INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12 Across Network?  (Read 1621 times)

realdeal

• Recent member
MC 12 Across Network?
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:39:29 am »

I am new to MC so please bear with me...

I have 3 computers on my home network.  I have all my music on one drive that I share amongst the network.

Is it possible to install MC 12 on all 3 computers and be able to share the music that is stored in that one location?

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC 12 Across Network?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:46:15 am »

Sure is - just point your "Auto Import Folders" to your network drive/folder on each MC12 instance.  This however then gives you three independant MC12 Libraries (one on each PC).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 04:22:27 am »

There are also more advanced options that enable library sharing (as opposed to sharing just the media) that may or may not be suitable according to what it is you wish, and how comfortable you are with certain facets of networking. Doing a search for Glynor's library sharing script, or on library sharing on these forums will yield you good results.

Also, MC has a library server function that allows other MC installations to access a master copy of MC with it's library setup. This is very useful for the general scenario that you describe, however it falls down on video sharing (it works, but must download cache the entire video to the client before it will play).

C.

realdeal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:32:36 pm »

If using the library server option within MC12, would my wife be able to sync her ipod on her networked computer using the shared library?  Additionally, would I have to keep MC12 running on the "main" computer at all times?

Also, just curious....

Is there a program available that's actually designed for this specifically rather than having to play around with scripts, add-ins, etc.?

I would think that with the number of home networks increasing and the soon to be release Windows Home Server, there must be a lot of people wanting an easy solution for this. 

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:42:54 am »

If using the library server option within MC12, would my wife be able to sync her ipod on her networked computer using the shared library?  Additionally, would I have to keep MC12 running on the "main" computer at all times?

I don't know the answer to your question about ipod. But, to answer your second question, you definitely need MC12 running on the main computer at all times. You can minimize it to system tray if you like but it needs to be running.

Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 07:34:24 am »

Also, MC has a library server function that allows other MC installations to access a master copy of MC with it's library setup. This is very useful for the general scenario that you describe, however it falls down on video sharing (it works, but must download cache the entire video to the client before it will play).
That's true about video for some formats.  We hope to change this soon.

We're working on sharing TV at the moment, and this requires re-encoding, which should make conversion (and down-sizing) of video possible.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:06:34 am »

^^ Now that IS interesting...

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 04:31:11 pm »

That's true about video for some formats.  We hope to change this soon.

We're working on sharing TV at the moment, and this requires re-encoding, which should make conversion (and down-sizing) of video possible.

AMAZING!  MUSIC TO MY EARS (and eyes)!

realdeal

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 04:32:46 pm »

Sure is - just point your "Auto Import Folders" to your network drive/folder on each MC12 instance.  This however then gives you three independant MC12 Libraries (one on each PC).
Thanks
Nathan

Anyway to do this without 3 independent libraries? I would prefer just one library.  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 05:52:47 pm »

You can do it with Library Server.  The iPod sync still needs to occur on the server.  If you want to do it on the client, investigate the Library Sync feature.  It can copy the Library and the files from one PC to another.
Pages: [1]   Go Up