INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED (12.0.94) - iPod Sound Check / Replay Gain / "Baseline" Adjustment  (Read 2753 times)

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck

Excuse me if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find an immediate answer in a search, so here is my question:

Is there a way to adjust the "baseline" volume level of songs transferred to the iPod, when using the Sound Check feature?

In another words, I was wondering if there was an adjustment similar to the "adjustment" amount setting in the DSP Studio >> Volume Leveling, but when playing back music on the iPod with Sound Check enabled.

I really like to not have to constantly turn up/down music while listening to random tracks, but it seems the iPod drastically reduces the output volume so much that I can't turn the music up load enough on headphones and especially on my portable iPod dock.  When I first bought the Logitech portable speaker system I have (after reading great reviews), I was really disappointed at how loud it would get.  It wasn't until I accidentally had sound check turned off that I noticed the thing would get over twice as loud as I had ever heard it -- so much so it blasts out a good size room.  Enabling sound check, especially on some tracks, can reduce the volume almost (what I perceive to be) like a quarter of what it was.

Here is kinda what I would wish for (realizing I don't really know how the iPod does it's own math)... say I have a track that has a replay gain of -14dB and another one that is -4db.  Instead of the Ipod adjusting the sound down that exact amount, I would rather have a higher baseline, say of +6.  In essence, now, the iPod would play the first track at -8db and the second at +2db.  I understand this would normally probably cause clipping in some peaks, but so I've read the iPod has a limiter when using sound check.

Does anyone have any ideas (realizing that I do not want to manually update all the tracks replay gain higher)?

RESOLVED in 12.0.94 - Woo hoo!  MC now boosts the sound check values by +6db (confirmed).  I would still prefer to have an actual adjustment "setting", but this will do for me for now.  Thank you guys!

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: iPod Sound Check / Replay Gain / "Baseline" Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:22:57 pm »

Looking through some other threads, I found the "upload volume adjustment" setting, which I didn't know about.  I did some searching, but could not find a definite answer...

Would adjusting this level work on the iPod if soundcheck is enabled?

If so, that would be exactly what I need.... sound check and a boosted volume level (since sound check just makes it WAY to quiet).

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:56:22 pm »

You can adjust soundcheck volume adjust by right clicking your ipod under devices.

You can also uncap you ipod, which removes a sound limiter on the European Ipods (don't think a limit exists on US ipods): http://gopod.free-go.net/

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 06:01:55 pm »

Well, just tried setting the volume adjustment to +100% and didn't notice any difference.  Playing the iPod with sound check on is still just way to soft.

I wonder... would I have to re-sync every file for this adjustment to maybe be applied?

Kyro-DK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 12:54:29 am »

I wonder... would I have to re-sync every file for this adjustment to maybe be applied?

I'm almost 100% sure you have to.

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:27:40 am »

I'm almost 100% sure you have to.

Hum... might have to get a dummy test mp3 in there to test this then (delete from library, then add again to resync).  I don't want to have to re-sync everything a few times just to get the settings right (if it has any effect at all).

EDIT... just tried a test.  Made a duplicate of an MP3 already sync'd, renamed it a little different and changed the title in MC.  Since it still had the replay gain values in it stored in tags, didn't bother doing that.  Sync'd the iPod with the volume adjustment set to +100%.  MC transferred this new track over fine.  Tested flipping back and forth from the original file to the "freshly sync'd" version and there is no difference in volume whatsoever.  Sound check still deminishes the volume the same relative amount for either version.

Dang... I thought I might had stumbled onto a fix, but it looks like not.  I'm beginning to think the only way to get this accomplished is to have a script run through all the files and manually bump up the sound check values by some amount.  I really hate to that this route, as I know there must be an easier way.

This is just frustrating when using my portable ipod stuff.  These are all rechargeable, so they just don't have an unlimited amp (also on some headphones as well).  So I either disable sound check and always have to be adjusting the volume from song to song or I enable sound check and have to max out the volume, just to still have it way to soft.  Errrrggg.

Apple needs to add in a similiar setting we have in MC to adjust this.  Maybe I'm just too spoiled with all the options I have in MC.  :-)

EDIT #2: Actually, I found that the volume adjustment did apply to the test track.  It is just that the iPod doesn't use it when using the dock connector (only with headphones).  I looked at my iPod in iTunes to actually see that it was applied.  So, volume adjustment is out now.

Back to looking at modifying replay gain values I suppose.  Grrr.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 05:01:39 pm »

Would adjusting this level work on the iPod if soundcheck is enabled?
No.

There's a post around here somewhere with details, I'll see if I can find it.... brb

here you go, quite old, but I believe, still true...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30486.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30504.msg209957#msg209957

-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 10:08:01 am »

The next build adds a +6db boost to the Sound Check value it puts on the iPod.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 03:37:52 pm »

Woo woo woo!  That might be just what the doctor ordered.  Man, I love me some MC  ;D

Keep up the great work guys.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 11:09:36 am »

I am really wondering how that will turn out, becauwe I actually have to lower the soundcheck value with 5% otherwise my songs sound distorded when listening them on the Ipod...
Pages: [1]   Go Up