INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High memory usage...  (Read 1411 times)

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
High memory usage...
« on: June 10, 2007, 02:36:23 pm »

Has any one else noticed very high memory usage with the latest verson. Mine is using 544,184k . I do not use any of the visualizations. or thumbnails or album covers.
His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: High memory usage...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 02:42:07 pm »

I just restarted media center, it started at 40,000k and now 1 minute later it is up to 41,000 and still climbing.
His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:03:56 pm »

Thumbnailing could take some memory until it's finished.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:12:58 pm »

MC for me takes 11 MB while minimized and 24 MB while maximized--at least during these quick tests.

jmlogan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:55:05 am »

terrya64 -

I posted a thread on a similar (perhaps identical) problem a few months back:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38989.0

I tried everything I could think of to solve the problem (uninstall/reinstall, clean install of the OS (W2K), different OS (XP), etc.) with no success.

Then I started tinkering with the "General Options" for MC12.  I finally got the memory-eating behavior to stop by UN-checking EVERY item under "Tools > Options > General > Advanced > Features" except "My Computer", "Split View", "Start" and "Theater View".  MC12 has been running on my server for weeks configured this way and it has been bulletproof as far as memory usage is concerned.

This configuration works for me because I don't use video playback, podcasts, portable devices, etc. (I just use MC as a whole-house audio server).  If you have more complex requirements then this approach may not solve your problem.

You may be able to identify which option/feature is related to the memory problem by enabling/disabling them one at a time - I didn't bother because it's doing what I need it to do for now.

Good luck...

Jim L.
6/11/2007

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:17:21 am »

terrya64,

Do you happen to use the FLAC decoder plugin? Scthom has just released a new version that fixes a memory leak problem: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41021.0.

I rarely play FLAC files (I have only a few for testing purposes), but just before installing the new In_FLAC version I checked the memory usage and noticed that MC12 used a bit over 500 MB of virtual memory.

I don't know if the huge memory usage was caused by the leaking FLAC plugin, but now MC seems to use about 50-60 MB on average. If I scroll through a big thumbnail view scheme that contains thousands of image files the VM usage can peak at about 100 MB.

(Edit: with the maximum thumbnail size quick scrolling can consume 180-190 MB of VM, but if I change to a details view scheme the usage returns to 50-60 MB.)

jmlogan,

I have all those advanced features enabled without any obvious memory problems.

MC12.0.251
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jmlogan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 03:40:18 pm »

jmlogan,

I have all those advanced features enabled without any obvious memory problems.

Alex B -

I understand.  I suspect hundreds or perhaps thousands of MC12 users also use these features/options without incident.  Having said that, turning all of those features off was the only way I found to stop MC12 from continually eating memory on my machine (and believe me, I tried a lot of other things)...

Jim L.
6/11/2007
Pages: [1]   Go Up