INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client Server Style Operation of Media Center  (Read 2437 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
Client Server Style Operation of Media Center
« on: August 11, 2007, 07:21:13 am »

Has anyone attempted Client Server style operation of Media Center?  I have Media Center installed on a rack mounted media server in my closet and I am controlling it remotely using a combination of IR and a plug-in written for HomeSeer.  However, there are times when I want to open up a copy of the application on a PC in another part of the house, such as the kitchen, and maintain playlists, etc.  I do this currently through pcanywhere but this is cumbersome and not safe to provide to other family members.  I have looked at Main Lobby / Media Lobby and this doesn't do this really, and it costs about $500 when you register all of the required components.

What would be ideal would be to open a copy of Media Center, and instead of attaching to the remote library, take remote control of the application.  Then any songs I add to the playlist, etc. would actually be added on the server and played through the whole house audio system I have.  Is this possible today or is this a feature request?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Client Server Style Operation of Media Center
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:41:41 am »

It's a feature request. Would you always want the same thing playing through the whole house, or would you, at times, want different music in the kitchen and living room?

j

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »

I would want the same thing playing throughout the house.  I have 3 zones set up with the Media Center server, but they are not really zones, more like channels.  I run Media Center Server into a multi room audio system.  So Zone 1 in Media Center is pumped to every room on channel 1, and so on.  That way you can switch on channel 1 and listen to the same thing when you move from room to room.

ACraigL

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:41:42 am »

I think the Netgear products (EVA8000) have something similar called "follow me" mode allowing this type of behavior.

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:36:48 am »

I and others have been asking for months for a more true client/server interface.  Like you we usually install media servers using JRiver/Homeseer/Cinemar in a remote server room. Managing the playlists for the server from the "kitchen" can only be done at this time via some form of RDP.  Cinemar's music lobby is NOT an efficient means of managing playlists to stream throughout the house

You can however rip/backup from a remote location if you set it up right.

Make sure your "remote location" Media Center is setup exactly the same ways the the "Primary Location" media center. That means Montioring the same folder locations, ripping to the same folder location, saving coverart to the same folder location etc etc. When you rip a CD from the remote location the primary system will automatically import the songs after a few seconds.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41551.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41881.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41317.0

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:32:18 pm »

I downloaded and tried NetRemote from Girder.  It looks like it could do a reasonably good job of providing client/server like capabilities with MC.  However, it doesn't work from my media server.  I have been back and forth with their tech support numeorous times, and they are very cooperative, but something is interfering with the communication from the client to the server.  All other connections (including MC web interface work fine!).  However, if it did work, it would seem to give a user access to the server, create and maintain playlists, etc.

This type of functionality would be great from MC.  If this is ever to be considered, I would also ask that certain controls be available over the client.  If the wife and kids are to use it for maintaining their playlists, I would want to constrain them within certain areas, and not let them reconfigure some of the settings on the server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:01:15 pm »

... something is interfering with the communication from the client to the server.
That's usually a firewall.  You probably know that.  Routing could also be a problem.

NetRemote is a nice product.

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 06:07:21 pm »

I wish I could figure it out.  I set up MC on another machine on my network and could could connect to this one just fine.  All machines are running through the same router, no internal firewalls, etc.  The weird thing is that the Media Bridge software sees my remote PC connecting and the remote PC passes all communication tests within NetRemote.  They haven't been able to figure it out but it is a shame.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 06:09:53 pm »

Is the version of NetRemote compatible with MC12?   I know that they did some work a couple of months ago.

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:03:51 pm »

Yes. It works when I run MC on another machine.  But the copy of MC on my media server is a little more complex - four outputs, each with a separate sound card.  I wonder if the configuration has something to do with it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 06:45:10 am »

If you have four zones, it should still work, but I'm not certain.  Try it with one zone to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up