INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer of Preferences into a new release version  (Read 1908 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Transfer of Preferences into a new release version
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:59:24 pm »

In the meanwhile I got pretty much sick of always re-entering the same preferences every time I switch to a next release version...

Guys, please be so kind to implement a simple function (if not already somewhere available, if so, I didn't know it, didn't find it and would offer my apologies :) ) with which a user can export the settings and import them into a newly installed release version...

Otherwise, the program gets better all the time, in the meantime I just love it...

Congratulations!
Martin

globetrotters1

Re: Important Request: Transfer of Preferences into a new release version
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:22:37 pm »

This request is a pretty old one I suppose...

Could you guys be so nice to comment on it... if planned or not... if not why?

It's just a pain in the butt to set all the preferences, all the display elements, the display view and so on every time we have to replace the program... or how's about the idea to tell us which section of the registry we have to export and re-import, that would be pretty easy too? :)

Thanks
Martin

globetrotters1

*** bump * bump * bump * bump * bump ****

gappie

i dont know what is the problem. everytime i install a new release it uses the preferences of the previous install, just like it should. so i guess there is something else wrong.

globetrotters1

Gappie, thanks for the answer...

I tend to uninstall the old version first to make sure that no old settings mess up my system and then I install the new version... can you tell me that leaving all the registry values (unchecking that box while uninstalling) won't hurt anything? Can the developers confirm that?

If so, then I won't need that function... I'm just a bit burnt by strange program behaviours due to re-installation problems... and I'm an old programmer myself, so I know what I'm talking about...

Not that I wanna make you believe that I would think that the MC developers are bad programmers... please get me right :)

Thanks,
Martin

gappie

well, i update the programm a few times a week and sometimes back to an older install without any problems so far. there is a small tool made by glynor that can save most (or all) of your registry entries. i use it when rebuilding a machine or when i want to get the two boots on my machine 'in sync' preferences wise.
ill think when you search for glynor and settings script on the forum, you will find it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You don't need to uninstall before updating.  Just run the install exe.

globetrotters1

JimH,

thanks, I'll do that in the future. I remember one of your several Johns telling me some time ago that it would be better to do an uninstall and reinstall sequence... so I did

But if it won't be any problem to expect, perfect... :)

Thanks,
Martin

ThoBar

• Was confishy

I also used to do a full uninstall before an upgrade, however I have had no problems since doing in-place upgrades of MC. In this respect, JR are pretty good compared to a lot of other software :)

C.

wylddryad

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

So what is the answer? Can I somehow migrate my old settings, library, playlists, into the new install?  ?

I just installed MC12 after upgrading from MC10. I did not uninstall the previous version.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: Transfer of Preferences into a new release version
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 07:43:15 pm »

I just installed MC12 after upgrading from MC10. I did not uninstall the previous version.
Ah, unfortunately that is not a new "release" version, that is a new "version" version ;). The topic of this thread is dealing with going from, say, 12.0.198 to 12.0.222, not from 10.x.y or 11.x.y to 12.x.y.

Without actually reinstalling and having a look, I'd hazard a guess and say that there are a lot of new and defunct preferences between 10 and 12, and that keeping those preferences would be a nightmare.

Once you have gone from 10 to 12 though, you'll have only had to set up your preferences the first time, after which your preferences will be maintained so long as you continue to do in-place upgrades of MC12.

There may be a way to export/import your play lists, however I cannot help you with that.

C.

modelmaker

Re: Transfer of Preferences into a new release version
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 09:40:29 pm »

There were big changes made in database management between those four releases and some resetting of preferences was required when upgrading to each new version (from v10 to v11 to v11.1 to v12). However you don't need to change anything (or very little) when installing an update within a version, just download and install, MC will take care of what needs to be uninstalled.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up