INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook interface?  (Read 5809 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Facebook interface?
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:03:56 pm »

It seems to me that MC would be the perfect candidate for interfacing/syncing with a service like Facebook.

Ok, I know that Pix01.com is what you "prefer" (It's JRiver's, isn't it?), and I agree that syncing pictures to the net should/could be as easy as, say, syncing to a w810i or an iPod.

But I'm pretty sure that services similar to Facebook is where things are going, and that it's not a fad...

Think if you could "tag" pictures similarly to the way it's done in Facebook (with MC's superior database handling) and let MC take care of the syncing?

(Actually, that way of tagging pictures is a good idea. An idea which fits into MC perfectly...)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Facebook interface?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:06:54 pm »

It's a good idea.

We'd be glad to talk if you can get facebook to face up to the task.

We did pix01.com in part because it was difficult to get flickr, etc. to cooperate.

Thanks for posting.

raldo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:34:06 am »

I thought it was something like that...

But did you see this? -----> http://developers.facebook.com/index.php

-- or is this not what we're looking for?

johnnyboy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:29:42 pm »

Just read that and it sounds pretty promising.

I'd love to see this added - facebook's tagging is the best photo feature I've seen yet on any of these sites.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

I soley use Facebook as my picture sharing site b/c it is by far the most intuitive and innovative photo album site on the market. The tagging system is phenomenal because you can tag individual people in the photo and then later see whos in the picture by hovering over their face and click on the people in the photo to see more pictures of them.

I would love to see MC integrate facebook into the app. As far as I know and heard, this is REALLY easy to do b/c facebook has a very open API policy.

Check out this link discussing facebook's powerful photo servers:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=2406207130

And as posted before, this link provides easy reference on how to integrate facebook's photo features:

http://developers.facebook.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 03:08:24 pm »

I soley use Facebook as my picture sharing site b/c it is by far the most intuitive and innovative photo album site on the market.

I'm not a big fan of sites that require an e-mail login in order to see what they are.  I'm still waiting for a confirmation e-mail from the site.

Have you looked at pix01.com (our site)?  That's about as easy as it can get, in my opinion.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:17:14 pm »

I'm not a big fan of sites that require an e-mail login in order to see what they are.  I'm still waiting for a confirmation e-mail from the site.

Have you looked at pix01.com (our site)?  That's about as easy as it can get, in my opinion.

Facebook is getting quite huge. Practically everyone I know here
in the UK is now on it. (Far more so than MySpace et others).

The confirmation email can be annoying, but in part it's due to privacy law
in countrys like the UK now, they're protecting themselves
from getting sued.

Once you play around with it for a while, it's quite a good way
to catch up with people.

It's also incredibly user friendly.  This is fairly obvious since
I can't use it, and most my non techy friends can.

I'm on there as ChriZ. Odd that.  ;)

raldo

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:54:19 pm »

..but their search algorithm sucks even more than the result of the Champions league final. I tried to search for ChriZ and got results like "Jesus Chrizt" an so forth.

Anyways, Pix01.com is ok for its purpose. But Facebook (and linkedIn) is just something completely else. I just hooked up with some guys whom I haven't seen for years through someone I had no idea knew them.

Ok, there are major privacy issues there, Think of the potential for marketeers and bean counters?!  But in the long run, I think that Facebook will have to deal thoroughly with that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:13:40 pm »

When I said that, I hadn't looked at Facebook.  I assumed it was a photo site.  I understand now that it's more of a community site.  I'm jriver over there.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 06:33:29 pm »

I signed up a few days ago and it would seem that about twenty million of my friends have already done the same thing. Uploading a few photos now... if this face tagging idea is as good as it sounds I might leave myspace behind :)

Imagine if MC could do a similar thing from within the program. A simple range of coordinates for each photo could store people's names in a tag or something. Just thinking out loud :P

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 02:44:57 am »

This seems like a great idea! If it's possible to tag directly in MC, I would totally love this. I know alot of my friends, wich use it's image galleries would also be much more interested in MC as well.
But I can't help but thinking that facebook will loose popularity after a while. So if we only use facebooks image gallery, there would be little use the day it's down.
Uploading to them both at the same time would be sweet  :o
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

raldo

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 03:10:01 am »

One of the features i like best with Facebook, is that suddenly, pictures of you may pop up in your own profile because someone else tagged them in their profile.

