INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error when tagging currently playing track  (Read 2533 times)

wackawacka

Error when tagging currently playing track
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:14:03 am »

Hi folks,

since a few versions of MC12 (unfortunately I don't know when exactly) I've had a very annoying problem that appeared in older versions:

Every time I want to apply tag changes to (or embed cover art in) a track that's currently playing, the file will not be updated. Instead I get the following error msg (name of the track scrambled):

The tagging of all other files selected is then interrupted and it leaves a file fragment named [name of the original file].mp3.XXXXXX sized 0 KB in the corresponding folder.

This behaviour hasn't always been there. MC used to wait with applying the tag changes for the currently playing song until the next song started.

I'll deeply appreciate any hints and solutions

Best regards and thanks for this excellent software that makes managing 60.000 mp3 files a piece of cake  ;D
Matt from Germany

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Error when tagging currently playing track
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:00:07 pm »

I can't reproduce this.

MC should wait for the file to finish tagging before it tags it.

Try the latest build from the top of this board if you haven't.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 05:13:18 pm »

or  embed cover art in

If I recall correctly this caused problems some time ago - possibly only when the image was pasted from the clipboard. I don't remember if a solution was found back then.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

wackawacka

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:03:46 am »

Hi,

thanks for your replies. I do have the latest build installed (233) but it has been doing it since a couple of builds before. As fas as i can remember, 185 was the last for me to work alright regarding this error.

It not only happens when I try to embed cover art but with all other tag changes as well...

Strange you can't reproduce this. Maybe there's something wrong with my system then. I'll try downgrading to 185 for the time being.

Thanks again
Matt

robydago

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 04:17:08 am »

wackawacka,
does it happen to you that you cannot move, rename, etc files using windows explorer as well 'cause it (XP) says that the file is in use\locked?

MC sometimes gives me the same error you have (if I remeber correctly) but since I get the same problem in windows explorer I guess that MC is correct in assuming that something is locking the file.

I have a free tool installed on my XP that is supposed to tell me which process is locking a file,  but sometimes it's not able to get it at all and sometimes it tells me that explorer.exe is the culprit...
still haven't found the cause of this issue

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:04:49 am »

Now I have I tried to reproduce this problem.

I tried very complex tag changes and embedding several cover art images (one by one) during file playback. MC always tagged my test files correctly and the last image file was embedded after playback was finished.

wackawacka,

What is your OS? Have you installed third party plugins? (You could post your system info from MC's Help menu.)

Are your music files on a network server or NAS? If they are on a server or NAS what is the configuration? (server OS, file system, file permissions, directory structure etc)

If you run virus or malware checkers on background could you try to disable them (as a test)?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

wackawacka

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:42:18 am »

Hi folks,

sometimes the Windows Explorer interferes with moving and renaming, that's true. When I check up on the process locking the file with a tiny tool called Unlocker (very handy) it tells me that MC is the process that locks the file. Sometimes it's both MC and Windows Explorer. Most of the times, I can't rename a folder in the explorer tree of MC when that very folder is currently displayed in an Explorer window.

So here's my system info after I downgraded to 189:

Media Center Registered 12.0.189 -- C:\Programme\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2071 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 188 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4160B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Regards,
Matt

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:04:05 am »

Do you also change the filename or location when you tag files during playback?

I haven't dared to try that.

wackawacka

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 07:26:08 am »

Do you also change the filename or location when you tag files during playback?

No, of course not. I wasn't precise enough there. I want to change the folder names from inside the Drives & Devices tree in MC AFTER the tagging process and without a track playing. But sometimes MC keeps folders locked although (theoretically) there shouldn't be any activity... Hence it wouldn't let me change the folder name.

But that has been an issue with MC since version 10 or so... The tagging error is far more annoying. Maybe it's time for a clean re-install.

Regards,
Matt

Marty3d

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:21:27 am »

Could it be that it's a looong track?
I have seen this behaviour when tagging a track, then pause for a while. Shows up more now than before since Stop require one more click :)

I asked a long time ago that this functionality should be changed so that no matter when you change track/stop playing, the track is tagged afterwards.

wackawacka

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 08:30:10 am »

Hi Marty,

this happens for all files - regardless of size and length.

Regards,
Matt

wackawacka

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 08:42:01 am »

Hi all,

unfortunately I haven't been able to solve this issue yet. Even on my newly installed XPSP2 machine with the newest 294 build.

But in the meantime I managed to get hold of an on old 157 build which doesn't produce the error but indicates in the status line that the currently playing song is still pending for update (along these lines), like it's supposed to.

If I check with the Unlocker tool (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) which process locks the file, it's always MC itself.

So my question would be what functions where fundamentally changed/newly introduced after build 157 that could cause this very annoying error. Could this be an issue with JRWorker.exe?

This is my sysinfo:
Media Center Registered 12.0.294 -- C:\Programme\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 997 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1069 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B   Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

Best regards from sunny Germany
Matt

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:20:08 am »

Any third-party plug-ins, etc running?

And did you say what filetypes?

Virus checkers can do strange things sometimes.

wackawacka

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 10:23:35 am »

Nope,

plain MC12.0.294... happens with mp3 files... didn't check with other formats, since I only use mp3.

Internet Security solution would be F-Secure 2007...
Pages: [1]   Go Up