some questions answered.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:45:39 pm »

Live long and prosper--and welcome to Media Center.  If you have a large library and/or are obsessed with media, this is the proper place for you.  I'll try to give what (correct) answers I can, but more knowledgable folks will certainly post within the next 24 hours.

#1.  Most likely, depending on your keyboard.  Go to "tools/options/general/advanced/media key mode" and use trial and error.  These settings allow MC to communicate with that service in every way possible, AFAIK, so your keyboard should work properly.

#2.  No.  What are you, a communist?  Maybe you're better suited for WMP.

#3  Heck yes, otherwise I'd be deaf by now.  Did you look at the options for conversion on transfer?

#5 and #6.  No se, senor.  You're the second guy to ask about this.  Remember what I said about 24 hours.  The MTP-mode issue is just being brought to jriver's attention, so please have patience. 

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:53:16 pm »

First of all...

*chuckle*

#1, try right clicking on the volume bar for MC, and set it to use system volume, rather than internal volume. This may be a satisfactory compromise for you.

C.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:25:08 pm »

Confishy--

#1.  Thank you for pointing out that I was merely joking when accusing Vulcan of being a communist (Leonard Nimoy would be appalled).  After all, MC has many happy users in the formerly communist states of Russia, Bulgaria and Minnesota. 

#2.  Good point about System vs Internal volume.  It might be something as simple as that.

#3.  What in the world does "confishy" mean?

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 11:12:22 pm »

Live long and prosper--and welcome to Media Center.  If you have a large library and/or are obsessed with media, this is the proper place for you.  I'll try to give what (correct) answers I can, but more knowledgable folks will certainly post within the next 24 hours.

#1.  Most likely, depending on your keyboard.  Go to "tools/options/general/advanced/media key mode" and use trial and error.  These settings allow MC to communicate with that service in every way possible, AFAIK, so your keyboard should work properly.

#3  Heck yes, otherwise I'd be deaf by now.  Did you look at the options for conversion on transfer?

#5 and #6.  No se, senor.  You're the second guy to ask about this.  Remember what I said about 24 hours.  The MTP-mode issue is just being brought to jriver's attention, so please have patience. 

1.  I've tried all those, as well as setting the 'use system volume'.  The fact I'm using vista and digital out might have soemthign to do with it.  I'll continue to play with it.

2. No, but I like a consistent theme throughout my system as much as possible.  Theres nothing worse than having 4 totally different styles all mixed together.

3. I've looked several times, and just looked again.  I don't see anything under the handheld area or encoder area.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 11:35:31 pm »

1.  I've tried all those, as well as setting the 'use system volume'.  The fact I'm using vista and digital out might have soemthign to do with it.  I'll continue to play with it.
For me at least (not being on Vista), my digital out ignores all volume changes made on the system (except mute), which is to be expected.

Digital is for "pure" audio playback, and should rely on your decoder/amp for decoding and post processing, including volume control. If you try analog out from your sound card, I think you will find it will be subject to volume changes made on the system.

If you are using another product that does alter the sound level coming from your digital output I will be very suprised, as nothing I've tried with mine does that. As I alluded to above, I don't think its meant to work that way.

A good question with no *good* answer. I needed a unique email name, and was in the middle of a discussion with a friend about Confucius and something "a bit fishy"... Bad? Yes. Unique? Very. :D

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 11:53:56 pm »

I can change the digital out volume through the Realtek control panel.  I tried the analog out and the situation was exactly the same.

In any case, setting MC12 to use system volume has no effect on any volumes, other than its own internal volume.  Furthermore, the moving the MC12 volume control in the vista volume mixer [the volume of each application can be set in vista] has no effect.

Seems to me this must be a Vista bug.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:10:49 am »

I can change the digital out volume through the Realtek control panel.  I tried the analog out and the situation was exactly the same.

Well colour me surprised then!  :-[

I'm out of ideas, although you may be right about it being a bug... Any other Vista users out there?

gappie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:40:08 am »

just a thought.

what output mode are you using. i had my fight with this also, on XP. i dont use digiout, but that does not matter when using my card, rme fireface.
now what i remember is that when i have the output mode (options>playback>audio) on asio, it always ignores the windows mixer (i use asio though, with internal volume). putting it on waveout or direct sound let me use the extarnal volume also.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:50:10 pm »

just a thought.

what output mode are you using. i had my fight with this also, on XP. i dont use digiout, but that does not matter when using my card, rme fireface.
now what i remember is that when i have the output mode (options>playback>audio) on asio, it always ignores the windows mixer (i use asio though, with internal volume). putting it on waveout or direct sound let me use the extarnal volume also.
I'm using direct sound.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 06:56:48 pm »

I came up with one other question.

Is there any way to prevent MC12 from looking up cd info when I insert a CD?  Its usless for me and I'd rather not see the pop up window.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 11:26:13 pm »

I came up with one other question.

Is there any way to prevent MC12 from looking up cd info when I insert a CD?  Its usless for me and I'd rather not see the pop up window.

Yes this is possible. Under Tools -> Options -> CD & DVD -> General, uncheck the "Enable online disc lookup". If you don't want to submit your data to YADB (highly unrecommended) then you can also uncheck the "Enable online disc submission". You can also select what should be done when you insert CD (Play/Rip/Do Nothing etc.) by clicking on Audio CD under AutoPlay at the same place.

