INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uh Oh, RealOne Player now supports WMA and DVD!  (Read 1787 times)

Galley

Uh Oh, RealOne Player now supports WMA and DVD!
« on: August 20, 2002, 08:11:44 am »

Real Networks has released their latest version of RealOne Player that not supports all media formats, and also has some improvements to what is the best interface on the market (sorry guys, but it's true).  This could put some pressure on the fine folks the make MJ to make sure version 9 kicks total butt.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=581&e=2&cid=581&u=/nm/20020820/tc_nm/tech_realnetworks_dc_2

Does this mean that I will be going back to being a RealONe user. Nope! :-)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Uh Oh, RealOne Player now supports WMA and DVD!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 09:10:38 am »

It Does Now.

As A Matter of fact, If Real One And MJ Were In The Back Streets Of Philly. Real One Would Look Like Rocky When He Was Getting His Ass Kicked.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 09:28:18 am »

I also noticed that they now offer RealOne players for Macintosh, & Unix/Linux.  ARE YOU LISTING JRiver?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 09:40:07 am »

Doc,
We are LISTING to starboard some days and to port others.  It's especially a problem late in the day. ;)

It's interesting that Real is making so much noise about features that MJ has had for a while.  MJ has done DVD and Real and Windows formats for a couple of years.  What about their support for TV cards?  Or Winamp plug-ins and skins?  Media Server?  Remote control?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

lee269

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 10:11:53 am »

Disclaimer: I havent installed RealOne because I need v8 for my player, but...

Its interesting (to me at least) that the interface is praised. Yes, it may look cool, but the thing that first attracted me to MJ was that fact that I could make it look like a windows application without the fancy skins. I guess you can tell Im primarily interested in organisational and playing features rather that looking at pretty colours. Of course its always good to check out other interfaces (like the Real graphical way to adjust crossfading).

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 11:45:10 am »

Hi Guys;

I just downloaded the RealOne Player (free version) that is supposed to have all the neat new stuff.  Guess what?  It is the same exact player that I was using before I switched to MJ8; it is still version 2 which is over a year old.  Yes it does WMA, but only after downloading a plug-in.  No change there.  So what’s the big deal?  I did not download the $9.95 a month RealOne Player Plus with free media content, nor did I download the $19.95 one time charge RealOne Player Plus.

Looks like to me that Real is just trying to get some more mileage out of a dead horse (with a little slick advertising & maybe a few tweaks here & there).  J River is constantly “tweaking” MJ8 (almost on a daily basis but they call a spade a spade).  Real has the some old horse with new blinders (emphasis on blinders in case you didn’t get it).

So again, WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?

I don’t know about you, but I am staying with MJ as it “does it all” right now without hype.

And just think, we have version 9 to look forward to.  That should put Real in the “has-been” category as far as I’m concerned.

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 02:55:11 pm »

I see it like this. RealPlayer is like a drowning man, they are going through the dying throws just before they go under the surface of the water. There was a time when they fit the need, but now internet users want more, they have enough on their plate with M$ trying to control them. The more they try to control a user with substandard bloat ware the more they will lose customers. A buisness can't survive buy trying to gain new customers without trying to keep those that they have. JRiver on the other hand is gaining new customers and doing a darn good job of keeping those that they have, It's more like the turtle and the hare and it would look like RealPlayer is running out of steam.
Robert Long

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 04:25:52 pm »

There was a time when they fit the need
When I got bored with the dancing sheep, I moved on and never went back.
That's right.
I'm cool.

Galley

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 07:39:30 pm »

There is a BUNCH of changes that were done to the interface.  Mine says version 2.0, Helix-Powered.  Beta build 6.0.11.78

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2002, 11:42:55 am »

Is Real Lying OR Are They Just Uninformed?

In a Newsfactor article today
( http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20020821/bs_nf/19099 )

James Maguire wrote:

"I think it changes the paradigm for consumers," RealNetworks vice president of programming Erik Flannigan told NewsFactor. "There has been a battle for the desktop between streaming media players, between burning applications and between DVD playback software. Now, for the first time, here's an application with one interface that can do all of that."

These features have been a standard part of Media Jukebox for more than a year.  Here's a press release from January 2001:

http://www.musicex.com/press/press26.html

Jim Hillegass
CEO, JRiver
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 01:03:14 pm »

I don't use skins or care much about the GUI, but you can put a bonnet on a pig, and it's still a pig. I won't recount my recent horror stories with RealOne, trying to load my Rio Riot, but it's enough to make me take the cure.

What puzzles me is why there isn't greater media focus on MJ and its depth of functionality. Case in point: my total ignorance, but until someone pointed it out in the last day or so, I was unaware of the refinements you can achieve using search modifiers (~d=cmt). I'd been wondering for a while how to search my archive of CDs I haven't yet ripped. The others? They ahven't even thought of it yet, let alone executed.

RJ is still wrestling with grade-school problems, but it has instant name recognition amongst the unenlightened. Reminds me of PT Barnum: "You can say anything you want about me as long as you spell my name right".  

Photo, new RealOne GUI:

HTH

Listening to: 'Remembrance' by 'Harper Brothers' on Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 01:09:23 pm »

Where is the play button?

(No caps, part of my therapy)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dave

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 03:00:01 pm »

Isn't competition great??
Pages: [1]   Go Up