limitation (licences, etc.)
- 3 (27.3%)
No weapons at all
- 6 (54.5%)
No mind
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Weapons for all?  (Read 1227 times)

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
OT: Weapons for all?
« on: April 18, 2007, 06:56:56 am »

I'm from Austria, near Germany. I've heard from the massacre at Virginia Tech. Now I wanted to know what people think about weapons. In Austria we have a very strict law... you don't get weapons without a (special) licence.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: OT: Weapons for all?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 07:56:29 am »

Neither do you get them in the US, without a license, that too restricted per month (on hand guns).

Of course the hack to this law is to get them at a show. Stop that and another loophole opens up, rinse & repeat.

..as to banning them totally, realise that no matter what anyone thinks, the gun lobby is quite influential come voting time, elections can be lost and therefore there is no will to effect meaningful change here.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:10:37 am »

This is a very heated question here in the states and is an issue that the politicians exploit with zeal when an event like that at Tech occurs.   I have a niece who is a junior at Tech and thankfully, she was unharmed, however, I do have friends who were directly affected by the shootings.  Blacksburg, VA is only about 2 hours down the road from us here.

In our Constitution, we have the second amendment:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

IMO, it's clear and if you read the framers' thoughts and reasoning on the subject, it is very clear what they had in mind as well.  That said, there are many who interpret this amendment differently and would like go even further in restricting gun ownership by the general populace.

Where I live, here in rural north western VA, in the Shenandoah Valley, I don't know anyone around who doesn't have a gun of some kind.  It is a socially and economically diverse region with long-time residents and recent transplants from all over the US, a few from Europe.  In addition, there is a large Sportsman community of hunters and animal lovers and we have a healthy wildlife population.

We've lived here for almost 10 years and the only crime that I know of in our general area is a stolen chainsaw a few years back.  Many folks leave their doors unlocked, some homes don't even have locks and keys can always be found in cars.  I've seen police presence out there maybe three times in that whole time.

People around here "know their place".  What I mean by that is, people understand and respect each other and they respect (for the most part) the "place" we all live and have chosen to make our homes.  And likewise, if you are a member of this community, there is an expectation that the understanding and respect will be reciprocated, no matter who you are. There is an ethos amongst folks and perhaps this is why we have a peaceful, crime-free community.

IMO, the "gun thing" is just one small part of it to be understood in context when discussing the community as a whole.   Now, that said, I do believe that "city-folk" or "outsiders" who might have ill intent, who might be considering coming to our community to do wrong, give it a second thought we they realize that just about everybody out here is armed in some form or another.  So yes, I believe it is a deterrent to a certain degree.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:34:20 am »

Plenty of countries show that it is quite possible
to live without a gun at your side. 

It's simple mathematics. You remove the guns,
and the probability of this sort of thing happening is reduced.
For example, see the rest of the world with strict regulations
or no guns.

If when this chap had flipped he'd only been able to pick up
a knife, chances are the number of people he'd have
been able to take out would have been greatly reduced.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:52:03 am »

I believe this increasing number "random rampage" events is a recent phenomenon, within the last 20-30 years or so, and we've had "guns at our side" much longer than that.  IMO, guns are not the problem, there is something wrong in the society, a deeper problem.  It's not an easy issue and it's not going to be solved by taking people's guns away.

Perhaps my geographic location betrays my feelings on the subject, I live within 20 miles of where Jefferson, Monroe and Madison all lived and worked.  It is impossible to live in this region and not be influenced by the genius of Jefferson and maybe even more so, Madison, who was a significant contributor to the Federalist Papers.

openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

keefycub

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 08:58:10 am »

I believe this increasing number "random rampage" events is a recent phenomenon, within the last 20-30 years or so, and we've had "guns at our side" much longer than that.  IMO, guns are not the problem, there is something wrong in the society, a deeper problem.  It's not an easy issue and it's not going to be solved by taking people's guns away.

May I recommend Jello Biafra's spoken word album "Become The Media" which includes a good talk on this very subject and is highly insightful, and I feel correct.  The blame might very well be simply put -- lazy parenting.  Well worth the $15 or so that his record label asks for a 3 CD set.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:07:43 am »

I'm sorry, but gun control is not our specialty here.  I'm going to lock this, then delete it.

Well said, Mike Noe.  The problem is civility (or lack thereof).

Most people seem very willing to give up other people's rights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up