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 11:29:09 pm »

3. I've looked several times, and just looked again.  I don't see anything under the handheld area or encoder area.

I am presuming that this was in regards to your original query:

3. Is it possible to do some sort of normalization/replay gain when tracks are transcoded for use on a portable player?

The option is there under Tools -> Options -> Handheld -> Device Management. Make sure that your device is connected or else you won't see these options. This is so that you can have different options for your different handheld devices.

Osho

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 05:26:17 am »

1. Is there any way to get MC12 to NOT interfere with my multimedia keys?  When MC12 is focused, my media keys do not adjust system volume as they normally would.  They either do nothing [disabled] or adjust the volume in MC12.  I have never had this problem in any other program, and I would much prefer that the system wide volume was adjusted rather than the local application volume.

This is a problem that's been driving me mad ever since installing Vista back at xmas, and I've found no way to change it.  I was under the impression that it was due to a purposeful change with Vista stopping other applications from changing the system volume, or something like that, not that I'd really know anything...  :-\

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:44:55 am »

Confishy--

#1.  Thank you for pointing out that I was merely joking when accusing Vulcan of being a communist (Leonard Nimoy would be appalled).  After all, MC has many happy users in the formerly communist states of Russia, Bulgaria and Minnesota. 

#2.  Good point about System vs Internal volume.  It might be something as simple as that.

The fine state of Minnesota is really hurt by your comment and will now take a vote to break away from the United States and establish itself as the new North American super power.

TC  ;D

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 02:11:20 pm »

I am presuming that this was in regards to your original query:

The option is there under Tools -> Options -> Handheld -> Device Management. Make sure that your device is connected or else you won't see these options. This is so that you can have different options for your different handheld devices.

Osho

That is precisely where I am looking.  I can't seem to find anything about normalization on conversion there.

This is a problem that's been driving me mad ever since installing Vista back at xmas, and I've found no way to change it.  I was under the impression that it was due to a purposeful change with Vista stopping other applications from changing the system volume, or something like that, not that I'd really know anything...  :-\
Well, clearly its a vista issue then.

Still.  It shouldn't require much effort from the devs to make 'disabled' mean that MC12 does not interfere with media keys at all.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 04:32:13 pm »

That is precisely where I am looking.  I can't seem to find anything about normalization on conversion there.
Well, clearly its a vista issue then.

Is your handheld connected to the computer and turned ON at that time? Is MC12 detecting that handheld?

Osho

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 09:59:42 pm »

Is your handheld connected to the computer and turned ON at that time? Is MC12 detecting that handheld?

Osho
Yes, I see all the settings for the handheld.  I just don't see anything about normalization.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 11:42:33 pm »

Yes, I see all the settings for the handheld.  I just don't see anything about normalization.

Goto Tools -> Options -> Handheld. Under Options, you should see Conversion. Under Conversion, you should see Encoder settings... (I am presuming that you are using MP3 encoder LAME). There you see various options for encoding. The default is VBR  Encoding with Normal Target Quality.

Read the following two links to understand more about the different target quality selections:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Encoding_Settings
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36445.0

I think the Normal target quality automatically does normalization but I am not sure (Alex B can answer that for sure :)). Or, you can use your custom LAME command line for doing replay gain analysis, normalization etc. A good documentation on Lame command line options if you decide to use the custom command line option for your need:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124
http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/lame/lame/USAGE

Osho

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 11:50:25 pm »

I'm familiar with using LAME, but I've never had any experience with using normalization with it [I had no idea it was able to do anything of the sort, honestly.]  I'm currently using a custom command line, btw.  [-V 4 --vbr-new]

Now, I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that the replay gain is only a tag, and doesn't modify the audio data.  If this is the case it doesn't help me.  Am I missing something..?  Looking at the lame docs, I don't see anything other then replaygain.

Also, what about other formats, such as OGG/WMA?  Obviously MC12 is decoding the original file to WAV and then passes that file to the encoder.  I don't think it would be difficult to implement normalization/gain of the WAV before it is passed to the encoder.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 02:30:17 am »

I'm familiar with using LAME, but I've never had any experience with using normalization with it [I had no idea it was able to do anything of the sort, honestly.]  I'm currently using a custom command line, btw.  [-V 4 --vbr-new]

Now, I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that the replay gain is only a tag, and doesn't modify the audio data.  If this is the case it doesn't help me.  Am I missing something..?  Looking at the lame docs, I don't see anything other then replaygain.

Also, what about other formats, such as OGG/WMA?  Obviously MC12 is decoding the original file to WAV and then passes that file to the encoder.  I don't think it would be difficult to implement normalization/gain of the WAV before it is passed to the encoder.

I think you need help from Alex B :). He is the resident expert on everything related to what you are talking about.

Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 03:16:03 am »

MC can apply DSP (including the Volume Levelling AKA Replay Gain) when it burns standard audio CDs. However, the conversion system does not have an option for using DSP. It would be a nice feature to have.

Some related threads:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34150.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33999.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38695.0

MC's Replay Gain and synch system should be compatible with the iPod Soundcheck, but if the portable is not an iPod it doesn't work.

The best option for the other portables and MP3 data CDs is to configure a hard disk folder as a virtual handheld and run MP3gain on the converted files before transferring the files. MP3gain can alter the playback volume directly inside the MP3 files so no playback adjustment is needed.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 11:22:32 am »

MC can apply DSP (including the Volume Levelling AKA Replay Gain) when it burns standard audio CDs. However, the conversion system does not have an option for using DSP. It would be a nice feature to have.

Yes it would!  My wife complains about / asks for this regularly with her Sansa.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up