INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a file within MC  (Read 1557 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Moving a file within MC
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:58 am »

When moving a file from one location to another when that file already exists, why does MC rename that file with a (1) instead of asking if I want to overwrite that file? This just requires the user to go to that new location, delete the old file and then rename the new one.
Jeff

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Moving a file within MC
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:13:08 am »

Yeah I saw your question a couple of days ago. It appears that the "move" function has been implemented as a "copy" function. Maybe this will be addressed in a later version.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 12:05:33 am »

I'd like to give a point to that:

When I'am ripping a CD I'am doing this in a specific folder, only after I checked everything OK I'am moving the newly ripped CD to my library.
e.g. rip folder: d:/my rips/joe/joes 2. album
e.g. library: d:/my lib/joe/joes 1. album

Now I'am moving the parent folder "d:/my rips/joe" to "d:/my lib" and MC creates a copy of joe:
d:/my lib/joe/joes 1. album
d:/my lib/joe (2)/joes 2. album

This behavior is in contradiction to the windows explorer as it would move "joes 2. album" into the already existing joe directory.

Reason for moving "d:/my rips/joe" and not moving "d:/my rips/joe/joes 2. album":
My library is very huge and it takes quite a time to search where "d:/my lib/joe" is located - so the way I'am doing it is quite the fastest (would be if it wouldn't be this behavior). Also you can imagine what if I ripped a lot more of joes album ...

regards

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:34 am »

Maybe it's time to consider a different path format, like:

drive:\myrips\joe1\filename.mp3
             \joe2\filename.mp3

Maybe it's the way you move your files? (Just guessing here  :)  ) Have you tried "moving" them by using the "Rename file from tags"? (Or whatever it's called...)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:50:53 am »

Maybe it's the way you move your files? (Just guessing here  :)  ) Have you tried "moving" them by using the "Rename file from tags"? (Or whatever it's called...)
Tools/Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:54 pm »

Throwing fire on this gasoline, I would love to see the superb "Rename File from Properties" developed into a sort of "File Management Studio".  Recall poor ImJustAGamer's doomed but noble effort to get the same naming facilities into "Copy Disk File". 

Currently, you can't make a backup image of your tracks from within MC--"Copy Disk File" jumbles them into one folder where same file names (but different track versions) overwrite each other.  Same for creating a virtual handheld for your entire library--you must give your tracks unique names or they won't tranfer, scotching the whole point of creating a library image.

So, within this "File Management Studio" you would choose from copy (add a -1 to the filename), copy (overwrite), move disk file (delete original), and create secure backup (duplicate the file to a new location and notate the original with the dupe location, so that if the original failed to play, or the user elected to "restore", the duplicate would then be copied back to the original location, overwriting it).  This last one is my personal favorite, of course.

I think the time is ripe for this development, considering JRiver has pretty much smashed the competition in every other existing file management capability.  And if JRiver is toying with the idea of introducing DeCSSing into DVD ripping, there can't possibly be any concern that a highly functional copy/move studio would be a lawyer magnet.  So I say, let's boldy go . . .

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 03:23:16 am »

Maybe it's time to consider a different path format, like:

drive:\myrips\joe1\filename.mp3
             \joe2\filename.mp3

1) Since when does "Rename files from tags" move into different folders??
2) Do you have your artists organized joe1 and joe2 if they are the same??

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 03:40:29 am »

1) Since when does "Rename files from tags" move into different folders??
Since as long as I've known MC, which was waay back in v9.0 days...

Here's an old screenshot, but the tool is still the same today...

To my mind, it's pretty self explanatory, especially if you look at some the preset rules. If you do need more help/explanation, fire away...
(remember, this tool is one of the most powerful and useful in MC's arsenel so treat it with respect and think about what will happen when you apply your rules. this tool will move files on your hard drive if directory rules are applied)

2) Do you have your artists organized joe1 and joe2 if they are the same??
I've thought about it, and honestly, I can't remember ever coming across the problem of different artists with the same name

-marko.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 04:31:30 am »

Uuups - never thought about this way to do it  :o - but thx for the tip - next time I'll try ...

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 07:44:17 am »

Uuups - never thought about this way to do it  :o - but thx for the tip - next time I'll try ...

There's so much packed into MC12 that I too never thought about. Sure blows the sox offa anything else I've seen, and I haven't even gotten into using it for burning or for cataloging images. I played around with mp3tagstudio a bit and while it's an excellent tag-editing program, it is straight by-the-spec and not designed for cataloging and file management.
Pages: [1]   Go Up