INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: increase buffering for files on NAS?  (Read 1850 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
increase buffering for files on NAS?
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:33:15 pm »

Hi,

I sometimes have trouble with playing files on NAS due to wireless performance issues. Particularly for DVDs ripped in full resolution. I have so many jitters and pauses that it ruins the experience of watching movies. I was wondering if it would be possible to increase buffering for all files residing on NAS?

thanks,
Osho

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: increase buffering for files on NAS?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14:14 pm »

I'll second that. I'm experiencing the same thing with hd trailers that I've downloaded and try to play over my wi-fi network.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:45:33 pm »

I believe most wireless is half duplex, this means for the ack packet to get sent back to the originator the wap has to switch from transmit to receive which takes a discrete amount of time (this may not still be the case but I think it is). Buffering may (or may not) help this.

I assume that it works fine if you don't use wireless.. Are you running at 54mbps?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 02:48:11 am »

My router is ".n draft 1", but my client pc is only "g". I have managed to minimze the jittery playback if HD a little by setting a specific channel on the router and playing with it's antenna to maximize the signal strength on the client pc.

I wonder if MC stops doing background tasks during video playback or not. Thumbnail building, checking/downloading podcasts etc. could all take up valuable bandwidth. How does MC work in this regard?

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:42:03 pm »

I replaced my g router with 802.11n draft router.. I also replaced the card in PC - but I still had issues with the connection loss. It was much better though but still every once in a while (partiularly while using microwave or cordless phone - both of which run on 2.4GHz band) - I will experience jitter/hick-ups.

thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:47:36 pm »

Some phones run at 5.8.  I don't know whether that would help.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 02:56:17 pm »

That's strange because I am able to play VIDEO_TS dvds fine on my wireless g network.  And it usually runs at less than 54 Mb because I'm too far away.  If I'm not mistaken, DVDs are running at around 8Mb/sec so you've got 48 Mb or so!  That's six times the data rate required.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:26:27 pm »

It does, quite often.  We replaced our 3-4 cordless phones at the office with 5.8GHz models, and amazingly the wireless network reliability skyrocketed.  Of course, we're using very high quality WAPs.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 10:45:17 pm »

I loved an experience I had at Radio Shack quite a few months back.  We were buying a cordless phone on the 900 MHz frequency and somehow, the guy (no idea why) was really pushing for a 2.4 GHz model and saying it was so much better.  I just told him that our 900 MHz phones work fine and our wireless network is very important.  He would not let up--oh, it won't interfere, blah blah blah!  I know huge issues that can arise.  It was a horribly confusing experience that the employee just seemed utterly confused and flustered...only to present dead silence when I finally proved him wrong.  He just would not give up.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 01:35:47 am »

Yes but no microwave runs on 5GHz!

Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 01:36:55 am »

That's strange because I am able to play VIDEO_TS dvds fine on my wireless g network.  And it usually runs at less than 54 Mb because I'm too far away.  If I'm not mistaken, DVDs are running at around 8Mb/sec so you've got 48 Mb or so!  That's six times the data rate required.

Could you please tell me what DVD filter are you using ? Maybe it has something to do with which filters I use..

Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up