INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Server  (Read 1906 times)

CL Gilbert

Music Server
« on: August 20, 2002, 09:13:32 am »

I can't get music server to work for me at all.  I can't figure out who is blocking the ports or if someone is even blocking them.

My server is
68.42.200.36:5190

Can someone please check if they can connect to it.  Anyone got a server I can try to connect too.  This will help me determing if its comcast blocking all these ports, or my job (which is where im trying to connect from)

I have tried about 5 ports already. 65000, 65001, 113, a few others.

In any event, is their a list of peoples servers?  I'd love to share streams with a few people.  Well, its got to work first...

CL Gilbert

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Music Server
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 09:17:38 am »

you have your security on, a user needs the password, please turn that option off for now, Or Send Me The Password And I Will Check it out.

E-mail is in my profile
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

CL GIlbert

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 09:20:35 am »

OOPs.  Im at work so I can't turn it off.  But just the fact that you were able to get that far tells me it must be my job's setup stopping me.  I am never even asked for a username or password.

Can I use MJ server connect feature before I upgrade to plus??

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 09:23:25 am »

Everything works in the trial version.  If that's what you mean.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

CL GIlbert

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 09:29:21 am »

Yes, thats what I mean.  Anyone got a server I can try to connect to? I don't need the username or password, just to get that screen to appear tells me Its working enough.  I was looking forward to listening to my home music from work.  But its just not happening.

I picked port 5190 because ICQ uses it and I seem to have no trouble using icq from work.  Any ideas what the problem could be?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 09:33:28 am »

I also get the login/password that KingSparta saw.

The problem is probably with the firewall on the client side (your work).

Make sure you're using the same version of Media Jukebox on both machines.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

CL Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 09:41:10 am »

Im using 8.0.348 at work.  I just installed all of them within the last week.  and since 8.0.348 has been out since 8/14, its likely thats what I am using at home.  What version are you connecting with?

How can a firewall stop an outgoing connection?  does media server use more than one port?  Again, since ICQ works, I just assumed that the media server would work as well on that same port.  Strange.

Perhaps I should try reinstalling media jukebox at work?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 10:03:15 am »

>>What version are you connecting with?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

CL Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 10:29:33 am »

I was able to connect to the sparta server, if I got the name right.  Its on port 80.  So its got to be my job jobbing me on the alternative ports :)  Ill try to sneak in a port 21 when I get home.  My NAT does not show comcast hitting port 21 during their illegal port scans on my network.

gateley

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 10:49:32 am »

Hi CL,

Some companies (especially larger ones) firewall outgoing as well as incoming traffic. This prevents employees from hacking, and makes the company a less valuable target to outside hackers (not only do they have to hack through the firewall to get in, they have to hack back through it to use the site as a relay).

j

CL Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2002, 11:21:52 am »

I understand.  Yes they are blocking quite a bit.  But ICQ works, so I though that port would be safe to use.  but strangly it was not.  Perhaps those ports my job allows (standard ports sans email) are the ports comcast blocks.  Thats plausable.

So im going to have to figure out how to get this thing workin on some port other than the ones comcast is scanning and my job is blocking.  I need a software package that can block a connection request from a certain IP address.  Any NAT routers that can do that?  comcasts scans are from the same IP address all the time.  wish I could block the ports just to that ip address...

in any event, it does not seem to be a media server problem as much as a firewall issue.

gateley

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2002, 11:39:08 am »

Perhaps your company is running an application level firewall (aka proxy firewall) and filtering on the content as well as the address. This would allow them to detect the difference between a legitimate 5190 and a "fake" 5190.

Did you try port 80 for your server? That might be the easiest.

A firewall and/or nat will do what you say you need (though I don't understand how that's going to help) for blocking connections.

j

CL|PLS|Gilbert

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2002, 11:57:51 am »

Comcast actively scans the ports on my IP address to get a response on port 80.  If they detect one I will get a harassing letter talking about being thrown in jail and $1000 of dollar fines and all hell breaking loose, etc. etc...

So I don't bother to try 80 because I can see them scanning 80.  I am going to try port 21 though when I get home.  and when I get to work tomorrow, well see if its working and if comcast is upset about an FTP server.  They shouldnt care with their bandwidth limits and all.  I am really sick of being pushed around by these monopolies

I wanted the NAT to block IP address so I could always return a negative response on comcast's port scan, but still allow a connection from my own computer.  I think win2k server can do that, but nothing I have currently can.

I honestly thing comcast is only blocking the VPN ports and they scan for activity on the rest.

gateley

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2002, 12:19:01 pm »

Now I understand better. You just need a plain old firewall. Firewall rules specify 4 pieces of the address: the source IP, the destination IP, the source port, and the destination port. So, you could have two rules like (assume comcast is 192.168.x.x and you are 10.0.0.1)

deny 192.168.*.* port * to  10.0.0.1 port 80
accept *.*.*.* port * to 10.0.0.1 port 80

and this will do exactly what you need. (note: the syntax is completely made up).

On the other hand, you may be violating your service agreement. It'd be better to switch providers to someone more understanding.

j

CL Gilbert

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2002, 12:55:36 pm »

Hmm, I may be able to do that.  I have an SMC barricade and they added some nifty features later on by the time I has stopped playing with it.  Ill check.  Thanks for the tip.

I doubt if I am violating my TOS.  I think they say no web servers or FTP, etc.  You know they dont want me doing anything unless I upgrade to the "plus" or whatever package for about $90/month

well see what happens.

CL Gilbert

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2002, 06:09:05 am »

the telnet port is working fine

port 23.
Pages: [1]   Go Up