INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCv10 vs v12 - importing already imported files  (Read 1118 times)

sonius

• Recent member
  • Bad Dog
MCv10 vs v12 - importing already imported files
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:12:47 am »

I have found that in MCv12, when i select a folder to be imported into MC and some files in that folder already exisit in MC , MC v12 seems to overwrite any metadata that existed against those files treating them like brand new files.

MC v10 ignored already imported files, only importing new files found.

I have now lost a large amount of metadata now in MCv12.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: MCv10 vs v12 - importing already imported files
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:27:39 am »

Restore from your backup.  You may be able to just restore from your Media Center backup if you're lucky, which is nothing.

MC makes automatic backups quite often so you're in luck.  Just restore one of the older ones.  First you might want to burn all the backup files to a CD so they are archived.  Make lots of backups.  This kind of thing can happen just as a hard drive can fail.

sonius

• Recent member
  • Bad Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:41:25 am »

I have moved files from one drive to another.

If i restore a previous backup, my library will be pointing to file  locations that are now wrong.
another file import will only lose me more metadata.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:11:06 am »

I have found that in MCv12, when i select a folder to be imported into MC and some files in that folder already exisit in MC , MC v12 seems to overwrite any metadata that existed against those files treating them like brand new files.
MC12 should not be adding files twice, if that's what you mean.  If it is what you're seeing, something else is going on.  Benn is correct that you can try restoring from a backup (done automatically in MC12).

You may need to clear your library and re-import if your current library is corrupt.

Explaining what you're seeing in more detail (without the angry attitude) might help.

I edited your posts to remove the anger but leaving the facts.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:34:26 am »

I have moved files from one drive to another.

If i restore a previous backup, my library will be pointing to file  locations that are now wrong.
another file import will only lose me more metadata.

If I'm right in what I think you've done then you should restore your library backup as Benn said and use Tools->Library Tools->Find And Replace on the filename of your files that have now moved to a different location. MC will see the files now exist, and not re-import them.

Make sure you turn auto-import OFF before doing this. Restoring a library backup can in my experience turn auto-import back on, depending how you had it set when you backed up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up