INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG - Vista volume controls  (Read 1725 times)

aatreya

• World Citizen
BUG - Vista volume controls
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:28:11 am »

In Vista, with a SigmaTel internal audio chip, MC does not control the volume of the device as seen by the windows volume control even though it is set to "System Volume" mode.  I cannot find a control panel in Windows that the MC volume control can change directly.  This problem does not occur in XP.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
Re: BUG - Vista volume controls
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:05 pm »

..with creative X-mod and ultimate 32bit too

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:16:27 pm »

In volume mixer the volume slider for Media Center wings up and down as I change the volume control.  Is this what you are referring to or is it something else?

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:58:20 pm »

I'm not sure which volume mixer you're referring to, but the volume in Vista (which is what you can control if you click the volume icon in the system tray) is not controlled by the volume control in MC.  Instead, the volume in MC is completely separate regardless of whether "System volume" or "Internal volume" is selected in MC.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:16:17 am »

If you click on the volume control in the tray and select Mixer we will have our own section there.  This is what we control.  It only impacts MC.

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »

Ah - I see what you mean.  Is there any way to get MC to control the overall system volume instead?  As it stands right now, the "system volume" and "internal volume" are effectively the same.

The main reason this is bugging me is that I'd like the volume controls on my computer to always change the system volume, regardless of whether MC has the focus.  Alternatively, do you know how to keep MC from intercepting volume change commands when it has focus?

Thanks! 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17:11 pm »

Ah - I see what you mean.  Is there any way to get MC to control the overall system volume instead?  As it stands right now, the "system volume" and "internal volume" are effectively the same.

This is a new feature of Vista.  I'm not aware of any way to change it.

I don't like the extra layers either, because it's hard to know if and when the digital signal is getting attenuated (which makes the S/N ratio worse).  My pick would be to make the per-application volume selectable per-application so I can turn down my email program, but not mess with my media player.

If you're too worried about this sort of thing, MC's ASIO still works with Vista and provides a bit-perfect data path.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

aatreya

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »

Hi Matt,

Thanks a lot for the post.  My soundcard doesn't support ASIO, unfortunately.  Is there any way I could prevent MC from capturing the volume up/down commands from my media keys and allow these to pass through to the operating system?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up