I agree with Mr. Haugen, but I'm sure "sync to web" will be as popular in the future as "sync to device". There are many devices and MC probably handle them better than any other application.

johnnyboy

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:06 am »

..but their search algorithm sucks even more than the result of the Champions league final. I tried to search for ChriZ and got results like "Jesus Chrizt" an so forth.

Anyways, Pix01.com is ok for its purpose. But Facebook (and linkedIn) is just something completely else. I just hooked up with some guys whom I haven't seen for years through someone I had no idea knew them.

Ok, there are major privacy issues there, Think of the potential for marketeers and bean counters?!  But in the long run, I think that Facebook will have to deal thoroughly with that.

I just found a BUNCH of my old school friends on there who I lost touch with 10 or so years ago and had thought I'd never find a way to get hold of again - I'm meeting up with one for lunch in the next month or so - that alone makes me LOVE the site!

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 02:00:04 pm »

FYI: Facebook currently has over 22 million users and claims to have 90% of the US college market. They have been experiencing tremendous growth since they opened it up to non-college users. Definitely one of the big players in the social networking space - one of the hottest areas in the Valley right now.

They are launching a new API today and are sponsoring a developer hack-a-thon, the F8 developer event, right now. (Though I think registration is closed.) A clever idea, actually. Over 600 hundred developers have signed up. Facebook is going to get a lot of great ideas and code for free.

From an outside perspective it appears that Facebook provides access to a large user base that could be valuable for JRiver.

johnnyboy

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 01:09:57 pm »

Been reading up on this after the last post as it all sounds pretty cool.

Facebook have just introduced an interface to create your own apps that run inside their site.

Seeing as they have 20,000,000 users or something I was just thinking....

A 'playing now' interface for facebook that at a minimum showed the currently playing song, or could maybe more impressively show some details from the users MC (10 most played songs, 10 last songs played, 10 newest songs added to their DB etc).

The way Facebook works is that if one user adds the MC app to their page then it instantly tells all his friends that they have added it so they can choose to add it too (and their friends in turn would be told if they also added it etc - ultimate pyramid scheme to broadcast MC's greatness).

Another new thing that I read is its possible to re-write the facebook photo page as an app - they also claimed facebook is the 6th most viewed site as well as saying it is the most used photo site there is.

If u guys wrote a new photo page for facebook that used its tagging abilities and integrated it with MC to give a better looking photo album on the users site that could be managed locally, you'd get HUGE exposure.

We all know web integration is coming closer and closer every day for software (just look at Oracle even - their admin console is now purely web based since v10) - MC likes to be on the cutting edge and pushing the boundaries - this would be taking it to the ultimate level :)

Probably a bit far fetched ideas but just thought I'd throw them out there. It could have HUGE implications of exposure but I am aware it would also require quite a bit of work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 06:37:20 pm »

A 'playing now' interface for facebook that at a minimum showed the currently playing song, or could maybe more impressively show some details from the users MC (10 most played songs, 10 last songs played, 10 newest songs added to their DB etc).
Calling RhinoBanga....

johnnyboy

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 11:37:34 am »

I didn't mean literally as in the playing now plugin, more just as in it showed what is currently being played online.

raldo

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 06:06:20 pm »

Supposedly, last.fm is making a plugin to Facebook.

I guess this means that you should be able to display playing now info through the JRiver playing now plugin (when this is hooked up to last.fm)?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 12:57:03 pm »

If you are a LastFM user, you can already do this... what I am playing right now in MC is sent to LastFM and their app sends it to Facebook...

Mark

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 12:34:45 pm »

iPhoto now has a plugin providing seamless photo upload/tagging integration with Facebook:

http://developers.facebook.com/iphoto/

Now, I know JRiver can surely match and/or beat this outstanding integration. I also use facebook as my online photo album; nothing compares to the tagging capabilities and ease in use in finding people and friends in any photo.

Please, JRiver, don't let apple surpass you in this field, this is a huge market to tap into...

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 04:14:07 am »

I couldn't agree more!

