INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble connecting to library server...any tips? *Solved*  (Read 1420 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Trouble connecting to library server...any tips? *Solved*
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:59 am »

Since my employer moved to a new office, I haven't been able to connect to library server from work. They have a completely different firewall setup than before and I'm no network guru, so I could use some tips from you net wizards here.

My idea right now is quite simple, just using an commonly open port instead of the one I used before (1034)... But I don't know which ones I could try. I know that MSN traffic is let through, and I can connect to my ftp at home. Remote Desktop:ing doesn't work, so port 3389 is not a good one.

Actually, I don't know if I'm on the right track here at all, please correct me if I'm completely wrong :)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
/Martin

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Trouble connecting to library server...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:24 am »

i would try 8080 or 8081. but it's possible that the firewall blocks streaming (UDP) and so on.
don't forget to redirect/forward your new port in router-configuration.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:04:20 am »

The only UDP traffic MC uses is for searching (which won't work in this case anyways).

Port 80 is the best choice, but may be used by other programs...

j

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:01:22 pm »

i thought Library Server uses UDP (handshake)...

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:25:42 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear: The only UDP traffic from library server is the "Search for Servers" functionality. All content transfer is done with TCP.

j

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:01:49 pm »

Thanks for the tips! I'll set up port 80 tonight (don't use the web server on my desktop anyway so...) since it seems to be the most common port.

One thing I thought about; could it be that the companys firewall is blocking the INCOMING stream? I mean that it's possible to send packets to library server but that the firewall blocks the returning stuff?

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:19:16 am »

Thank you all!
I set LS to use port 80 and it worked excellent!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Trouble connecting to library server...any tips? *Solved*
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:48:33 pm »

I find that some firewalls and other systems these days tend to almost do packet analysis and can detect inappropriate traffic traveling over certain ports.  For example, I know I can use access my IMAP server from school over certain ports but not others.  And the ones that don't work with IMAP work with other programs.

I found a few open ports at my school and just use those for all the services I access from my home server.  It's unfortunate when you have to deal with tons of blocks ports!
Pages: [1]   Go Up