Weak start
- 1 (3.2%)
I don't know
- 0 (0%)
I really don't care
- 10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: iPhone or not iPhone -- That is the question  (Read 1889 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
Re: iPhone or not iPhone -- That is the question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:44:50 pm »

It may not be feature complete (something which will be addressed by software updates) but what it does do it does incredibly well.  The overall UI experience really made it clear to me how irritated I was with my 8525 without even knowing it.  With the iPhone, even something as mundane as setting a timer is a pleasure and it's only going to get better and better.

The one thing I am really hoping for is for MC to work with the iPhone soon.  If there's anything that ruins the iPhone experience, it's iTunes.  What a miserable piece of software that is.
Toast goes in the toaster.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: POLL: iPhone or not iPhone -- That is the question
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 11:05:55 am »

So answer me this...how exactly are we going to deal with iTunes for the time being?  Does anyone have a good idea?  I have considered syncing my 4/5 star songs from MC to a folder and then installing iTunes in a VirtualPC window.  Then, I will import the songs into iTunes and be able to sync my music.

The problem is that I heard is nearly impossible at this point to move your iPhone to a different iTunes.  I'm thinking they're doing something strange that will mean that J River will basically have to hack through some protection scheme to be able to work with the iPhone.

But I know I'm absolutely interested in being able to sync with MC!  Everyone here with an iPhone is!  It would be neat if we had a better idea about how many people on the forum here have the iPhone.  Mine will be here in a day or so.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:53:39 pm »

The idea of to have in one device together the functions of a Mp4 and a cell phone is awesome!!.
Implemented by the guys of Apple probably will bring a good product, but with all the disgusting issues that this company usually put in their products, as it is:
. expensive prices, for the product itself and its accessories.
. lack of some features, that have to be buy separately
. lots of restrictions related with copyrights
. mean attitude concerning integration.
. average sound quality.
As an example of this is iPod nano (my cousin owns one of 4GB), that doesn't have a FM tuner, and organization of files within the device is cryptic (she manage her device only through iTunes). Similar devices (not clones, please!!) of good Chinese companies like Meizu or Teclast, give lots more for less money, and sound quality of my device (Meizu, the only one i have been able to compare) is by far better that iPod machine. Customer support is good, but not comparable with what Apple gives.
Happily above mentioned Chinese companies are working in their own iPhone version, I know that in Meizu it is called MiniOne M8.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:55:59 pm »

I got one and my cousin did.  I don't know a huge number of people with them, probably because of the price, but I must say it is simply jaw-droppingly incredible.  This is my second phone and my first phone I got January 2007.  It cost me $15/month (prepaid) + $90 for the phone.

What a jump to $600 for the phone and $60/month.

It is worth it.  I am so glad I never touched the other similar phones like the Treo, etc.  This thing is simply indescribable.  Every feature is fast and efficient, not to mention beautiful with a good feature set.  It accesses my IMAP email server exactly as I would want it to.

The browser and ipod are also incredible.  I can only look forward to the things they will add and the 3rd party apps (web sites) that will be created.  I've even created a few sites just for accessing my home content and services...like our security cameras, etc.

It should really teach all the other phone manufacturers to rethink how good they can make things.  This phone is so far ahead of what I was expecting.  I really don't have a single issue with the phone standalone right now--no joke.  That is hardly ever the case!  Granted I understand it's a phone and don't expect loads of advanced features, the advanced features it does have are very useful and provide just the right balance of features with simplicity and overall impression.

This is some of the best money I have ever spent.  I have no regrets...compared to some other very expensive devices I've bought in the past.  Also, when you consider it has essentially a $250 iPod Nano -- 8GB -- built in plus another $50 for the nicer screen, you're looking at a $300 phone.

Now, I'd like to consider selling my 8GB Black Nano which has been in a Speck rubber case for 95% of its life and is essentially scratch free with probably only 20 charge cycles.  Unfortunately, for me I prefer using MC on a computer whenever possible so I didn't use it too much.  I also have a 6 GB Sansa I obviously don't need/want.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:18:21 pm »

Here's a report on a problem with an iPhone:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9816584-7.html?tag=nefd.only

My daughter had a similar problem.  She dropped hers andnowthespacekeydoesn'tworkanymore.

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 12:53:31 pm »

Here's a report on a problem with an iPhone:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9816584-7.html?tag=nefd.only

My daughter had a similar problem.  She dropped hers andnowthespacekeydoesn'tworkanymore.

And you know what is the problem here???

With iPhone dead... no cell phone, no PDA, no Internet browsing, no MP4, the same eternal problem with all-in-one devices.

I really don't want to spent around US$ 800.- in my country to get without all this functions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up