INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server MC V12  (Read 3924 times)

paga

• Recent member
Library Server MC V12
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:04:18 am »

I've just download MC12 and my first impression are very very good, I've been having problem getting my Acoustic Energy WiFi internet Radio to connect MS Media Player using UPnP, but J.R. MC works great so far no problems.  :)

Although I've just tried to connect to the Library Server from work, it connects and downloads the library but will not play, Runtime error just keeps popping up on the server. I’m running Vista Ultimate.  :(

I've searched this form but cannot find any similar problems.

Many thanks

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Library Server MC V12
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:33:01 am »

What version of MC? The client and server must be running the exact same version.

j

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:16:12 pm »

I have maybe a similar problem.  It is opposite to what the fix in build 267 was apparently for.  My server is running XP and my client is running Vista.  The Vista client never finds the local library server even though I have tried the "GetLibrary" test and it seems to succeed.  Other XP clients find the library server fine??
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:21:10 pm »

My server is running XP and my client is running Vista.  The Vista client never finds the local library server even though I have tried the "GetLibrary" test and it seems to succeed. 
I have a similar setup and similar problem.  We're looking at it now.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:28:03 pm »

cnbc - is your Vista firewall on?

j

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 05:11:22 pm »

cnbc - is your Vista firewall on?

Yes, but I specifically responded to "Unblock" MC when it first tried to search for the Library Server.  I also had to turn on "Network Discovery" in Vista before it would even try to "go out" and search.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 08:16:45 pm »

There's a UDP port that needs to be opened as well. I don't have the port number handy at home, sorry... I'll get it tomorrow.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:52 am »

This didn't seem to work for me.  I went to the Firewall exceptions and "Add Port".  I specified UDP port 5556 and it still fails to find the local library server.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:20:31 pm »

Does it work if you specify the address of the server?

j

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 01:14:43 pm »

Yes, if I specify the IP address of the server it works (however, I can't just use the computer name).  Also, I got rid of the UDP exception I added to the firewall and it still works when specifying the IP address of the server.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 01:51:08 pm »

UDP is only used for searching for servers, so it will work without that hole in the firewall.

You need to specify two holes: one for the broadcast packet, and one for the reply.

I believe both packets have source and destination port set to 5556.

j

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 02:11:03 pm »

Ok, is there any way I can use the computer name instead of the IP address?  Then there would be no need to search for a server.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

Yes - just use the name. I use
matt.jriver.com:80
as an example. Note that matt.jriver.com is a DNS name, not a windows networking name.

j

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 05:08:47 pm »

Note that matt.jriver.com is a DNS name, not a windows networking name.

Sorry, I did mean the windows networking name since I am using it locally.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 05:26:25 pm »

Sorry - Library Server is a TCP/IP protocol, not a windows networking protocol, so it doesn't recognize the windows networking name.

j

robydago

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 05:30:46 pm »

Ok, is there any way I can use the computer name instead of the IP address?  Then there would be no need to search for a server.

generally speaking, when trying to reach a server using a name instead of the "equivalent" ip address shouldn't change much: if you know either the name or the ip address of the server, no server search should take place

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 01:14:29 pm »

Hi cncb - I just checked, the vista firewall definitely has problems with the UDP packets. If you turn it off, finding the server will work. So, it's just a question of configuring the fireall properly.

j

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 02:05:43 pm »

Thanks, John.  I seem to have found the problem.  I am in the unfortunate situation of having to use dial-up and internet connection sharing with my Vista PC.  It turns out that the firewall does not allow the library server search when I'm connected to dial-up.  Sorry, I don't know why I didn't notice this before - I guess I was always online when trying to connect to the library server.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 02:13:33 pm »

There's got to be a way to configure the firewall to allow this. If you figure it out, would you post it here for others? Glad you found it...

j

paga

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 05:49:57 pm »

I don't have a problem connecting to the Media Server, it downloads the information to the client, I just cannot play music because the server just keeps getting runtime errors, I don't see these errors on the client. The client and server are the same version although the client is running on XP and the server on Vista. I'd really love to be able to play my music from the office.

Regarding the problem when using a dial-up connection, this connection alter the routing table for the network, you can use the command "route PRINT" from the cmd window. I think that the problem is IP traffic is routed over the dial-up interface, not the LAN. I'm not sure it a firewall problem.

paga

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »

I don't have a problem connecting to the Media Server, it downloads the information to the client, I just cannot play music because the server just keeps getting runtime errors, I don't see these errors on the client. The client and server are the same version although the client is running on XP and the server on Vista. I'd really love to be able to play my music from the office.
I've had a similar problem at home, and it is related to vista, may be security related.

paga

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 08:26:59 am »

This is a little off topic but is to do with the Library Server

I'm run Vista Ultimate 32bit and everything seems to be working fine, until I start running the Media Server.  At first it all looks good but at some point the Windows SYSTEM process starts using 50% well for really cause it a Dual Core of my CPU, this doesn't

I’m used Win Internals process explore to try and find out what’s going on and it appears it’s something to do with session management or something related because it’s the smss.exe process that seems to be having the problem. :(

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 08:41:30 am »

At this moment I'm not having library server issues but I used to.

If you would like to use the computer name to connect ... now this has to be on a local network.  All you have to do is setup a DNS server and one choice would be IPCop.  However, it can be confusing and difficult to configure.  So now I can access any of my computers at chenbro.*domain*.com from inside my local network.

Smoothwall 3 just came out and it may have the same functionality.  I plan on trying Smoothwall 3 in the near future because IPCop doesn't provide some of the basic functionality I really want and the new Smoothwall does.

paga

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 04:17:12 pm »

Related to the issue of the SYSTEM process consuming 50% of the CPU (Vista Ultimate)

I've stopped using Media Center explicitly the Media server for the past few days and I don't have the problem anymore, so I'm fairly sure it’s related to Media Center. This is very disappointing since I liked the product. Other than the information in my previous port I have no other information. So I guess for now I’ve got to remove Media Center.

If anybody has any ideas I appreciate some information, thanks.
 :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 04:27:46 pm »

It's probably related to Vista security.  It may be trying to block some of Library Server's network activity. 

You could try a google search for similar problems.

bugmenot

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 05:05:09 pm »

I run server on windows server 2003 & client on vista and never had problem since I set up the server! using it from maybe build 12.0.1xx
Pages: [1]   Go Up