I'm actually tagging more photos in facebook than I am in MC now :)

johnnyboy

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 05:45:39 am »

Just a little bump as facebook integration would be AWESOME.
I'm starting to use it now for my Albums as it's the easiest way to instantly share them with all my friends and family - it's instantly set who's authorised to see them which is great - no work and my friends can tag themselves in my albums - even better! :)
This is where I think all photo management systems need to be - ability to tag people like in facebook but then to also integrate this with either an existing site, or to allow the user to "host" his own album on his computer that his friends can browse and view - with broad band speeds these days this isn't that big a problem.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 10:01:32 pm »

i just wanted to expand some ideas that have been mentioned here. a facebook interface, imo, would be fantastic. besides the fact that i spend hours a day on the site (lol), it really would have some great uses.

besides the outstanding photo tagging features just think of the doors that would be opened with a good facebook interface. i could blog and read my friends blogs from mediacenter. all those 3rd party facebook applications? the possibilities are endless. the next 5 years will be an exciting time for the convergence of the digital world.

johnnyboy

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:01 pm »

Yip - desktop and web are meeting up fast.
Google is setting the standard for this integration the fastest with things like Picasa integrating into google photos online and google earth to geotag your pics.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 06:02:29 pm »

We have photo upload to facebook working.  Should be public in a week or so.  It's very cool.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 06:24:51 pm »

This is really great news.
Have you considered how you'll make this known to the hoardes of facebook users out there who have never heard of J River or MC? This is an untapped market Jim :)

I'm envisaging a feature article on the the facebook website :)

Another thing I can tick off my wish list. Can't wait to test it.

johnnyboy

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 07:49:13 pm »

We have photo upload to facebook working.  Should be public in a week or so.  It's very cool.
Talk about timing!
Just as I finally decide to give in and organise all my pictures and start using Photoshop Elements you guys go and do this! lol.

To convert me away from Elements can you elaborate slightly on the integration?

* Is it able to syncronise people tags as well as basic photo uploading and downloading?
  * Is it able to download all photos that I have been tagged in?
  * Is it able to syncronise comment tags on facebook with a field in MC?

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 10:24:21 pm »

Awesome!!! I can't wait to explore this feature!!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 12:12:22 pm »

Talk about timing!
Just as I finally decide to give in and organise all my pictures and start using Photoshop Elements you guys go and do this! lol.

To convert me away from Elements can you elaborate slightly on the integration?

* Is it able to syncronise people tags as well as basic photo uploading and downloading?
  * Is it able to download all photos that I have been tagged in?
  * Is it able to syncronise comment tags on facebook with a field in MC?

It is extremely simple right now.  You select some images.  Right click down to the facebook option.  Login, and select or create a gallery and it uploads.  It uses MC12's [CAPTION] for the image caption field. 

Note that we honor Facebook's image size request in their documentation.  (604x604.  Although I might have done 600x600.)  So the files fly up there.

I intend to look into tags but I promise nothing.  So far they confuse and frighten me.  But right now I just want to bulletproof its basic operation.  (And get rid of the login prompt if we don't need it.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 07:28:14 am »

Here's the JRiver Group on facebook, in case you'd like to join.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2007, 09:18:42 pm »

It is extremely simple right now.  You select some images.  Right click down to the facebook option.  Login, and select or create a gallery and it uploads.  It uses MC12's [CAPTION] for the image caption field. 

Note that we honor Facebook's image size request in their documentation.  (604x604.  Although I might have done 600x600.)  So the files fly up there.

I intend to look into tags but I promise nothing.  So far they confuse and frighten me.  But right now I just want to bulletproof its basic operation.  (And get rid of the login prompt if we don't need it.)

Sounds like a good plan :)

If you're feeling ambitious, there are some nifty little programs out there which allow you to tag people before upload. Check out: http://code.google.com/p/fb-photo-uploader/ (it's under GNU General Public License)

One day in the (perhaps) distant future, if MC could mimic facebook's use of "frames" for tagging people, this would be a match made in heaven and would certainly set it apart from other photo organising solutions :)

JimH: hope you got my PM!

johnnyboy

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 07:31:14 am »

Just had a look at that link - if MC integrates that - wahey ;)

Thats the biggest push I need to decide which app to use to tag my pictures - the ability for the tags to be shared and used over multiple sources.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 12:40:19 pm »

Just tried the latest MC and the facebook feature is awesome! Its simple, yet it works efficiently.

One suggestion, please expand the drop-down bar of albums on our account. It is only one line thick right now and its hard to scroll down through the albums that we want to add pictures to. 

DarkPenguin

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 02:13:47 pm »

Just tried the latest MC and the facebook feature is awesome! Its simple, yet it works efficiently.

One suggestion, please expand the drop-down bar of albums on our account. It is only one line thick right now and its hard to scroll down through the albums that we want to add pictures to. 

That should be fixed in the next build.

Pages: [1]   Go Up