INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista Sidebar Gadget  (Read 2959 times)

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
Vista Sidebar Gadget
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:03 am »

I have an idea.

How about under "Options"-->"Interface" giving an option to "Minimize to Vista Sidebar" and have this really cool and simple gadget to display media information/visualization/cover art. That would be really cool and NO other maker of media players has done that yet.

Please,  I know Vista is not great or "Wow" like MS says but it is in many ways a good improvement over XP - take aways DRM, etc that is - and it does have oodles of room for improvement. Also, if MC was available on a Linux distro well.......this point would be mute.
  ;D

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Vista Sidebar Gadget
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:33:27 am »

I'd love that. The day I use Vista that is. Probably won't do that untill the first service pack comes around though.
Why don't you make a plugin simpleuser99?  :D
Not that I don't think your able to do it; but naaah... It would be preffered if the J River group did it them self. Would be an overall more professional look and feel I think.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Berg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:11:30 am »

Great idea !!!!

Not to be an MS fanboy, but I am quite enjoying Vista. It's pretty  ;D and it has its share of improvements.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02:30 pm »

www.desktopsidebar.com

this is a nice 'vista-like' sidebar that pre-dates vista by quite a bit.

Lots of already developed plugins and skins available.....

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:01:09 pm »

For every one nice feature I find in Vista,  I seem to find at least 4 things that leave
me wondering whether I can afford a Mac.

Today I realised that Vista STILL doesn't support image rotation based on the EXIF/metadata.
It's really irritating!

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:41:02 pm »

For every one nice feature I find in Vista,  I seem to find at least 4 things that leave
me wondering whether I can afford a Mac.

Today I realised that Vista STILL doesn't support image rotation based on the EXIF/metadata.
It's really irritating!
Odd, when I plug my camera's memory card in, the import tool rotates things just fine.

I think my neighbor would trade you even up. A new Vista machine for his unloved Mac.

But, back on topic, I think a Vista sidebar thingy would be cool.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:16:43 am »

So, what's the J River crew's opinion?
Will you consider it, or is it left to one of us to make it?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

vine-au

• Junior Woodchuck
  • negative, I am a meat popsicle...
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:28:33 pm »

wouldnt affect me, I disabled the sidebar straight away, I find it an enormous memory hog, and really has no features I need... It's excessive eye candy

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 07:02:44 am »

It's excessive eye candy

Is there any such thing? ;)

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 02:38:04 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for all the interesting replies.  ;D

Well, to address some of the posts, I am not really into programming anymore so that would not be an option for me. Therefore, I think it would be great if JRiver did the gadget. This would make it work well, look great and most importantly... BEAT MICROSOFT AT THEIR OWN GAME  :P

Why? Because I have seen some of the sidebar gadgets for WMP and they are truly limited (sorry, no offense to you guys who made them). Also, I like MC and would love this option (it appears that others would also like this). Having a great gadget for Vista might even show up MS so much that MORE people would stop using their player and switch to JRiver MC.  ;) After all, MC had thumbnails and various other similar options long before WMP had them.

As far as other sidebar options, I have used desktopsidebar.com's sidebar but their plugins and program have not been updated for such a long time that I won't even bother. As for Mac/Linux, well.... There is no MC for those OS's so the point is mute.

So, JRiver, lets "stick it to the man" and do a little showing off to MS with a fancy new sidebar gadget that MS does NOT have.  ;D

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:29:08 am »

I don't use Vista. I use XP with Google sidebar. I know it's a memory hog but looks nice and I got used to it. I also thought it would be nice to have a Google gadget for MC - with the playing now info and some playback controls.

Actually, I just made a skin for Playing Now plugin which mocks a Google gadget panel. Almost like the real thing. (it's also not hard to put more info and playback controls there).
See attached image (lower right corner)
--max
http://www.brokenfile.com/playingnowside.jpg

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:12:19 am »

I took a first crack at this and will post it once an MC installation/registration problem is fixed in the next build.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 04:03:01 pm »

-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

simpleuser99

• Junior Woodchuck
  • BANZAI!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 11:47:31 pm »

CNCB, Totally Awesome!!! Great Work and I like the clear interface.

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!  :-*

This is great - especially for a first crack at it - and I love how the controls pop up when you mouse over it.

Way to beat MS at making a truly useful plug in for a media player. OMG, I guess I will never even need to use WMP 11 anymore. Well, except for the fact that I have to use it for integration with Firefox/IE.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is why I love programs like Media Center... People actually work faster than MS ever could and actually do a better job.

CNCB, I was totally amazed that your plug in even handles double-byte/Unicode. I have a request... could you set a default picture/icon when the player is closed/stopped?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 03:59:06 pm »

I'll lock this now so please use this thread on the Third Party Board for discussion:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41266.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up